Is this what maintenance looks like?

Options
AmyC2288
AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
5dln2xwh0h11.jpg

Goal is set for loss of .5lbs/week as I'm within 15-20 lbs of goal weight and on the shorter side so don't have a large calorie allowance.

Those of you who are maintaining, I know you have a "range" you fall into for weighing. To me, it would appear that I've unintentionally entered into maintenance. It's hard to tell if it's that or not because I'm only looking for .5 lbs loss per week avg. or if it's actually happening but being masked by normal fluctuations.

Any feedback is welcomed :)

I'm 5'5''-30 yrs- SW 208 CW 165- Desk Job- Exercise 4-5x per week-using a food scale to weigh.

Replies

• AmyC2288
    Options
    Thanks @MikePTY . I use Libra! It's currently got me at + .5lbs total for March and trending up but I've noticed it can be very sensitive to fluctuations.
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    Libra for reference

pkqbqc639719.jpg

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You have a water weight bump. That's it. Where are you in your menstrual cycle?

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Libra for reference

Now that I'm losing slowly (verrrrry slowly) my weight trend will flip to red occasionally (usually around cyclic water weight fluctuations. I've learned not to sweat it.
    9jbggth7htv3.jpg
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    Thank guys. @quiksylver296 I'm at the tail end right now actually. Have been using Libra for a while and do typically see a small increase right before (around the 10th or so) which didn't happen this month. I guess it just decided to show later than usual for some reason. Also, thanks for the article. Was a good read.

@pinuplove - Are you set at -.5lbs as well? I imagine once you're down into the 130's things get incredibly slow. How frustrating that must be! I really didn't think I would struggle as much as I am with switching to -.5lbs per week. Yes I get a few more calories, but if I want to burn a significant number of calories by working out, the level or energy I have to put into the workout is so much more than what it used to be. It's like- I have to work out way harder which makes me more hungry which negates the extra calories I have been given (am I making any sense?) *facepalm*

• pinuplove
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thank guys. @quiksylver296 I'm at the tail end right now actually. Have been using Libra for a while and do typically see a small increase right before (around the 10th or so) which didn't happen this month. I guess it just decided to show later than usual for some reason. Also, thanks for the article. Was a good read.

@pinuplove - Are you set at -.5lbs as well? I imagine once you're down into the 130's things get incredibly slow. How frustrating that must be! I really didn't think I would struggle as much as I am with switching to -.5lbs per week. Yes I get a few more calories, but if I want to burn a significant number of calories by working out, the level or energy I have to put into the workout is so much more than what it used to be. It's like- I have to work out way harder which makes me more hungry which negates the extra calories I have been given (am I making any sense?) *facepalm*

I'm not set for anything, lol. I'm within a healthy weight range and while a few more pounds would be nice (125 is probably my lower limit) I'm not working very hard for it at this point. My weight loss over the last few months has averaged 1 pound per month.

Keep in mind, accuracy is VERY important when your deficit is so small. Just a few daily little errors or one 'F-it' day a week can easily wipe it out. I get you on the working out thing. The calories I earn don't really offset the increase in hunger it causes.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Libra for reference

pkqbqc639719.jpg

I would look at the overall trend vs. the plus/minus number. If you had a trend of 165.5 on the 8th but have a trend of 164.4 now, that to me indicates that you are trending downwards.
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I'm not set for anything, lol. I'm within a healthy weight range and while a few more pounds would be nice (125 is probably my lower limit) I'm not working very hard for it at this point. My weight loss over the last few months has averaged 1 pound per month.

Keep in mind, accuracy is VERY important when your deficit is so small. Just a few daily little errors or one 'F-it' day a week can easily wipe it out. I get you on the working out thing. The calories I earn don't really offset the increase in hunger it causes.

That's awesome- I can't wait to be where you are!

I've been at this a year and still catch myself slipping on weighing things- the other day I realized I had been using the banana weight with peel included... :smirk: . I have even started tracking my sugar free gum as I realized I was eating about 20-25 cals per day in them.

Yes- the bolded is a much simpler way of putting what I was trying to say lol. Glad someone else gets it!
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    @MikePTY how dare you suggest I actually use logic and reasoning to determine my thoughts... :lol:

• AmyC2288
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    I'm also at .5lb a week goal and my day to day is all over the place, so I look at that number on the top of Libra, that shows my loss so far for this year. Even with fluctuations (right now I'm higher than I was at last week, due to water retention etc), it's still showing a yearly trend that puts me at .5lb a week or slightly greater, when averaged out over the weeks of the year so far.

Your current yearly trend is a little over 7lbs, divided by 11 weeks = a little over .5lb averaged out weekly. You're right on track :)

Good idea! Thank you, that does make me feel better!
  • pinuplove
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You can also adjust the number of days Libra uses to calculate your trend and see how that affects it. Lengthening the look-back period should help with the green-to-red trend flips if they really bother you. I believe @AnnPT77 turned me on to this. I knew it was an option but never really paid much attention to it. I have my smoothing days set to 20 now and forecast set to 30.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    You can also adjust the number of days Libra uses to calculate your trend and see how that affects it. Lengthening the look-back period should help with the green-to-red trend flips if they really bother you. I believe @AnnPT77 turned me on to this. I knew it was an option but never really paid much attention to it. I have my smoothing days set to 20 now and forecast set to 30.

I'm glad to know that helped someone!

I tend to think that the "right" setting depends a bit on one's personal psychology/personality. I used the default 7 & 7 for quite a while in maintenance: Maybe would've been better off with them being longer, sooner. I'm now at 30 days smoothing, 60 days forecast. Now in year 3 of maintenance, I found myself being a little self deluded, if I decided I needed a little weight reduction, when I hit a goal weight for a few days in a row. Because I'm an uneven eater, planning in semi-regular big indulgences, I'd look at that projection based on 7 days slight down-trend, and take it as license to enjoy myself in ways that weren't really sensible quite yet. 60 days forecast days keeps my attention on the actual long-term trend.

Loosely, the smoothing days affects how bumpy vs. linear the line in the past is; and the forecast days affects how much recent days vs. further-back days affect the angle of the projection line.

I don't think I ever quite understood exactly what each of those did, so thanks again!
  • AmyC2288
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @pinuplove
    @AnnPT77
    @zeejane03
    @quiksylver296

While I have an abundance of wisdom here... I've been toying with the idea of changing from sedentary + eating back exercise cals to lightly active (maybe even active?) and not eating back exercise cals. I am NOT a math person- so trying to work everything out to see if it makes sense makes my head spin. Conservatively, I log anywhere from 800-1200 intentional calories burned each week and I'm very consistent.

If I were to switch, it asks how many times per week are you planning to exercise. Would I just leave that 0? Also, would I still leave the part that asks "What is your goal" at .5lbs loss per week?

Is this a terrible idea? LOL
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fitness tracker or have any interest in getting one? I have a FitBit and used it while losing and now maintaining, and I find it to be incredibly helpful in maintenance to really understand what my upper limit of calories should be. It might take some of the guess work out of what you’re trying to figure out here.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    @AmyC2288 The little box for number of workouts per week has exactly zero effect on how anything here is calculated :)

Sounds like you're wanting to move to a TDEE calculation vs the NEAT formula MFP is based on. I did exactly the same thing around the middle of last year. I just bumped up my activity level and adjusted accordingly after I had a few solid weeks of data. I liked having a set calorie goal for each day.

I'd leave your loss goal at .5 lb per week.

(Disclaimer - I haven't logged my food in several months, but this method did work for me while I was still logging. I just got lazy :lol: )
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    Libra for reference

pkqbqc639719.jpg

I am confused that the Libra graph would not show this as a downward graph with a small uptick during the last 3 days.

This is a trending weight full lb down in the ten days depicted, i e a loss that is FASTER than 0.5 lbs a week.

You should also compare with your trending weight at the same point of your cycle a "month" ago....
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Do you have a fitness tracker or have any interest in getting one? I have a FitBit and used it while losing and now maintaining, and I find it to be incredibly helpful in maintenance to really understand what my upper limit of calories should be. It might take some of the guess work out of what you’re trying to figure out here.

I actually had some interest in a fitbit last year and instead of dropping a ton of money on one I bought a basic knock off one on Amazon for $35 to see if it was something that would actually be of use to me and that I would consistently use. I honestly hated it...I really hate having something around my wrist (always have), but I could get past that. I just didn't find it particularly useful in anyway. It ended up just being one more thing to keep up with- remembering to charge it, remembering to put it back on after shower or sleep (I couldn't sleep in it!!), then getting annoyed if I left it at home...yeah it just didn't work out for me. I was so glad I didn't spend the money on the real deal!