Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

is protein shakes considered calories?

2»

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    If it goes in your mouth and has calories....you count it no matter the form it comes in.
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    edited March 2019
  • AvianDB
    AvianDB Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2019
    Am I doing myself injustice by not weighing the scoop, how much is the “scoop” off by, is it a lot? I use Six Stay Trip Choc whey, 180 a scoop.
    I have a pretty large deficit so the inaccuracy doesn’t bother me too much, but if it’s significant I’ll probably start weighing it, or do more cardio!
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    I always weigh for accuracy.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    An 8oz sirloin steak offers the about the same nutritional value as 2 scoops of your protein shake. And it will fill you up.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    AvianDB wrote: »
    Am I doing myself injustice by not weighing the scoop, how much is the “scoop” off by, is it a lot? I use Six Stay Trip Choc whey, 180 a scoop.
    I have a pretty large deficit so the inaccuracy doesn’t bother me too much, but if it’s significant I’ll probably start weighing it, or do more cardio!

I found mine was always under, which wouldn't be an issue for calories, but since the point was protein I now use weight to make sure I'm getting the protein I expect.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    corrarjo wrote: »
    An 8oz sirloin steak offers the about the same nutritional value as 2 scoops of your protein shake. And it will fill you up.

And it tastes delicious.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    AvianDB wrote: »

@AvianDB

Why wonder about it when it's so simple to find out?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I've been vegetarian for over 27 years. I'm actually a pretty happy person. (And a condition on my scalp went away about 2 weeks after I went meatless and hasn't been back much since.)
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 410 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The OP eats chicken, turkey, and fish. I'd be sad if I couldn't eat meat.

Vegetarians generally chose that for ethical reasons. I'm sad there aren't more vegetarians.

I'm glad there aren't more vegetarians...lol...I kid 😁
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member

A few 8 ounce steaks and I could buy another 30 something serving jar of protein powder. Sometimes steak ain't in the budget.

But it sure is tastier.