Order me to be sensible, please?

Options
2»

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    If you really need some stranger(s) to tell you to be sensible and take care of yourself, OK, be sensible and take care of yourself. Why you would cede that responsibility to a group of strangers escapes me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    So that's five votes for BodyPump, right? ;)

(OK, brain. You and I need to talk about how exercise is not an absolute moral good. And also how rest days can be a good thing to do even when they coincide with your desire not to get up early...)

May I add a suggestion?

If you can afford it, schedule a massage with an actual credentialed massage therapist (sports/rehab type, not just relax-y).

With what you describe feeling after your hike, it has the potential to improve some compensatory imbalances and stresses that may cause discomfort (or other problems) on top of the injury; it will seem like you're doing something positive for your body (like exercise, but not exercise); and it still counts as a rest day.

As a bonus, I've found I can grill my MT about stretches that will help the areas they've found tightened up, without aggravating the injury.

Ooh, that's a good thought! I've been meaning to look into finding someone along those lines anyway, and failing to get round to it. I have a suspicion that one of the reasons I strained that thigh to start with was that I was compensating for my permabroken left ankle. I'm probably reaching a stage where I actually need to find some expert that I can rock up to saying 'Hi, my body is broken in these ways, how can I best work around that without breaking it in exciting new ways instead?'

IMO, oversimplifying:

Physical therapy referral for "please help me reprogram my movement patterns so I'm less likely to injure myself" (which can be a pretty big deal after large-scale weight loss, since one has grooved-in movement habits for a substantially different weight distribution (not just weight amount)). Use the specific injury to get the referral, but exploit the PT to work on movement patterns overall.

MT is good in the shorter run for those "X hurts so I'm favoring it, thus over-tightening muscle group Y" (which creates its own discomfort and maybe injury potential). They can get muscle group Y back into a less-stressed state, then may be able to suggest stretches to help you do that same thing yourself, since the compensatory movement patterns are probably continuing.

Just my opinions.

(I use bodywork professionals enthusiastically to get the parts tuned up, and keep them tuned up. For me, that include regular massage, physical therapy when there's a reason, and regular visits to an osteopath (University-clinic professor who does manipulation) to keep my back from causing bigger routine troubles. I always ask about stretches or other strategies, when there's some new or stubborn "thing". And yes, I feel very, very fortunate and grateful to be able to afford these things either out of my own pocket or via insurance. I'm far from wealthy, but it's a priority for me. For those on tighter budgets/in different circumstances, an option might be looking into massage schools where students do massages at a very reduced price, supervised by an instructor.)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    "Sit your kitten down and rest!"

OMG! How did you teach your kitten to do that?

The secret to training cats is convincing the cat that the thing you want it to do was actually its idea.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous ragdoll! Now follow your lazy kitten's lead for a few days. :)

@apullum Well noted.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    For some reason that pic just makes me want to curl up on a floor somewhere for zzzzzs.