Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

“Large” Restaurant Customers need special accommodation?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Just throwing this out for considerstion, not my opinion...

I identify as a tall slender female (ha!). Should restaurants have seating which prevents my knees from hitting the underside of a table? Should bar stools always have padding since I don't have much of my own? Should the distance between chairs be closer so I can be a comfortable distance to the others in my party?

I identify as a lefted handed person (ha!). Should we switch the orientation of place settings, water glass and silverware? Should the TP be on the other side of the stall? Should door handles be changed to the other side?

What about if I identify as a great tipper, a horrible tipper, a fast eater, a slow eater, a yeller, a rude patron, a very short person, a drunk, allergic to 10000 things, a (insert anything here)... Should I be accommodated?

Just some thoughts to ponder...

I'm going to go out on a wild limb and say as a tall slender female, the world in general is probably designed to cater to you more than an obese person.

For a weight loss site, there's an interesting amount of casual anti-fat bias on here sometimes.

Yes, in my experience, any discomfort I ever experience in a restaurant or other public setting is due to me being relatively short. As a slender person, it already seems like the world is built for me. Airline seats, restaurant seating, movie theatre seats, etc . . . I can't think of a single situation where I've thought "This would be more comfortable if I weighed more."

Except when I have to sit for long periods on a hard, wooden seat
    :D

It must be the places I'm choosing to eat, usually they're pretty padded!

I know my experience isn't universal, I just think that generally it's probably harder to be comfortable in public settings if you are not obese. And even if I am uncomfortable in a harder seat or a booth that has a wider space between the seat and the table, I never have to worry about people staring at me (at least for my weight!) or a restaurant outright turning me away because there is no way I can fit.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    h7463 wrote: »

I identify as a tall slender female (ha!). Should restaurants have seating which prevents my knees from hitting the underside of a table? Should bar stools always have padding since I don't have much of my own? Should the distance between chairs be closer so I can be a comfortable distance to the others in my party?

I identify as a lefted handed person (ha!). Should we switch the orientation of place settings, water glass and silverware? Should the TP be on the other side of the stall? Should door handles be changed to the other side?

What about if I identify as a great tipper, a horrible tipper, a fast eater, a slow eater, a yeller, a rude patron, a very short person, a drunk, allergic to 10000 things, a (insert anything here)... Should I be accommodated?

I'm going to go out on a wild limb and say as a tall slender female, the world in general is probably designed to cater to you more than an obese person.

For a weight loss site, there's an interesting amount of casual anti-fat bias on here sometimes.

I'd say, for making an educated business decision about their investments and budget, any business will find that a larger proportion of people is in fact not large... That's a risk that they will take.

A 'weight loss' site is alway little bit 'anti fat' by nature.... There is no special bias involved, I'm sure... ;)

Yeah, I don't think the post that mentioned tall slender people was exhibiting anti-fat bias. I thought she was taking the argument to the extreme as a way of asking how far we should go in expecting a restaurant to cater to individual physical characteristics.

And to add to this, I'm just guessing, but I don't think we are talking about people who are just into the obese category, like around 200 lbs. Are we? While lots of folks are in the overweight/obese category, is the % who are closer to the 300+ lb range statistically numerous? At 200 lbs, do people have issues with restaurant seating?

I think, even the number 200 is relative.. At 6'2" and at the time close to 200 lbs, my father-in-law didn't fit into much of anything..car seats, airplane seats, restaurant booths... The challenge is 3-dimensional... :D
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Samquentin wrote: »
    I've been on both sides. I was a size 26 (313 lbs), now am a size 2 (142 lbs).... at 313 I couldn't fit into regular booths, and always asked for a table. now at 142, the booths I could fit in at 313, are uncomfortable for me now, as I am SO FAR AWAY from the table.

lol @ being so far away from the table!.....and kudos to you on the weight loss. Good Job!
  • lleeann2001
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'd say, for making an educated business decision about their investments and budget, any business will find that a larger proportion of people is in fact not large... That's a risk that they will take.

A 'weight loss' site is alway little bit 'anti fat' by nature.... There is no special bias involved, I'm sure... ;)

Yeah, I don't think the post that mentioned tall slender people was exhibiting anti-fat bias. I thought she was taking the argument to the extreme as a way of asking how far we should go in expecting a restaurant to cater to individual physical characteristics.

And to add to this, I'm just guessing, but I don't think we are talking about people who are just into the obese category, like around 200 lbs. Are we? While lots of folks are in the overweight/obese category, is the % who are closer to the 300+ lb range statistically numerous? At 200 lbs, do people have issues with restaurant seating?

I think, even the number 200 is relative.. At 6'2" and at the time close to 200 lbs, my father-in-law didn't fit into much of anything..car seats, airplane seats, restaurant booths... The challenge is 3-dimensional... :D

Well, I liked the idea that one poster gave a few messages up.....Perhaps some durable conversion seating might be possible for restaurants to invest in. When the word gets around, they would become known for accomodating those of a larger size and make more money which is their objective.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

Yes, in my experience, any discomfort I ever experience in a restaurant or other public setting is due to me being relatively short. As a slender person, it already seems like the world is built for me. Airline seats, restaurant seating, movie theatre seats, etc . . . I can't think of a single situation where I've thought "This would be more comfortable if I weighed more."

I have been obese 90% of my life and my biggest issue was then and is now being under 5'4. I'm almost 5'1 and can barely touch the ground in most chairs...

I'm a bit taller, but it's still an issue for me sometimes. Especially in office chairs. If I'm lucky, they've got the little adjustment handle underneath the seat . . .
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Samquentin wrote: »
    I've been on both sides. I was a size 26 (313 lbs), now am a size 2 (142 lbs).... at 313 I couldn't fit into regular booths, and always asked for a table. now at 142, the booths I could fit in at 313, are uncomfortable for me now, as I am SO FAR AWAY from the table.

This is the case for me too, although I'm not as small as you are. I sometimes feel surprised at how large things still feel, years after losing the weight. The only time I really had trouble around 300 lb was in certain theaters when seeing live shows, usually very old buildings with small seats, all I could think about was my thighs pressing against the sides of the seats and whether my arms and torso fat was touching my companion(s). It was awful but it was one of many things that served as a wake up call and motivated me to change things.

On the other hand, I'm ALL about accessibility for as many people as possible. Everyone, ideally.
  • lleeann2001
    Options
    congrats on your wdight lost @seltzermint555