Water weight?

Options
How do you know what is just water weight?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    If you stick to your healthy routine for a month or so, have your calorie goal set at a sensible level, stick to it, and log eating/exercise reasonably accurately, you'll see some little (few pounds) ups and downs on the scale from day to day, and a gradual, steady downward trend over the whole month or so. ("Steady downward trend" means the high weights will get a little lower, the low weights will get a little lower, just generally/overall, not every weigh-in).

Looking backward, the little ups and downs will have been mostly water weight. The overall downhill trend is mostly fat loss.

In my weight-trending app, one chunk of my weight loss looked like the graph below. (The connected down-hill-ish line is the trend; the little upright bars connect each daily weight to the trend. You can see that the daily weights bounce all over: That's water fluctuation. The downhill shows that I was losing fat (mostly).)

79f9phe4s9qg.png[/quote]

P.S. I accidentally lost weight too fast for a while during the time period shown. Don't do that: It's a Bad Plan. ;)
  • silacey08
    silacey08 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you stick to your healthy routine for a month or so, have your calorie goal set at a sensible level, stick to it, and log eating/exercise reasonably accurately, you'll see some little (few pounds) ups and downs on the scale from day to day, and a gradual, steady downward trend over the whole month or so. ("Steady downward trend" means the high weights will get a little lower, the low weights will get a little lower, just generally/overall, not every weigh-in).

Looking backward, the little ups and downs will have been mostly water weight. The overall downhill trend is mostly fat loss.

In my weight-trending app, one chunk of my weight loss looked like the graph below. (The connected down-hill-ish line is the trend; the little upright bars connect each daily weight to the trend. You can see that the daily weights bounce all over: That's water fluctuation. The downhill shows that I was losing fat (mostly).)

79f9phe4s9qg.png

P.S. I accidentally lost weight too fast for a while during the time period shown. Don't do that: It's a Bad Plan. ;)[/quote]

What app is that?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    silacey08 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

79f9phe4s9qg.png

P.S. I accidentally lost weight too fast for a while during the time period shown. Don't do that: It's a Bad Plan. ;)

What app is that?

Libra (for Android). There are others, similar: Happy Scale (iOS), Trendweight (need a free Fitbit account, I'm told), Weightgrapher, and more.