Options
124»

Replies

• cprobertson12
    cprobertson12 Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    If it bothers you on your run, you can use KT tape on your shin to help.

Nah, sure she'll be right, mate!

I... I can't do an Australian accent... tell you what, imagine I done that in an amazing Australian accent, and that solves the problem :)

I'm going to stick to RICE treatment for now. Just to clarify, that's Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation - there is no rice involved. I found that out the hard way after putting my leg in a bag of rice, while elevating, compressing, elevating and resting my wet phone.

I reckon I just have to tough it out - and not worry about it all. I jogged some of my walk to work this morning - I don't even remember starting - it just sort of happened - and I've got my track run tonight which will hopefully put me on track for the rest of the week :smile:

Things are slowly falling into place! Slowly and surely.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I... I can't do an Australian accent... tell you what, imagine I done that in an amazing Australian accent, and that solves the problem :)

I'm going to stick to RICE treatment for now. Just to clarify, that's Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation - there is no rice involved. I found that out the hard way after putting my leg in a bag of rice, while elevating, compressing, elevating and resting my wet phone.

I reckon I just have to tough it out - and not worry about it all. I jogged some of my walk to work this morning - I don't even remember starting - it just sort of happened - and I've got my track run tonight which will hopefully put me on track for the rest of the week :smile:

if you're still building up to running regularly then i wouldn't start with running twice a day personally, especially if you're getting aches and pains anyway.
  • cprobertson12
    Options

if you're still building up to running regularly then i wouldn't start with running twice a day personally, especially if you're getting aches and pains anyway.

Ah, it was more of a superlight jog :D I'll keep that in mind though!
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    Ah, it was more of a superlight jog :D I'll keep that in mind though!

Looks like I kept it more in-mind than I intended! Ended up cancelling my track run last night - had a decent bit of pain in my lower leg walking home last night - pretty sure it was just splints, but I didn't want to aggravate anything.

I've been doing a lot of cycling to/from work lately, which is fairly easy-going on my lower leg, but doesn't really build up anything there - so I'm going to start walking to/from work at least three times a week. It's a pity my running club is on a Tuesday (neatly overlapping with Scuba training in such a way that I can attend both) - it means that I can only manage two runs during the work-week instead of three.... not that that's a problem just now given that walking was sore last night! :D

• cprobertson12
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great program. Worked for me

Good to hear! It certainly seems both a popular, and successfully program: sure I may be having teething pains as I get started, but I'm confident I'll get there once I get over this little hurdle! :smile:

Im looking forward to being able to run more than a short sprint - gonna be good!
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    Good news! Or is it bad news? Wait...

It's good news that I'm getting checked out - it's bad news that this is a possibility.

So! On the doctor's advice I was referred for an X-Ray for a possible stress fracture for next Thursday (25th).

Noice! I've always wanted to be bombarded by (more) high energy photons! Whoooooo!

Ps - he said he's pretty sure it's just shin splints + muscle pain + minor tendonitis - BUT he wants to try to rule out a stress fracture because I have a small region of my shin where it is incredibly sore if you push on it, and it seems to be getting worse.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    Run slow if you begin. Even if that might be slower than your walking speed. It still counts as running as the movement is different (running involves a moment where both feet are off the ground). Run at such a pace where you can still talk in full, coherent sentences. If you can't do that then you're too fast. Try to increase the distance you can run this way as you build endurance by going slow and going longer. In time you will also get faster automatically, so don't worry about that.

Also don't worry about any heart rate readings as the idea heartrate is generically determined for every single person, and very different. By using the 'speaking' method you don't need a HR meter. If you want to train speed inbetween go faster. A good speed would be one where you can't speak several full sentences anymore. For intervals or all out: speaking? I hardly have enough energy to breath, let alone speak :D
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    Will do!

I didn't actually think I was going that fast - the run that seems to have done the most damage was actually done with the local running club's trainer - so it's entirely possible I was just going too fast and didn't realise!

I went for my x-ray a little under 2 weeks ago (actually, I should be phoning for my results today or tomorrow) and the preliminary diagnosis was "nothing hanging off! :smile:" (that's literally what the tech said! I like it!).

They scanned the tibia/fibula and ankle. I've not got the results for that yet - BUT the x-ray dept. did refer me through to the muscoskeletal>podiatry department.

I would assume it's a generic referral on the grounds that they haven't found anything suspect in the non-foot region - but who knows, maybe I'm actually a deformed-foot person. That's a person with a deformed foot - not a person that is a deformed foot - though, if you're curious, I do actually know several people who are in fact deformed feet.

I'll find out on the 15th or today/tomorrow when I call in for the x-ray results :)

I don't like all this uncertainty - while I want to run, I'm debating whether to just rest (by which I mean "non-impact" stuff) until my podiatry appointment. My thinking is that, since I am not currently in any pain and I am otherwise asymptomatic, that I should be alright to give running a go again as long as I take it easy and stop at the first sign of trouble.

We shall see! Anyway, I'd better look out the number to call for my high energy particle bombardment results.
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    Signs of historic stress fracture, but nothing just now - pain I experienced were likely shin splints: been referred to physiotherapy via the podiatry dept., can contact doc for more info.

Guess Im going for a run tonight! :smiley:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TLDR 🤪
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    TLDR 🤪

Ha! Nae worries xD Long story short, Im seeing a podiatrist who has confirmed my feet are flermed.

I have Morton's Neuroma in the right foot, which is what's causing that intermetatarsal pain in the 3rd and 4th digits - the nerve is being trapped and compressed as my foot turns inwards due to a combination of ankle instability and inflexible toes, which causes my foot to bend inwards so I can push off the side of my feet rather than the toes - which is why I overpronate.

Anyway, the motion compresses the bones of the foot, which compresses the nerve even more - the compression causes the lining to inflame, so you get a runaway cycle of compression causing inflammation which causes swelling which causes more compression.

SO - I have exercises to do, and orthopedic insoles to wear to build up the ankle muscles and make my toes more flexible.

I can even run with the orthapedics in, but I've been advised to run on soft materials - sand or grass preferably - time to make use of the beach and the local parks!

I'm actually glad we figured this out, as it explains a bunch of foot problems I've had in the past that I repeatedly shrugged off as either random injuries that were coincidentally in the same place, or put it down to not exercising enough.

Onwards and upwards!