Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How would you feel about a robot preparing your food?

RunsWithBeesRunsWithBees Posts: 1,067Member Member Posts: 1,067Member Member
There’s a restaurant in San Francisco called “Creator” that features a robot that cooks and assembles a burger from start to finish in 5 minutes from freshly prepared ingredients: grinding and cooking the meat, slicing the toppings, toasting the bun, etc. Here is a fun and thoroughly written review about the restaurant’s food quality and ambiance. Curious to see what other people think although it’s going to be a long, long time yet (if ever) until robots are making our food on any kind of grand scale, just some food for thought :)

https://www.sfchronicle.com/restaurants/article/At-Creator-a-robot-makes-your-burger-It-13688736.php

Replies

• RunsWithBeesRunsWithBees Posts: 1,067Member Member Posts: 1,067Member Member
    Makes great sense from a quality control perspective. Eliminates the possibility of human error for a consistent product every time.

Funny thing is these burgers have more of a “handmade look” to them than those from a chain restaurant where a person assembles them :D
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    As long as the food is good, I don't care who makes it.

They are delicious! I know firsthand and they also get rave reviews from the harshest food critics in SF.
  • Cassandraw3Cassandraw3 Posts: 990Member Member Posts: 990Member Member
    Makes great sense from a quality control perspective. Eliminates the possibility of human error for a consistent product every time.

Funny thing is these burgers have more of a “handmade look” to them than those from a chain restaurant where a person assembles them :D

Perhaps. I was thinking more in terms of quantity of each ingredient used, meat cooked the same every time, correct toppings added every time, etc.
    MikePTY wrote: »
    It would probably cut down significantly on food borne illnesses from improper handling procedures and cross contamination.

This is a great point!
    The robot never needs a bathroom break ;)
  • Keto_VampireKeto_Vampire Posts: 1,692Member Member Posts: 1,692Member Member
    Can't replace something subjective as a a chef's palate for quality control (high end stuff/restaurant experience, etc.)
    Can't replace something subjective as a a chef's palate for quality control (high end stuff/restaurant experience, etc.)

True! Not sure this would replace a gourmet dining experience :# but it could suffice for a quick lunch!
    edited March 22
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I feel about as much about a robot preparing the food as the robot feels about me eating it.

:D :D :D
  • NorthCascadesNorthCascades Posts: 9,101Member Member Posts: 9,101Member Member
    I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with this.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the robot didn't sneeze on my food.
    I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with this.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the robot didn't sneeze on my food.

Well, for one reason, some people think it will take jobs away from actual humans.
  • clicketykeysclicketykeys Posts: 3,404Member Member Posts: 3,404Member Member

I would think the recipes would be created by a chef; a machine should be able to follow its programming exactly. It's no different, IMO, than using a mixer to beat eggs instead of using a fork.

I would think the recipes would be created by a chef; a machine should be able to follow its programming exactly. It's no different, IMO, than using a mixer to beat eggs instead of using a fork.

They do have a few chef-collaborations as far as combining ingredients, special sauces and spices. They’ve got great reviews too!
  • Keto_VampireKeto_Vampire Posts: 1,692Member Member Posts: 1,692Member Member
    I don't necessarily think it would be a bad idea for fast food/convenience food

Would rather have a skilled chef prepare something complex, high end, seasonal, out-of the ordinary, etc. though if I were paying big bucks @ a restaurant though. Also, the human factor is there when someone makes a special request say because of food allergies/intolerances, religious dietary restrictions, etc.
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Posts: 6,874Member Member Posts: 6,874Member Member
    I don't necessarily think it would be a bad idea for fast food/convenience food

Would rather have a skilled chef prepare something complex, high end, seasonal, out-of the ordinary, etc. though if I were paying big bucks @ a restaurant though. Also, the human factor is there when someone makes a special request say because of food allergies/intolerances, religious dietary restrictions, etc.

I expect you would get better adherence to those kinds of requests through a well-designed ordering interface and a robotic food preparer than you would in the average restaurant with servers and kitchen staff who may or may not be well trained in those issues.