Weight loss and keeping a bum.

Options
I'm not looking to lose weight just yet as I'm 2 weeks postpartum, but I know that when you lose weight you lose water retention, fat, and muscle. Is there anyway to keep a bum during weight loss or do you have to wait until you reach your goal weight and then build the muscle back? And how do you go about gaining muscle back if you're eating at a deficit or maintenance?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    You can maintain, and even gain a small amount of muscle, while in a deficit, especially if you are a beginner. I would focus on working on the areas you want to develop (as well as overall full body's trength straining) now, and that will give you the best results.

However if you have fat to lose, it will come from everywhere, and you will likely be losing more fat in that area than muscle you will develop, so you will probably still see it shrink. Strength training is an all around good idea tho.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You can retain as much muscle as possible if you get adequate protein and lift weights. Unfortunately you can't spot reduce so some fat will likely be lost from that area making it appear smaller. Once you've lost the amount of weight you want, as a beginner you can gain muscle while continuing to eat at a small deficit or maintenance.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You can maintain, and even gain a small amount of muscle, while in a deficit, especially if you are a beginner. I would focus on working on the areas you want to develop (as well as overall full body's trength straining) now, and that will give you the best results.

However if you have fat to lose, it will come from everywhere, and you will likely be losing more fat in that area than muscle you will develop, so you will probably still see it shrink. Strength training is an all around good idea tho.
    You can retain as much muscle as possible if you get adequate protein and lift weights. Unfortunately you can't spot reduce so some fat will likely be lost from that area making it appear smaller. Once you've lost the amount of weight you want, as a beginner you can gain muscle while continuing to eat at a small deficit or maintenance.

Thank you guys. I know I can't spot reduce and it comes off everywhere so I will lose the majority of my bum but just wondering if it was possible to gain muscle and lose fat at a deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Memes-About-Squats.jpg

But seriously, google Bret Contreras, the Glute Guy, and maybe get "Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body" https://smile.amazon.com/Strong-Curves-Womans-Building-Better/dp/1936608642/ref=sr_1_1
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You can keep the muscle in the glutes with proper stimulation (progressive strength training) and adequate protein while in a deficit. But the fat, that is up to genetics.

To gain it back you want to eat at maintenance or a surplus and again, proper programming and protein.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thank you guys. I know I can't spot reduce and it comes off everywhere so I will lose the majority of my bum but just wondering if it was possible to gain muscle and lose fat at a deficit.

There's a thread on that!

Hints:
    beginner to strength training,
    not overly aggressive deficit,
    good programming and execution,
    adequate protein consumption,
    available fat reserves, and
    adequate rest and sleep...

YA-BET-YA!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Two weeks postpartum - don't be doing any squats til you're cleared by your doctor.

That's why I mentioned I'm not losing weight just yet as I'm only 2 weeks postpartum. It's for when I'm cleared too.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

There's a thread on that!

Hints:
    beginner to strength training,
    not overly aggressive deficit,
    good programming and execution,
    adequate protein consumption,
    available fat reserves, and
    adequate rest and sleep...

YA-BET-YA!

Is there any programming you'd recommend? I'm completely new to strength training and have no idea!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    Is there any programming you'd recommend? I'm completely new to strength training and have no idea!

I believe that you will probably find what you need if you go through this list: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I believe that you will probably find what you need if you go through this list: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thank you!!