Does alcohol slow weight loss ?

Options
Hi everyone. I haven't been around much - signed up years ago... forgot about it. NOW have a bunch of weight to lose. I've cut back on my portions and purchasing better food choices. But I notice that I top off my daily calories with my evening cocktail quite often.

I love my evening cocktail. Wonder what that says about me? But am sure I am not alone. In the past, I gave up all alcohol entirely (doing Atkins) and didn't even drink again for several years. But, I was young then and had lots of other fun things to do to relax! Now with injuries and age, hey, you know, I enjoy my wine or drink now and then.

What is everyone else's experience? Just go cold turkey on the alcohol, or can you still enjoy it occasionally while losing?

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Yes if its unaccounted calories.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Then there you go.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I stickto flavored vodka and club soda, or corona premier beer with a lime or Michelin ultra. Both have only about 90 calories less than 3 carbs.

The Corona one is my fave it’s new. Great with a lime.

You are going to have to cut back on the alcohol and make sure you log it and it’s in your counts.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    obabso wrote: »
    As I said in my initial post, I count the drinks in the total calories.

Then no it doesn’t slow it.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Just make sure you stay within your calorie budget and if you find yourself going over, make adjustments during the day so you can enjoy your evening drink.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I personally can’t both lose and drink. But I tend to have more than the one planned/budgeted drink and then tend to eat over my allotted calories when I drink. I’m considering not reintroducing alcohol at all for that reason.

You haven’t described either of those issues so it sounds like having your drinks while losing is just fine.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    No. You are accounting for it in your calorie deficit. Doing what works best for each of us helps stay on course.
    Personally, I get more satisfaction from chewing my calories. An occasional glass of wine with celebrations. Otherwise water and black coffee are my only drinks for very minimum calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    obabso wrote: »
    As I said in my initial post, I count the drinks in the total calories.

then you'll be fine, just be aware that it could lead to some water retention (it does for me) so if you drink regularly it may mask some fat loss.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    alcohol in and of itself does not slow down your weight loss if you include the calories in your calorie allotment.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If only someone else would provide the very same answer... wait... I will!

It is fine since you log it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Nothing but calories. I'm a craft brewer and beer lover and while I did stop drinking when focusing on an upcoming race or other event, but simply budget in whatever calories necessary to enjoy my evening drink.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Raysie1 wrote: »
    What is it with all the wooing of good advice lately?

If the person wooing did this because they made the common mistake of thinking Woo means "woo-hoo", a positive, they can unwoo by clicking it again.

Honestly, this Woo reaction experiment has failed and we should just get rid of it.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What is it with all the wooing of good advice lately?

If the person wooing did this because they made the common mistake of thinking Woo means "woo-hoo", a positive, they can unwoo by clicking it again.

Honestly, this Woo reaction experiment has failed and we should just get rid of it.

I'm really not sure this is the case. It's happening on lots of threads and the comments being wooed are often not Woo-worthy in either sense. I fear someone just has too much time on their hands and doesn't know what to do with it. It's a shame if they make people think that perfectly good comments have less merit.

I agree wholeheartedly!
    Isn’t it about time MFP did away with this “woo” option?