Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How would you feel about a robot preparing your food?

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I don't necessarily think it would be a bad idea for fast food/convenience food

Would rather have a skilled chef prepare something complex, high end, seasonal, out-of the ordinary, etc. though if I were paying big bucks @ a restaurant though. Also, the human factor is there when someone makes a special request say because of food allergies/intolerances, religious dietary restrictions, etc.

I expect you would get better adherence to those kinds of requests through a well-designed ordering interface and a robotic food preparer than you would in the average restaurant with servers and kitchen staff who may or may not be well trained in those issues.

Yea, half the time the humans get my order wrong at fast food joints, how hard is it to do “no mayo, extra pickles”?! :D:D:D

"Excuse, I'm not satisfied with this burger. Can I talk to the manager please!"...

02pk6j8cpzis.jpg

"PROBLEM HERE??"

:D:D:D
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It would likely result in more consistent food preparation in many kitchens. Of course, mochbof whstvwe buy in the grocery store is already prepared by robots right?🤖
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Yes please, I'll take one.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    I really don't see how this is new. If you eat anything pre-packaged (anything in a can or box in the supermarket) how do you think it was prepared? You think a human cooked up each of your protein bars or cans of soup or whatever by hand? Robots have been cooking for us for decades, just like they make most of our products.

Probably kind of cool to watch a robot put together a hamburger but it's also cool to see production lines in factories.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    In Vegas I had my drink made by a robot. I thought it was amazing thing to see!!! The bad thing, you cannot tip the machine in order for it to make the second drink better / stronger :)

Tip the engineer.

Critical flaw in design control :)
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    In Vegas I had my drink made by a robot. I thought it was amazing thing to see!!! The bad thing, you cannot tip the machine in order for it to make the second drink better / stronger :)

But you take the money saved from the tip to order a double
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Hell yes. Prepare my food and log my intake too!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    I think a lot of people have skewed impressions (overly optimistic) of the future & technological advances...watching too many movies. Reality for us who work with automation on a daily basis: robots & programs are delicate little flowers/snowflakes...so many of even the slightest variables can require human intervention to correct said robots/automation systems...mainly other humans touching said robots (rant)

Depends a lot on what kind of automation system you're dealing with. There are machine learning based robotic systems that are taught by humans touching them - rather than having a fixed job or having a programmer recode every time there's a change, the robot has a human put its hands through the motions for its task. I believe they even have programming that makes them stop working when it looks like there is a human entering the task space during normal operations to prevent it from ever harming someone.
  • Sunrain2018
    Sunrain2018 Posts: 24 Member
    I’d greatly enjoy a meal prepared by a robot... The technology looks promising. At least I know it was prepared safely... I have a really hard time eating out to begin with, I don’t trust that anyone washes their hands or follows the correct procedures for sanitation..
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    How would I feel about a robot preparing my food?

You clearly haven’t seen me cooking on a ‘oh god not another family meal to make’ day.

I already am a robot ....
  • dogWalkerTX
    dogWalkerTX Posts: 49 Member
    Finally! I love it!
  • JB1775
    JB1775 Posts: 136 Member
    That's awesome. I've never heard of such a thing, but I can dig it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    You should have met my second wife. Total robot. In the kitchen, In the bedroom.
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    edited May 2019
    They'd struggle to do a worse job than me so i'll take 4 please!
  • squiffiegirl
    squiffiegirl Posts: 14 Member
    Fine with me as long as the robot doesn't spit in my food.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    Forget about food preparation, sent it to my house to clean!