Running. Let's do it right this time!

Replies

• cprobertson12
    cprobertson12 Posts: 90 Member
    Fair enough on the cushioning! I mentioned that because the ones I was using last week had very little cushioning on the bottom and I was feeling every bump,stone - cushioning was the wrong word - my bad!

I've got myself a pair of asics (Gel contend 5s, I believe? I'll double check tonight!) with orthotic insoles for the overpronation. I've not had a chance to run in them yet (still recovering from last week - not gonna lie, it gets you down when you hurt yourself like that - but it's okay, because it's made me stronger - and perhaps wiser, though time will tell on that one!

Tonight's plan is to walk up to the sports club for tonight's run with the running club - meeting at 1900.

If the weather's crap (it may very well be), I'll grab the bus which cuts out maybe 2/3 of the journey - my thinking is to stay dry as long as I can so I don't get too cold before starting the run (I'll warm up while running of course - but if I start too cold it won't be a fun experience!)
    I've been looking into a heart rate monitor - been debating getting one of the chest-strap types so that I can use it while swimming as well. I've not decided on anything yet though!
  • cprobertson12
    edited April 2019
    Sorry! I've got some newbie questions that I need to get out the way!

Q1: The weather here is frequently not good, to put it mildly. It rains a lot, and is often windy. Average temperatures range from 1-18°C across the year, with 3-12°C being common this time of year, and it rains roughly half of the time. Woo-hoo!

My current running clothes consist of a quick-dry top, optional fleeces, a lightweight, vented waterproof reflective jacket, and tracksuit bottoms.

If it's raining - I'm worried that my tracksuit bottoms will get soaked and I'll end up dragging around extra weight - plus I'll be cold.

Would it be better to:
    A: Put waterproof trousers over the top of them (poor breathability - I'll be sweaty and hot in them)
    -Or-
    B: Wear lycra leggings, and just accept that I'll get wet but that I'll keep warm by running. Despite having amazing legs, I'm a little self conscious about them - is it worth just biting the bullet and wearing them?

See - I'm such a noob I don't even know what to wear properly! :tongue:

Q2: Sorry, definitely going to show my newbieness here! I said I would either walk or bus to the place where I'm meeting for the run tonight...

Is it acceptable to wear my running shoes even if I'm just walking? (In this case it's a 1-2-mile walk depending on the exact route I take)?

I would assume it's okay - but I just wanted to check as I'm a little nervous about going tonight and I don't want to ruin my shoes prematurely!

Q3: Hydration - obviously important - what's the best way to carry water? I do actually have an hydration pouch from when I used to go hiking - but I think that's superfluous for something like this. Maybe just a belt with a water bottle on the back?

Probably can just leave it at the running club on short runs like tonight, but I'll need to bear it in mind for future. I'm a thirsty sort of guy!

Q4: How many roads must a man walk run down?

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    I’m not here to say I told you so... ;)

If you’re getting blisters, the shoes may or may not be the problem. Socks may also be to blame, especially if you’re running in standard cotton socks. Get a few pairs of running socks when you go buy your shoes. I know, they do cost more than regular cotton socks, but I have never had another blister once I got moisture wicking socks.

Lol! I knew all you were right all along - just too stingy to do anything about it!

I was supposed to get gait analysis and shoe-fitting at DW Sports Fitness yesterday, but life got in the way - so I'm going tonight instead.

I also get paid today - so shoes are this month's big purchase! Woo!

Blister-wise, I'm pretty sure it was those shoes - the day I got them I changed over to my regular boots when I got home and walked another 2 miles with no problems whatsoever.

That's not to discount the socks too! If I'm going to be running a lot (which I intend to), then it's probably worth buying a pair from the store tonight while I'm at it.

::thumbs-up::

Properly fitted running shoes are worth the investment. I spent around $120 on mine after having my gait analyzed at a local running store. They also worked with me on lacing techniques to get an even better fit.

Shen starting c25k my first 3 weeks were the hardest by far. I just completed week 7 tonight and it is coming much easier.

Go slow... really slower.... don’t bounce up and down. I also took 2 rest days in between runs at the beginning instead of just one. It will take time for your body to recover in between runs.

Aye, I've heard the first few weeks - and especially the first week are the most challenging! I was like that when I started swimming last year - at first I couldn't do a length without a 5-minute rest in between, but after a few short weeks I could easily to 50+ lengths without really thinking much about it! Hopefully running will be a similar story!

I think I'll have to follow you in taking two rest days - I'm definitely not up for a run tonight. The blisters are mostly gone, but there's still a lot of muscle (and probably tendon) ache too! Getting better slowly but surely though - stretches are helping too!

I may have been overworking on my first run as well - and I'm unsure if I was bouncing or not (I naturally bounce when I walk, so I may have been bouncing and just didn't realise!).

I have just heard back from the local running club - I've been invited to meet with their most experienced coach who is doing a session with another starter running on Tuesday - so hopefully we'll start ironing out my running technique problems!

That said, technique improves just by doing it - part of why I had a sudden spike in swimming ability was because my technique was improved by doing it all the time - and I hope running will be the same! :smile:
    Lift weights, it will help you run injury free.
    I agree with the other posters.

First thing, before you even get back on a treadmill/outside and do a run - go and get fitted for PROPER running shoes. Find out your pronation - I didn't and had YEARS of issues. The problem - I overpronate (severely on my right foot - I'm flat footed on my right) and had the wrong shoes. Correct running shoes will eliminate a lot of issues. My running shoes cost $200(AUD) and it's worth the investment. I also use cross-training shoes for solely gym work, trail running shoes for when i run on gravely surfaces and proper hiking shoes for hiking in the hills.

Secondly, slow down. If you cannot sustain a conversation while doing the running component of C25K, you're still too fast. And remember - take it as slow as you can. No point rushing through the program - you will injure yourself!

Thirdly - get some strength training in. Squats, deadlifts, hammy rolls etc will help your running.

Hope this helps and good luck! I look forward to hearing how you're going in C25K :-)

EDIT: 200th post! WOOTS!

Two posts in quick succession about strength-training!

This is part of my agenda - as I'm getting back into swimming that will help as well I plan on starting this round about the middle of the 9-week Couch-to-5k. I have had a number of suggestions for this: circuit training (deadlift>press-up>squat>shoulder press>step up?bent over row>load carriage lunge>trunk rotation>repeat) has been suggested to me as being good for helping me build muscle mass and endurance to make scuba easier (and I can do all of them from the comfort of my home, with gear (DIY or store bought) that I have lying around) - though I might make a habit of going to the gym as a form of motivation!

It was suggested I start with 2 sets with 12-15 reps (low resistance) once or twice a week for a few weeks to get started (in addition to stretches 2-4 times a week, and running 3 times a week) - so we'll see how that goes!

Add side bends, you will develop thick obliques that will hold your trunk up when you run, I use to have pain in the side of my core until I train my obliques.
  • tirowow12385
    Lose weight, it will be the biggest factor in how comfortable your run will be, the general point is, the lighter you are, the better it will be for your joint, muscle and heart.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member

Q1: The weather here is frequently not good, to put it mildly. It rains a lot, and is often windy. Average temperatures range from 1-18°C across the year, with 3-12°C being common this time of year, and it rains roughly half of the time. Woo-hoo!

My current running clothes consist of a quick-dry top, optional fleeces, a lightweight, vented waterproof reflective jacket, and tracksuit bottoms.

If it's raining - I'm worried that my tracksuit bottoms will get soaked and I'll end up dragging around extra weight - plus I'll be cold.

Would it be better to:
    A: Put waterproof trousers over the top of them (poor breathability - I'll be sweaty and hot in them)
    -Or-
    B: Wear lycra leggings, and just accept that I'll get wet but that I'll keep warm by running. Despite having amazing legs, I'm a little self conscious about them - is it worth just biting the bullet and wearing them?

Q2: Sorry, definitely going to show my newbieness here! I said I would either walk or bus to the place where I'm meeting for the run tonight...

Is it acceptable to wear my running shoes even if I'm just walking? (In this case it's a 1-2-mile walk depending on the exact route I take)?

I would assume it's okay - but I just wanted to check as I'm a little nervous about going tonight and I don't want to ruin my shoes prematurely!

Q3: Hydration - obviously important - what's the best way to carry water? I do actually have an hydration pouch from when I used to go hiking - but I think that's superfluous for something like this. Maybe just a belt with a water bottle on the back?

Probably can just leave it at the running club on short runs like tonight, but I'll need to bear it in mind for future. I'm a thirsty sort of guy!

Q1 -

go with the lycra and enjoy being wet. Running in waterproofs is no fun, and besides, you'll just get wet from sweat. You're in Scotland, wet is what you do.

Q2 -
    yes, don't worry about wearing running shoes for the walk in. It's fine. Just don't spend all day everyday in them.

Q3 - you probably won't need hydration during the run with the club. You can run a good hour most likely (depending on the outside temperature (note, Scotland)) without drinking. I recommend taking a bag to the club, assuming you can leave it somewhere. In this, have some water, and clothes to change into or at very least a warm dry jacket - I for one drop my temperature very quickly after running, and you don't want to be shivering on the way back home.

Q4 - the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Would it be better to:
    -Or-

Q1 Wear the leggings
    Q2 wear the running shoes for running. i wouldn't 'waste' the miles on walking
    Q3 If you hydrate through the day then i wouldnt worry about water until you're running more than an hour. i hate carrying anything so i have a belt for long runs over 10 miles.
    Q4 all of them :laugh:
  • cprobertson12
    @girlinahat Lycra it is! I'll just need to learn not to be self conscious xD Mind over matter!
    That's good news about being able to walk in them (in fact, in retrospect, that was a bit of a silly question - given that I'm going to be doing walk-run training!) - I can work the walk into my warmup for an added bonus.

As for hydration - aye, in retrospect I should be fine water-wise - it's not like I'm doing a long-distance hike where water is scarce and it'll be hours between refills. I'm definitely just overthinking things.

Lose weight, it will be the biggest factor in how comfortable your run will be, the general point is, the lighter you are, the better it will be for your joint, muscle and heart.

Indeed! My weight is slowly but surely coming down - the rate of weight loss will increase the more I exercise as well (but as @TavistockToad once mentioned in another of my posts last year, if I don't also change my eating patterns, all it takes is for me to stop exercising and voila! Weight-gain - so I'm working on that on the side as well :smile:)

I'm a big guy as well (6'1", and broad-shouldered) - so, I'm naturally heavy, meaning any extra weight have have is just an additional, and avoidable burden!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
  • cprobertson12
    edited April 2019

"Dress like it’s 15 to 20 degrees warmer than it actually is"

I'm not sure that's a good rule in Scotland - it's 8°C just now, and I consider that warm enough to wear my summer jacket.

If we add 15-20° to that, we consider that a heatwave and we wear shorts. Just shorts :lol:

Summer often falls on a wednesday here, and usually prompts a mass exodus to the beaches. Beach weather is of course any weather where it isn't too windy to build a sand castle. The biggest difference between winter and summer is that the rain is a little warmer! :wink:

I'll need to dig around for that tool you linked me to - for some reason it (and the other Runners-World tools) aren't showing up on my browser - it looks like a regular article with no applet on it :neutral:

In the meantime, I'll just stick with what I've got handy, and take a little extra tonight so I can get sorted out over at the sports centre.
  • TavistockToad

"Dress like it’s 15 to 20 degrees warmer than it actually is"

I'm not sure that's a good rule in Scotland - it's 8°C just now, and I consider that warm enough to wear my summer jacket.

If we add 15-20° to that, we consider that a heatwave and we wear shorts. Just shorts :lol:

Summer often falls on a wednesday here, and usually prompts a mass exodus to the beaches. Beach weather is of course any weather where it isn't too windy to build a sand castle. The biggest difference between winter and summer is that the rain is a little warmer! :wink:

I'll need to dig around for that tool you linked me to - for some reason it (and the other Runners-World tools) aren't showing up on my browser - it looks like a regular article with no applet on it :neutral:

In the meantime, I'll just stick with what I've got handy, and take a little extra tonight so I can get sorted out over at the sports centre.

I am in north England and dressing 5° warmer than it is seems to work!
  • cprobertson12
    edited April 2019
    I am in north England and dressing 5° warmer than it is seems to work!

I think the problem round here is that the weather changes a lot, mostly through the local geography wind from the south-west, inverts right before nightfall, lots of hills and local pressure changes - it's fun!

Weather wasn't bad though - sure, there were sunshine-hailstones (yes, that's a thing apparently) followed by a spell of sunshine and then it was overcast on the way back, followed by strong winds and a ton of rain and some sleet.

"Changeable" - it's a good description of the weather here xD It changes enough to keep you on your toes, but you can always rely on it raining! :D

I think your advice of dressing for +5°C would work quite well here: the wind chill may change frequently, but the ambient temperature is fairly constant!

I'll just play it by ear and see how things go - I'll get an intuitive knack for dressing myself the more I do it.:smile:

Running-wise I was much better yesterday than I was last week - those new shoes have definitely made a difference!

I seem to be having a bit of pain in my right foot though - at the right side (were the metatarsal meets the phalange) - interesting! It's not sore today, so I've probably not injured myself, but it'll be worth keeping an eye on it! I'll give it a good palpation tonight and see if there are any signs of tendonitis, stress fracture or bunion.

Apart from that, just the expected shin pain - not anywhere near as bad as last week! Not even close! So - we're looking good! Will hopefully manage a second (and even a third) run this week since I'm not too sore from this one! Day or two to recover first of all though :)
  • cprobertson12
    Ooops, sorry for the double-post!

Quick but potentially important question:

See, I thought I was supposed (at least in some schools of thought) to land on the flat of my feet and roll forward to the toes - which, it turns out, is how I naturally tend to run (though as I get tired, my feet start to curve forward and I start striking toe-first).

Either way, the runner I was with advised me to strike heel-first, which I thought was something I was to try to avoid?

So, I'm of two thoughts on this one:
    -Do I keep running to find and develop my natural footstrike?
    -Do I adopt a specific footstrike and keep running to develop it?

On one hand, I would like to do it right in the first place - but at the same time, obviously my running will adapt to my body - which make me wonder if it's better to just let it find it's own balance?

Ps - why yes, I do overthink things xD It's fun!
  • TavistockToad
    Ooops, sorry for the double-post!

Quick but potentially important question:

See, I thought I was supposed (at least in some schools of thought) to land on the flat of my feet and roll forward to the toes - which, it turns out, is how I naturally tend to run (though as I get tired, my feet start to curve forward and I start striking toe-first).

Either way, the runner I was with advised me to strike heel-first, which I thought was something I was to try to avoid?

So, I'm of two thoughts on this one:
    -Do I keep running to find and develop my natural footstrike?
    -Do I adopt a specific footstrike and keep running to develop it?

On one hand, I would like to do it right in the first place - but at the same time, obviously my running will adapt to my body - which make me wonder if it's better to just let it find it's own balance?

Ps - why yes, I do overthink things xD It's fun!

IMO, just run how you run....
  • tirowow12385
    My right leg curve inwards and my left leg strike after 13 miles the other day, my right leg had mild soreness on the shin while the left leg had the sore calves, point is, you will be sore regardless, just that imo different foot strike will stress different parts of the legs and not eliminate it. If you condition your legs will heavy lifting, to me it doesn't matter how you run, your legs will handle it.

• sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Loved reading this whole thread! I am also an overpronator - but with correct shoes this is not a problem and thankfully I've managed no injuries from running *touches wood*. I have, in the past, run a half marathon but I have not run for some time.

I am currently battling with a broken foot right now though :'( I was supposed to join my local running club for the c25k starters and seeing their posts about club runs is thoroughly upsetting! If all goes will I'll be ready to start when they do the next intake of newbies though!

Good luck with the running!
  • cprobertson12
    sianlr87 wrote: »
    Loved reading this whole thread! I am also an overpronator - but with correct shoes this is not a problem and thankfully I've managed no injuries from running *touches wood*. I have, in the past, run a half marathon but I have not run for some time.

I am currently battling with a broken foot right now though :'( I was supposed to join my local running club for the c25k starters and seeing their posts about club runs is thoroughly upsetting! If all goes will I'll be ready to start when they do the next intake of newbies though!

Good luck with the running!

Ouch! How'd you manage that? (the broken foot, not the running xD) Just make sure you don't overwork or try to return too early (I made both those mistakes last year when I tried to start running - I overworked > injured myself > tried to return too early > overworked > made the injury worse > tried to return to early > made it even worse> gave in and took up swimming instead).

Interestingly, the worst injury (that I never got checked out) was a severe pain on my right foot... right where I had pain yesterday... Huh, that's interesting.

To be fair, even given a random chance, it's still a 50% probability of having a pain in that foot vs the other - so it's probably nothing to worry about.

"Cautious, not concerned"!

Best of luck to yourself as well - sounds like you might need it more than I!
  • cprobertson12
    My right leg curve inwards and my left leg strike after 13 miles the other day, my right leg had mild soreness on the shin while the left leg had the sore calves, point is, you will be sore regardless, just that imo different foot strike will stress different parts of the legs and not eliminate it. If you condition your legs will heavy lifting, to me it doesn't matter how you run, your legs will handle it.

Ooops! Sorry, I completely missed this one the other day!

I'm starting my strength regime this week (I may be behind on my running-schedule, but I said I was going to start the strength stuff this week, and so I shall!

I tried (and failed) to run on Friday: had a bit of pain on my right leg - but, luckily, no foot pain! I have what is definitely muscle (or tendon) pain about three inches down from my inner knee. I also seemed to be getting pain on the front of my shin about 1/3 up and a little to the inside, pretty sure it's a splint but it wasn't fun!

I've rested up over the weekend and have a track run tomorrow with the running club - so hopefully tomorrow's run will be a little better than last weeks!

Just a quick sanity check though - shin splint vs stress fracture: the last thing I want to do is run on a stress fracture. It sounds stressful :wink: - so how does one tell the difference?

I'm pretty sure this is indeed just a shin splint as I've not had trouble with it except when running and it's not tender - but for future reference, how does one tell the difference? I've had a look online but I can't seem to find a side-by-side comparison!
  • tirowow12385

Ooops! Sorry, I completely missed this one the other day!

I'm starting my strength regime this week (I may be behind on my running-schedule, but I said I was going to start the strength stuff this week, and so I shall!

I tried (and failed) to run on Friday: had a bit of pain on my right leg - but, luckily, no foot pain! I have what is definitely muscle (or tendon) pain about three inches down from my inner knee. I also seemed to be getting pain on the front of my shin about 1/3 up and a little to the inside, pretty sure it's a splint but it wasn't fun!

I've rested up over the weekend and have a track run tomorrow with the running club - so hopefully tomorrow's run will be a little better than last weeks!

Just a quick sanity check though - shin splint vs stress fracture: the last thing I want to do is run on a stress fracture. It sounds stressful :wink: - so how does one tell the difference?

I'm pretty sure this is indeed just a shin splint as I've not had trouble with it except when running and it's not tender - but for future reference, how does one tell the difference? I've had a look online but I can't seem to find a side-by-side comparison!

Shin pain is shin pain, it's hard to tell lol. I can tell you from experience that when I first started running I experienced pain in the front and side shins. My front shins adapted and thicken over time now the side of my shin, I couldn't feel anything but bone and it hurt like heck when I touched it. The pain in the front shins faded away after 6 months of running 15 miles a week and got while the side shin took much longer, I was running for more than a year and learning how to run while minimizing the pain that I totally forgot I had it. I can slap my shins now and they're just fine.

• cprobertson12
    Shin pain is shin pain, it's hard to tell lol. I can tell you from experience that when I first started running I experienced pain in the front and side shins. My front shins adapted and thicken over time now the side of my shin, I couldn't feel anything but bone and it hurt like heck when I touched it. The pain in the front shins faded away after 6 months of running 15 miles a week and got while the side shin took much longer, I was running for more than a year and learning how to run while minimizing the pain that I totally forgot I had it. I can slap my shins now and they're just fine.

I think you're right - it sounds like I shouldn't worry about it - if I had a fracture I would either know about it already, or I will find out the hard way, and know what to look for in future! :)

Cautious, but not concerned seems to be the way to go! :D

Thanks for the reassurance!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    If it bothers you on your run, you can use KT tape on your shin to help.