Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

“Large” Restaurant Customers need special accommodation?

Options

Replies

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Samquentin wrote: »
    I've been on both sides. I was a size 26 (313 lbs), now am a size 2 (142 lbs).... at 313 I couldn't fit into regular booths, and always asked for a table. now at 142, the booths I could fit in at 313, are uncomfortable for me now, as I am SO FAR AWAY from the table.

Yes! We go to a few places where I have to sort of perch on the edge of the booth seat to be close enough to the table to eat. If I sit back, or even sit normally, the table is just way out there. I'll drop all my salad in my lap!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should be free to do/think what they want and not control what other people do/think.

Restaurants can do whatever they think makes a profit, be that accommodating overweight people or not.

Likewise, overweight customers shouldn't expect businesses to make special exceptions for them. If you don't like it, go somewhere else

Yep, I'm 6'2". There are several movie theaters in my community I won't go to due to poor legroom. The ones that have decent (for me) leg room get my business.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I do have sympathy for obese people as I was once 280 lbs myself. But it was just this kind of thing, second guessing about chairs, being uncomfortable eating in front of people, feeling like an outcast in certain circumstances, not being able to join in with even normal activities, not being able to find nice clothes or look good in the ones I could find, that made me take a long look at myself and my lifestyle.

So I chose not to have to deal with those things anymore. Once I lost some of the weight I realised how much easier my life was (just putting on a pair of socks was now effortless) and determined not to go back. So those problems were the catalyst to me seeking a healthier lifestyle. If the world had changed to make me more comfortable about my size I would probably have carried on and eaten myself to 300, 400, lbs and an early grave.

Should we make an ATTEMPT to accommodate all shapes and sizes in public places absolutely but should obese people EXPECT to be accommodated everywhere? No.

The more we normalise obesity means there is even less incentive for people to make a change. This is only my opinion and I could well be proved wrong by statistical evidence.

Take smoking. (I am an off again on again smoker so know a bit about this) When I started smoking it was accepted everywhere. In the home, in public, in the work place. I can't remember any of my family or friends that didn't smoke. The outliers were non smokers, at that time anyway. We enabled each other by making it the norm. Restaurants, bars, clubs, offices, factories all provided ashtrays for us so we could kill ourselves in comfort and among friends.

When the law was changed to reflect the dangers and smokers were made to feel uncomfortable about the habit and not allowed to smoke in all the places where they had previously been able to, smoking reduced significantly. A lot more people made the change because they did not want to die and they did not want to be made to feel uncomfortable about their habit and excluded from public places. Now hardly any of my friends or family smoke and those that do are trying to quit.

Maybe this isn't the best comparison but it does show that disapproval of unhealthy lifestyles by society can make a difference, at least to the people who can accept a hard truth. And the hard truth with obesity is that it is unhealthy and is killing thousands and costing the health services massive amounts of money. Just like smoking, alcoholism and drug abuse. None of which is condoned in general society.

By making it the norm as a society we are not just accepting it we are actively enabling it.

I appreciate your comment so much! Maybe not enabling heavy people WILL give.them incentive to change. But then there will always be those who think they can be 300 PLUS POUNDS AND STILL BE healthy...? Isnt that another thread around here somewhere??...🌹

Knowing that I didn’t ‘fit’ in many places, and having people stare at me and mock me, did not give me incentive to change. I’d been fat since early childhood, I’d tried and been failed by a hundred different diets, and I’d lost all hope and belief that I could change.

It did make me hate myself to the point of self-harm and being suicidal, though. Do you think that’s a good thing?

I wonder why someone (2 someones) would "woo" this? Just wow.

I was wondering the same thing.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I do have sympathy for obese people as I was once 280 lbs myself. But it was just this kind of thing, second guessing about chairs, being uncomfortable eating in front of people, feeling like an outcast in certain circumstances, not being able to join in with even normal activities, not being able to find nice clothes or look good in the ones I could find, that made me take a long look at myself and my lifestyle.

So I chose not to have to deal with those things anymore. Once I lost some of the weight I realised how much easier my life was (just putting on a pair of socks was now effortless) and determined not to go back. So those problems were the catalyst to me seeking a healthier lifestyle. If the world had changed to make me more comfortable about my size I would probably have carried on and eaten myself to 300, 400, lbs and an early grave.

Should we make an ATTEMPT to accommodate all shapes and sizes in public places absolutely but should obese people EXPECT to be accommodated everywhere? No.

The more we normalise obesity means there is even less incentive for people to make a change. This is only my opinion and I could well be proved wrong by statistical evidence.

Take smoking. (I am an off again on again smoker so know a bit about this) When I started smoking it was accepted everywhere. In the home, in public, in the work place. I can't remember any of my family or friends that didn't smoke. The outliers were non smokers, at that time anyway. We enabled each other by making it the norm. Restaurants, bars, clubs, offices, factories all provided ashtrays for us so we could kill ourselves in comfort and among friends.

When the law was changed to reflect the dangers and smokers were made to feel uncomfortable about the habit and not allowed to smoke in all the places where they had previously been able to, smoking reduced significantly. A lot more people made the change because they did not want to die and they did not want to be made to feel uncomfortable about their habit and excluded from public places. Now hardly any of my friends or family smoke and those that do are trying to quit.

Maybe this isn't the best comparison but it does show that disapproval of unhealthy lifestyles by society can make a difference, at least to the people who can accept a hard truth. And the hard truth with obesity is that it is unhealthy and is killing thousands and costing the health services massive amounts of money. Just like smoking, alcoholism and drug abuse. None of which is condoned in general society.

By making it the norm as a society we are not just accepting it we are actively enabling it.

I appreciate your comment so much! Maybe not enabling heavy people WILL give.them incentive to change. But then there will always be those who think they can be 300 PLUS POUNDS AND STILL BE healthy...? Isnt that another thread around here somewhere??...🌹

Knowing that I didn’t ‘fit’ in many places, and having people stare at me and mock me, did not give me incentive to change. I’d been fat since early childhood, I’d tried and been failed by a hundred different diets, and I’d lost all hope and belief that I could change.

It did make me hate myself to the point of self-harm and being suicidal, though. Do you think that’s a good thing?

I've been woo'd elsewhere for wishing someone a speedy recovery from hospital. *shrug*
  • Phirrgus
    edited March 2019
    Options
    kodiakke wrote: »

I've been woo'd elsewhere for wishing someone a speedy recovery from hospital. *shrug*

Wow! I guess I shouldn't read much into it then. I've seen some here where it appears woo is used based on the poster and not what was posted. That's too bad. This is a peaceful debate forum for the most part. Spiteful woos just undermine that.

edit: Love that avatar by the way lol.
  • Phirrgus
    Options

Me too. Best-case scenario is they have a very different idea of what 'woo' means to me.

Me too...
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options

Me too. Best-case scenario is they have a very different idea of what 'woo' means to me.

Just read through this thread and tbh I've always thought "woo" was cheering someone on/being excited about a post, like "woo, you got this" it "woo, go you!" Why would mfp include mean reactions when they don't even have a down vote button?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Just read through this thread and tbh I've always thought "woo" was cheering someone on/being excited about a post, like "woo, you got this" it "woo, go you!" Why would mfp include mean reactions when they don't even have a down vote button?

It's not "mean," it's an attempt to give forum users a chance to identify what they think is misinformation.

Plenty of people still use it in the sense of cheering someone on.
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options

It's not "mean," it's an attempt to give forum users a chance to identify what they think is misinformation.

Plenty of people still use it in the sense of cheering someone on.

Oh okay, so it is being used (by some) as a down vote essentially. I guess I should clarify my woos from now on....or just stay away from that button to be safe/avoid confusion. Thanks!
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

nope
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    wel! said