Weighing food=wasting food?

2»

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I like to think of it this way... Let's say you have a baby that weighs 9lb 13oz. You don't just cut off the baby's foot so that it weighs an even 9lbs. You simply make your baby book entry read "9lb 13oz."

You could make the baby run later to burn off the calories those extra 13oz packed on, though. Just.... strap it to the treadmill or something.
    I also support 13oz feet and peg legs.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    I actualy find it is saving me money as i buy a packet of meat e.g. four pork chops, then pre-weigh out portions and freeze them individually and just defrost the day I want to eat them. It's making food go further with less waste :smile:
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 595 Member
    We typically have to cook extra pieces of chicken to get enough protein. We try to eat 5-6 oz per meal. We weigh out what we want and put the rest up for leftovers. I love to warm it up and eat it in my salad.
  • LyndaTay
    LyndaTay Posts: 48 Member
    I weigh it then save whatever is leftover and scramble with some eggs for breakfast or make a nice salad or wrap with it for lunch. I seldom ever throw away food, especially meat!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    I weigh the food to identify it's contents, not to shrink the portion based on the results. So if I decide I want a particular piece of meat, I weigh it and document the five ounces or whatever it is. If I weigh it and determine it's five ounces and I really only want to eat three ounces, I cut the excess off and throw it back with the rest of the meat on the table. Or if it's just me, I throw it in a container and chop up the other two ounces to add protein to a salad for lunch the next day.

Most of us are not overweight due to our excessive consumption of lean meat. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff over an ounce of meat here or there. Weigh it to document your consumption, not necessarily to limit it.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    How much are you cooking that you have too much after it's prepared?
    I wonder whether you could weigh it before cooking it.
    Then you would have "just the right amount."
    What do you do with the extra meat scraps?

Eat it.
    Just at a different meal.
    Think "leftovers" I suppose
    Lunch tomorrow, etc.

:-)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    not currently tracking, but when I do track, I weigh my food, eat it, log it, and towards the end of the day I see how many calories I have left over, whether I need to eat more protein etc, and choose something to eat based on that. If I have to cut something down to size to be able to fit it into my calorie goal, the rest of it goes in a container in the fridge and I eat it the next day.

My local supermarket had a special offer on, something like 24 different size containers for two or three Bahraini dinars. If you get freezer proof and microwave proof plastic containers you can store them in the fridge, freezer or use them in the microwave to reheat and/or thaw them as necessary. IMO they're a great investment, and no need to waste food.... and I still use them when I'm not tracking, except that I don't weigh my portions... I eat until I'm satisfied and put the rest in the fridge for the next day.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    What I do is fairly complex, but I have a system. What I don't eat, I put in the refrigerator. Then I eat it another day.

I detect sarcasm here... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But, yeah. That's pretty much what I do.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    What I don't eat, I put in the refrigerator.
    Then I eat it another day.

This is what I do too.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    What I don't eat, I put in the refrigerator.
    Then I eat it another day.

This is what I do too.

I definitely live off of leftovers for a large portion of the week.