Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Women Who Lift

1246789

Replies

  • hollyb9871hollyb9871 Posts: 406Member Member Posts: 406Member Member
    Hello Ladies! I'm 47 and mom to 4 ranging in age from 10 to 23. I have lifted off and on for the past 20 years, more on than off. I was a certified group fitness teacher for a while but let that lapse. I lift 4 days a week with a friend and write out our workouts. Frequently other women in the gym come over and ask for help getting started as well. I typically use free weights and just a couple of machines, leg press, leg extension and leg curls. I have put on some extra pounds by not really paying attention to my nutrition and having too many sweets. I started logging again last and have already lost a pound and a half. Clearly keeping track is necessary! I'm happy to add friends as most of the ones I had ages ago are no longer on MFP. Currently at 144.6 lbs and ideally should be around 125-130 at 5'4.
  • aubreyjordanaubreyjordan Posts: 261Member Member Posts: 261Member Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    dimasj wrote: »
    I am new to lifting, have been a cardio queen most of my adult life. Do any of you post your workouts so that I can get ideas of what other women do in the gym?
    Right now I spin about 5 days a week and try and lift 4-5 days too but I am just sort of winging it and doing an upper lower body split but not really sure what exercises are best.
    Any advise and or routines would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

    This link contains a list of lifting programs to get you started
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

    That's how I came across Thinner Leaner Stronger. I'm really enjoying that program with a few minor tweaks (removed calf exercises and added extra upper body) .
  • GeojermGeojerm Posts: 320Member Member Posts: 320Member Member
    Would anyone be willing to help me develop a workout schedule?
    I currently do classes Mon night & Wed night.... Strong by Zumba (HIIT style) & Zumba 8:30 pm 1 hour classes

    I want to add weights a few times a week ... and think the morning would work best but not sure how/when to structure that around my classes.

    If I work out in the mornings... is that enough break from class the night before? class ends 9:30 pm morning workout would be 6 am

    I saw some recommendations on this chat I want to try : 5X5 app and I am picking up New Rules of Lifting from local library

    any suggestions on how many days a week to start with ? keeping in mind that I want to keep my evening classes, and not burn myself out
    Thank you
    edited April 26
  • Cassandraw3Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,011Member Member Posts: 1,011Member Member
    Geojerm wrote: »
    Would anyone be willing to help me develop a workout schedule?
    I currently do classes Mon night & Wed night.... Strong by Zumba (HIIT style) & Zumba 8:30 pm 1 hour classes

    I want to add weights a few times a week ... and think the morning would work best but not sure how/when to structure that around my classes.

    If I work out in the mornings... is that enough break from class the night before? class ends 9:30 pm morning workout would be 6 am

    I saw some recommendations on this chat I want to try : 5X5 app and I am picking up New Rules of Lifting from local library

    any suggestions on how many days a week to start with ? keeping in mind that I want to keep my evening classes, and not burn myself out
    Thank you

    The night class and then morning lifting would be fine. My only concern would be if you are able to get enough sleep in between. It is recommended to get at least 7 hours of sleep and you would be cutting it very close, especially if you plan to eat and shower in between. Sleep is a critical part of recovery.
  • rontuueyeslikeafoxrontuueyeslikeafox Posts: 53Member Member Posts: 53Member Member
    I love my body more than I ever have before, even before I gained weight in the first place.

    I love this, even though it's so hard to picture for me

  • 33gail3333gail33 Posts: 231Member Member Posts: 231Member Member
    I just turned 54 and have been "lifting" (strength training?) for the last couple of months. Just wondering what is meant by "lifting heavy". Like how heavy is heavy? I used to do dumbell workouts back years ago but now starting with barbell and machines (in my basement). I can't do squats beyond bodyweight right now because I also have tri-compartmental knee arthritis, but working on deadlift and overhead press etc.
  • brittanystebbins95brittanystebbins95 Posts: 261Member Member Posts: 261Member Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I just turned 54 and have been "lifting" (strength training?) for the last couple of months. Just wondering what is meant by "lifting heavy". Like how heavy is heavy? I used to do dumbell workouts back years ago but now starting with barbell and machines (in my basement). I can't do squats beyond bodyweight right now because I also have tri-compartmental knee arthritis, but working on deadlift and overhead press etc.

    I'm not sure of actual definition, but when I think of lifting "heavy" I automatically picture super strenuous, can't speak during reps, can hardly finish the set type lifting.
    Whereas non-heavy lifting, you're still lifting weights, obviously, but not pushing your body to its absolute limit and you might be more focused on more reps with less weight.
  • LolalikeslolagetsLolalikeslolagets Posts: 128Member Member Posts: 128Member Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I just turned 54 and have been "lifting" (strength training?) for the last couple of months. Just wondering what is meant by "lifting heavy". Like how heavy is heavy? I used to do dumbell workouts back years ago but now starting with barbell and machines (in my basement). I can't do squats beyond bodyweight right now because I also have tri-compartmental knee arthritis, but working on deadlift and overhead press etc.

    If you’ve ever failed a lift or come close I would say that’s lifting heavy
    edited May 6
  • 33gail3333gail33 Posts: 231Member Member Posts: 231Member Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    dimasj wrote: »
    I am new to lifting, have been a cardio queen most of my adult life. Do any of you post your workouts so that I can get ideas of what other women do in the gym?
    Right now I spin about 5 days a week and try and lift 4-5 days too but I am just sort of winging it and doing an upper lower body split but not really sure what exercises are best.
    Any advise and or routines would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

    This link contains a list of lifting programs to get you started
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

    That's how I came across Thinner Leaner Stronger. I'm really enjoying that program with a few minor tweaks (removed calf exercises and added extra upper body) .

    I downloaded the audiobook Thinner Leaner Stronger and it is absolute torture - it's like listening to a condescending robot who just learned to read last week. :neutral: Maybe the written version is better - there is a 100+ page PDF included with my download maybe I will just use that.
  • whmscllwhmscll Posts: 2,163Member Member Posts: 2,163Member Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I just turned 54 and have been "lifting" (strength training?) for the last couple of months. Just wondering what is meant by "lifting heavy". Like how heavy is heavy? I used to do dumbell workouts back years ago but now starting with barbell and machines (in my basement). I can't do squats beyond bodyweight right now because I also have tri-compartmental knee arthritis, but working on deadlift and overhead press etc.

    It means lifting heavy for you. I started in Feb. using an empty 28-pound curl bar for deadlifts and squats because the empty 45 pound Olympic bar was too heavy (I have lower back issues also). I have been very slowly adding weight and am just now able to squat and deadlift with the empty Olympic bar. And I have seen progress even though the weight I am using is ridiculously light for most other people. I’m very proud that I can now lift 25 pound dumbbells with each arm for the seated shoulder press. Anyway, start with what’s comfortable and add weight consistently each time, and you will progress (I walk around the gym with my program and a clipboard to keep track).
  • mfponly519mfponly519 Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    I've been lifting for almost 5 years. I've had to change my name and create a new account, mfponly519. Formerly "bobbinalong"...there is info on that page and I would welcome any new friends from the lifting world!

  • gradchica27gradchica27 Posts: 563Member Member Posts: 563Member Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    dimasj wrote: »
    I am new to lifting, have been a cardio queen most of my adult life. Do any of you post your workouts so that I can get ideas of what other women do in the gym?
    Right now I spin about 5 days a week and try and lift 4-5 days too but I am just sort of winging it and doing an upper lower body split but not really sure what exercises are best.
    Any advise and or routines would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

    This link contains a list of lifting programs to get you started
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

    That's how I came across Thinner Leaner Stronger. I'm really enjoying that program with a few minor tweaks (removed calf exercises and added extra upper body) .

    I downloaded the audiobook Thinner Leaner Stronger and it is absolute torture - it's like listening to a condescending robot who just learned to read last week. :neutral: Maybe the written version is better - there is a 100+ page PDF included with my download maybe I will just use that.

    Nope, I found the book to be same tone, but at least you can speed read through the annoying bits!

    I am finishing up Week 5 of TLS and still don’t know what I think. I stopped doing the recommended HIIT volume after week 2 because I haaaate bike sprints (which he recommends) and the HIIT videos I enjoy are too much for my hips when combined with 5 days of heavy lifting. I could feel an injury lurking one heavy squat away.

    After that I feel better, and my weights are improving almost every week for at least 1-2 lifts (I beat my PR for deadlift and bench), so I do like that. I am pretty sore from pushing so hard, so even if I weren’t going on vacation this week I might have done a deload week instead of trying to finish out 3 more weeks.

    And I couldn’t last 3 days with his calorie recommendations, which he said weren’t low carb but pretty much seemed that way for me once I hit the protein (though that itself was Herculean for a vegetarian, since a good bit of my protein comes with more attached carbs than meat I suppose). I think for losing he wanted me at 1378 without adding anything back for the 5/week lifting and not much of anything for the 3-4/week 30 minute hiit sessions. I was starving. So back to MFP recommendations with a protein emphasis.
  • verybusymomto4verybusymomto4 Posts: 26Member Member Posts: 26Member Member
    Add me 😊I just started adding weights and love it! I have small muscles in my arms yay!

    I do HIIT workouts, my elliptical and now weights. For now its my dumbbells and kettlebells. I have 5 kids from ages 19 yo down to a 2yo so the gym is not easy for me to do right now.

    I like using YouTube videos for HIIT and strength training. Seems following someone on YouTube videos pushes me. I’ve gotten great results so I’m happy ok not happy with my stomach!! I follow the keto way of eating also... I lost 29 lbs. But this freaking stomach is taken forever to go away!!! This is my only complaint 😊
  • verybusymomto4verybusymomto4 Posts: 26Member Member Posts: 26Member Member
    I competed in a few powerlifting meets (I hold a bunch of state records (mostly b/c not many 35+ year old women compete).

    Don't compete any more, b/c I only enjoy the training...as soon as I decided to stop competing, I hit my bench goal. 160lbs on bench at 136lbs!

    Congratulations! ❤️❤️

Sign In or Register to comment.