Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

is protein shakes considered calories?

JohnDaConqueror
JohnDaConqueror Posts: 52 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
some days I drink a protein shake with 8-ounces water and one scoop, but is it even considered calories for a diet? The reason I ask is because shakes is coming from a powder and not solid foods. For example, If I hit my calorie goal but knowing that 200 something of those calories were from a protein shake, is this good or do I have to make up calories for the protein shakes with food?

The one i consume is called : Gold standard whey - Double Chocolate
Serving Size : 1 Scoop
Cals: 120
total fat: 1g
Saturated: 0.5g
Trans: 0
Poly: 0
Mono: 0
Choles: 30mg
Sodium: 130mg
Total Carbs: 3g
Dietary fiber: 0
Sugar: 1g
added sugar: -
Protein: 24g

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Protein shakes are a low calorie option to get a good boost of protein if you can’t get it with normal food. I personally try to eat my protein more than drink it but honestly, it’s tough for me to eat 100g of protein a day so powder is a good substitute. It doesn’t hurt your diet, but yes you have to count the calories.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    some days I drink a protein shake with 8-ounces water and one scoop, but is it even considered calories for a diet? The reason I ask is because shakes is coming from a powder and not solid foods. For example, If I hit my calorie goal but knowing that 200 something of those calories were from a protein shake, is this good or do I have to make up calories for the protein shakes with food?

If anything, getting calories from non solid food is where extra calories creep in and lead towards weight gain, requiring the most vigilance.

Exactly. I can't count the amount of times I've heard or read people claiming they "barely eat" and just can't lose weight. They're drinking things like 600+ calorie frappuccinos and don't even consider it.

Mmmmm....liquid calories.......wlufpxfsevpe.jpg
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    If it has calories (which it does), then it counts as calories.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    All calories count no matter where they come from or how they are consumed