? for moms

Options
13»

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    "When people have another endocrine problem, like diabetes, we don't say, "if you care enough, you can will your pancreas into making enough insulin." Yet somehow lactation is the only endocrine system that we guilt women into feeling bad about not having complete control over. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/08/breastfeeding-graves-disease_n_3676156.html?ref=topbar
  • Catsteria
    Options
    I am for breastfeeding. I did it for only two weeks though, sadly. It wasn't for me for many many reasons. I look up to the women who can do it.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I breastfed all 4 of my girls but they weened themselves at 6 months which was fine with me because I was kinda ready to be done at that point too. I figured I had given them the ultimate nutrition for the first 6 months anyway.
    No matter which way to believe there are going to be critics so just do what feels right FOR YOU
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    One day i hope there is a female President of the United States and that she breast feeds while giving the state of the union address.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Did it both kids. The first one for 14 months (self weaned) and at 20 months the second is still going (usually once a day, sometimes twice, sometimes none).

I don't care what anyone else does.

I'll do me, you do you.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    One day i hope there is a female President of the United States and that she breast feeds while giving the state of the union address.

Sorry, but I don't want to see that. :noway: Haha.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i had every intention of breast feeding with my 1st son & was absolutely a basket case when my milk never came in. i tried using a hospital pump, going to lactation classes, drinking "Mother's Milk" tea & getting help/advice from friends but nothing ever happened. My kids were born 13 months apart & with my 2nd i tried again but again no milk ever came in. Hubby gently reminded me that it wasn't good for me to stress myself out as much as i did with the 1st over not being able to breast feed. {God bless that man!!}

Fast forward to today -- my kids are 8 & 7, both doing very well in their school classes & very healthy. They have both reached all of their developmental milestones early so i don't feel that not breast feeding was a detriment to their well being. In summary, i would have loved to be able to breast feed but my body did not cooperate at all. Please don't think i'm trying to discourage you at all, just sharing my experiences - i wish you the best in whatever path you choose for you & your baby.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

Sorry, but I don't want to see that. :noway: Haha.

Do you honestly watch the state of the union address anyway? come on, now. lol ;)
  • DayDreamr_41
    Options
    Didn't try with my oldest, next 4 I tried but were bottle fed from about 3-4 months on, youngest I nursed until 20 months.
  • carmichaels99
    Options
    I had a very sick baby at 27 weeks. Finally got him home after 4.5mths. He had lots of tummy issues but I was able to nurse him until he was almost 3. :)
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Nursed my youngest far too long (he traded the boob in permanently for chocolate cake on one of his birthdays at my begging for release). Glad I did it and I encourage anyone to try to work it out. I was active duty military then, too, and spent some time pumping. The colonel walked into the ladies room once when I was pumping to show off his new facility to some other bigwigs. I'm not sure who was more embarrassed.

You don't need all those gadgets to pump, either. Ziplock baggies, a thermos to stuff them in, and a dominant hand will get the job done. Be sure to pump and freeze during the last weeks of your maternity leave to get a stock of milk ready for when you go back.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone be against it? Whats to be against?

^ This. It doesn't matter to me if a woman chooses to breastfeed or formula feed, not my business. But no matter which they choose, why would anyone be against breastfeeding?