Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

“Large” Restaurant Customers need special accommodation?

Options

Replies

• como_agua1
    como_agua1 Posts: 210 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Just throwing this out for considerstion, not my opinion...

@fjunjen1972 Should bar stools always have padding since I don't have much of my own?

this is me :D
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think something else to consider is just cold practicality. The restaurant business is hairy - most new restaurants won't survive. They are often moving into a space that is already laid out and don't have tons of money to change the layout to allow for plus size booths or chairs. And as any short woman (who sometimes feels like a 5 yr old who needs a booster seat in regular restaurant setups) will tell you, if you design a booth or chair for a 300+ lb person, many smaller people won't be able to use it. So do you have two booths that have to sit empty while people wait if no one that size happens to show up? Which is better for your profit margin - having space available to accommodate larger people and risking it sitting empty if no one who can use it shows up, or losing out on the business of larger people because they can't fit? And as previously asked, how big should you accommodate? Do you have booths for up to 300 lbs, and booths for up to 500 lbs?

Perhaps chain restaurants have better finances and more corporate backing to be able to design a more inclusive layout. Or some kind of convertible situation, where a regular setup can be converted if someone needs it. But most small restaurants, lunch shops, local dives etc are working with limited space and are desperate to serve as many people as possible to aim for a razor thin profit margin. Unless they find themselves often dealing with customers who can't eat there because of their size or embarrassing situations when they try to, I can't imagine doing much about it is possible for many of them.

While I feel awful for people whose size puts them in this situation in the first place, I'm not sure expecting restaurants to find a way to change that is realistic.

This is a good point. While I feel for people who are in this situation, I also have personally seen the negative impacts of making things like seating larger. Not trying to do the "well skinny people get shamed TOO!" nonsense that can get so prevalent on these discussions, but just talking about pure practicality. It's impossible to have one design that is going to fit everyone, so I think the move to provide a variety of options as far as practicable makes a lot more sense than just making everything bigger.

I'm short (well, average height for a woman - 5'4") and have been seated many times in restaurant booths where my feet dangle, the table is so high I can't cut my food without my elbows uncomfortably high and splayed, I have to perch on the edge of the seat, etc. If everything starts being made bigger, I'm not going to be able to eat at a restaurant either, and I'm not sure that's better (especially because I'm far from an outlier size-wise, 5'4" is pretty darn common).

In my experience, most of the things I interact with on a daily basis are built for a normal-BMI person of about 5'9" or 5'10". Those of us who are further from that standard than others will struggle sometimes. I can't reach the handholds standing on the train to work. I can't see over a podium if speaking at an event. I often can't reach the armrests of my seat because my arms are too short. The top shelf at the grocery store is beyond my reach. But if the world changed to suit me, then new problems would start for taller people.

The best we can do IMO is try to offer sensitivity, flexibility, and kindness and help people out where we can. Options are great. Tables, booths, bar tops, chairs with and without arms, moveable furniture if we can (especially when creating something new - retrofitting is understandably more complicated logistically and financially.)

5'4" is average for females (at least in the US), you aren't short. You are normal. The average male in the US is 5'9". I wonder who is building things?

I'm 5'0". I'm short, even for a woman. I have problems with restaurant seating sizes as well, dangling feet, difficulty reaching the table. I often feel like a child sitting in seats like that.
    This reminds me of this article I read last week.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/feb/23/truth-world-built-for-men-car-crashes

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    That was a difficult read. It shocked me to see the modern verbiage of people who "identify" as fat, obese, or large. That doesn't seem to be something up to personal choice.

Exactly - I was trying to figure out how to articulate that point. The denial was unbelievable

Fun fact - I live in the same neighborhood as that restaurant.
    I haven't been there since they moved to their current location. If their dessert option for Portland Dining Month wasn't panna cotta, I'd totally go this month.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Just throwing this out for considerstion, not my opinion...

I identify as a tall slender female (ha!). Should restaurants have seating which prevents my knees from hitting the underside of a table? Should bar stools always have padding since I don't have much of my own? Should the distance between chairs be closer so I can be a comfortable distance to the others in my party?

I identify as a lefted handed person (ha!). Should we switch the orientation of place settings, water glass and silverware? Should the TP be on the other side of the stall? Should door handles be changed to the other side?

What about if I identify as a great tipper, a horrible tipper, a fast eater, a slow eater, a yeller, a rude patron, a very short person, a drunk, allergic to 10000 things, a (insert anything here)... Should I be accommodated?

Just some thoughts to ponder...

In all serious, the things that a restaurant in the US (and Besaw's and the woman profiled in the article are) would be required to accommodate on your list would involve things that are included under the ADA.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    That was a difficult read. It shocked me to see the modern verbiage of people who "identify" as fat, obese, or large. That doesn't seem to be something up to personal choice.

Exactly - I was trying to figure out how to articulate that point. The denial was unbelievable

Fun fact - I live in the same neighborhood as that restaurant.
    I haven't been there since they moved to their current location. If their dessert option for Portland Dining Month wasn't panna cotta, I'd totally go this month.

I’ve only been once since they moved - I liked the old place better!