UMAMI

RunsWithBees
RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
edited March 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Merriam-Webster.com defines Umami as the taste sensation that is produced by several amino acids and nucleotides (such as glutamate and aspartate) and has a rich or meaty flavor characteristic of cheese, cooked meat, mushrooms, soy, and ripe tomatoes.

I’m surprised there wasn’t already a thread dedicated to “the fifth taste” that is Umami. What are your favorite umami foods? Recipes? Likes? Dislikes? Have you ever noticed something unexpectedly tasting umami or never tasted it at all or does it even exist as a separate taste? Let’s talk about umami :)

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    hykuw6m63i1c.jpeg
    Mushrooms are one of my favorite umami foods ever!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Great thread idea!

I like the flavor of mushrooms, but not the texture, so when I cook with them I often pick them out after they have done their job flavoring :lol:

My favorite way to add umami is with fish sauce: https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/news/fish-sauce-the-ultimate-umami-bomb-0159854/

I made Copycat Near East Rice Pilaf for dinner tonight. My OH thought it was missing something. I hadn't added anything to replace the autolyzed yeast extract (an MSG substitute) and was planning on adding 1 t or so fish sauce next time.

I use Squid, which is widely available and cheap (locally; most Asian staples are way overpriced on online stores like Amazon), but see it was dead last on this taste test https://ourdailybrine.com/fish-sauce-taste-test/ so will look for Red Boat next time I'm at Kam Man, as I have never seen that brand in a supermarket.

Cook's Illustrated also ranks Red Boat # 1 https://www.cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/1625-fish-sauce

Here's more on umami from them: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/features/8376-the-fifth-taste-theres-more-to-umami-than-you-thought

...More and more food scientists are concluding that when ingredients rich in naturally occurring glutamates are paired with ingredients that contain either one of the nucleotides inosinate or guanylate, the perception of umami, or savoriness, is dramatically amplified.

...FOODS RICH IN GLUTAMATES
    • Parmesan cheese
    • Fish sauce
    • Soy sauce
    • Tomato paste
    • Cured ham
    • Anchovies/sardines
    • Beef
    • Cheddar cheese
    • Worcestershire sauce

FOODS RICH IN NUCLEOTIDES
    • Anchovies/Sardines
    • Dried shiitake mushrooms
    • Pork
    • Beef
    • Dried porcini mushrooms
  • RunsWithBees
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Great thread idea!

I like the flavor of mushrooms, but not the texture, so when I cook with them I often pick them out after they have done their job flavoring :lol:

My favorite way to add umami is with fish sauce: https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/news/fish-sauce-the-ultimate-umami-bomb-0159854/

I made Copycat Near East Rice Pilaf for dinner tonight. My OH thought it was missing something. I hadn't added anything to replace the autolyzed yeast extract (an MSG substitute) and was planning on adding 1 t or so fish sauce next time.

I use Squid, which is widely available and cheap (locally; most Asian staples are way overpriced on online stores like Amazon), but see it was dead last on this taste test https://ourdailybrine.com/fish-sauce-taste-test/ so will look for Red Boat next time I'm at Kam Man, as I have never seen that brand in a supermarket.

Cook's Illustrated also ranks Red Boat # 1 https://www.cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/1625-fish-sauce

Here's more on umami from them: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/features/8376-the-fifth-taste-theres-more-to-umami-than-you-thought

...More and more food scientists are concluding that when ingredients rich in naturally occurring glutamates are paired with ingredients that contain either one of the nucleotides inosinate or guanylate, the perception of umami, or savoriness, is dramatically amplified.

...FOODS RICH IN GLUTAMATES
    • Parmesan cheese
    • Fish sauce
    • Soy sauce
    • Tomato paste
    • Cured ham
    • Anchovies/sardines
    • Beef
    • Cheddar cheese
    • Worcestershire sauce

FOODS RICH IN NUCLEOTIDES
    • Anchovies/Sardines
    • Dried shiitake mushrooms
    • Pork
    • Beef
    • Dried porcini mushrooms

Wow! Great info thanks for sharing! 🙂
  • RunsWithBees
    Umami always kind of felt like a “texture” to me. The way I describe it: it’s a salty taste but with like almost a “warm & fuzzy” mouth feel in contrast to things that are just plainly, sharply salty. I don’t have a problem adding msg to my food and it certainly does seem to wake-up and enhance the natural flavors.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    As a vegetarian, adding umami to dishes is something I think about. Things I often add (without theoretical justification, just personal taste) include dark miso (like hacho), roasted veggies (esp. eggplant, brussels sprouts, and a recent revelation - okra), cocoa/cacao powder (try it in chili or stews), mushrooms of course (including mushroom powder or dried mushrooms), soy sauce, . . . .
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Tomato paste, cheddar cheese and flavorful chili peppers are our favorite ways to add umami.
  • RunsWithBees
    rko1txue9sjr.jpeg

Super umami! This shiitake jerky is incredibly delicious! I got this at a special event and haven’t been able to find it anywhere else... why isn’t this more popular???
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Tomato paste, or canned tomatoes super reduced down with tons of paprika.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Tomatoes and tomato products, mushrooms, fish sauce, Chiles and smoked meats!!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Deeply roasted mushrooms and tomatoes are my absolute favorites for umami,

That mushroom jerky looks amazing.
  • RunsWithBees

You have no idea! :p Since I can only find it at a yearly special event, I buy a few and ration this stuff to make it last! I’m really surprised vegetarians/vegans don’t have something similar that is popular since jerky is a great take-along snack!
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    As a vegetarian, adding umami to dishes is something I think about. Things I often add (without theoretical justification, just personal taste) include dark miso (like hacho), roasted veggies (esp. eggplant, brussels sprouts, and a recent revelation - okra), cocoa/cacao powder (try it in chili or stews), mushrooms of course (including mushroom powder or dried mushrooms), soy sauce, . . . .

Oh I second putting cocoa in chili. Unsweetened cocoa powder is the secret ingredient in my chili that magically takes it to a really rich savory flavor instead of spicy tomato sauce. I'm going to have to try it in stew now!

• wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    I don't like mushrooms but marmite is great
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member

Super umami! This shiitake jerky is incredibly delicious! I got this at a special event and haven’t been able to find it anywhere else... why isn’t this more popular???

Have you checked Amazon? Perhaps not that brand, but they have several pages of 'shroom jerky. (Haven't tried any and cannot vouch for them.....)

• RunsWithBees
    HonuNui wrote: »

Have you checked Amazon? Perhaps not that brand, but they have several pages of 'shroom jerky. (Haven't tried any and cannot vouch for them.....)

Oooo there are a lot of jerky options there! I don’t normally shop Amazon so didn’t think of this. Pricey though. And indeed not the same brand. I’ll see what looks good though, thanks for the idea! :smiley:
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    There's a umami seasoning at Trader Joe's. Next time I'm there I'll pick it up.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member

You have no idea! :p Since I can only find it at a yearly special event, I buy a few and ration this stuff to make it last! I’m really surprised vegetarians/vegans don’t have something similar that is popular since jerky is a great take-along snack!

Making it yourself might be a fun experiment. It cant possibly be all that difficult. You have a list of the ingredients, you just need a dehydrator and some mushrooms. Failing that, there are definitely recipes for mushroom jerky online (also your oven on lowest setting with door ajar works as a dehydrator).