April 2019 Self-care Challenge (Guys, don't think self-care is girly stuff!)

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
“Self-care” is about doing things that help you feel less anxious, more Zen.

Self-care does not equal spa treatments and makeup, as much as the beauty industry dominates the media with articles implying that in order to sell more of that stuff. (Not that spa treatments and makeup are not OK if that’s what makes you chill out.)

Self-care is something everyone needs.

Check in here to get ideas from this list and share how you’re working on feeling better about life. Reading posts from others also helps find ways to thrive.

Firstly, some suggestions for when we’re struggling:

https://themighty.com/2018/08/realistic-self-care-ideas/

Get out of bed.
Brush your teeth.
Wash your face.
Shower, even if you just get in and rinse off! The water might feel amazing for you.
Eat something. Even if it’s just a cracker or some bread. Just get something in your belly!
Walk out onto your back porch. Stand there for 10 seconds and then if you want, go back inside. Great job, you made it outside! If you feel like it, take a short walk. Get some sunshine!
Put on your favourite TV show or movie.
Check your email and clear your inbox. Respond to anything that is important.
Change your sheets.
Check your actual mail.
Stay hydrated. Fill up a water bottle and keep it close by.
Take your medication.
Stretch. This can be a small quick stretch on the couch or some yoga.
Check your text messages and answer those from people who are important or worried about you.
Pay any bills you might have to avoid late fees.
Change your clothes if you didn’t when you first got out of bed.
If you have a pet, make sure they are good on their food and water. Nothing feels worse than your pet having an empty water or food bowl and you not being aware of it!
Do a creative hobby that you like.
Open up the blinds to let the light come into your house.
Watch a funny video. Laugh.

Here are some ideas to feel better that are not about spa treatments or makeup.

Tidy a space – a table, a drawer, a cupboard.
Discuss what feelings or insights you both had today with a loved one, without gossiping.
Watch a TED talk or YouTube instructional video about something you wondered about recently.
Go outside for a walk or a bike ride, or to just sit, and enjoy the outdoors.
Enjoy your time on social media without feeling guilty or rushed. Use it as downtime and as a treat.
When scrolling on Facebook and you see something or someone that always annoys you, let it go and unfollow them.
Smile.
Edit a photo, draw a picture, write about your thoughts.
Do an exercise you love.
Breathe in for 3 seconds, hold for 2, then out for 3 seconds, hold for 2. Do this 10 times.
Try a new recipe.
Stretch.
Say no to something without feeling guilty.
Go to bed on time.
Give someone a compliment.
Contact an old friend and ask them something you’ve been wondering about them.
Go for a walk at lunch instead of sitting or shopping.
Make a sandwich or bring some leftovers to work for lunch for once if you always eat out.
See how much you can save one week/day by not buying coffee or eating out, and put that money in your retirement fund or savings account, even if it’s only a small amount.
Trim your fingernails and/or toenails
Make that medical appointment you’ve been putting off
Visit an online energy company comparison platform to see if you’re able to save on bills by switching providers
Meal prep or plan recipes for your lunches and/or dinners
Schedule a block of time on the weekend and plan some self-care or meetup with friends to look forward to.

Finally, some ideas for your list of “Absolute Nos”

https://psychcentral.com/blog/3-self-care-strategies-to-transform-your-life/

Don’t rush.
Don’t spend more on your credit card than you can repay at payday.
Don’t gossip.
Don’t answer the phone during dinner.
Don’t go to bed late and don’t sleep in.
Don’t buy things you don’t have space for.

Happy April!
(Thought I'd start a thread this month with lots of stuff I've found and learned over the past 12-18 months participating in these challenges.)

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @Orphia, thank you for all the helpful information! :)

Today I dressed appropriately for the weather (a rare occurrence) and went for a really good walk. I used the time to pray and focus on all the many things I'm so thankful and grateful for. I feel much better now. 💖 🌼
  • Orphia
    Options
    Recently I've blocked news on Twitter from places I don't respect.

• PKM0515
    Options
    Walked briskly for 30 minutes (another chilly but beautiful day).

Attending a library lecture on retirement this evening. This doesn't feel like self-care (I really don't want to go), but it is.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    skram01 wrote: »
    This month I've started up fairly strong. I did a manicure for myself on Monday Tuesday I organized all of my makeup and makeup tools as well as starting an access painting. Yesterday I did a watercolor painting, and did a classy mask. I also met up with a friend for coffee and to exchange birthday gifts. It was so rejuvenating to talk with her.

Wonderful!!

What is an access painting?

I love watercolor painting, too. Today I transformed a previous material’s test ie random into a portrait! And practiced eyes. And did 1st & 2nd later of face & hair of a third. Had 4 girlfriends over for salad bar & creativity! Two knotted, one quilted, I painted & then used some colored pencil over it!

SUCH FUN!
  • Orphia
    Options
    I get the feeling that you're all trying to wind me up now, after I said self-care wasn't all makeup etc! :lol::lol::lol:

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    This month I've started up fairly strong. I did a manicure for myself on Monday Tuesday I organized all of my makeup and makeup tools as well as starting an access painting. Yesterday I did a watercolor painting, and did a classy mask. I also met up with a friend for coffee and to exchange birthday gifts. It was so rejuvenating to talk with her.

Wonderful!!

I love watercolor painting, too. Today I transformed a previous material’s test ie random into a portrait! And practiced eyes. And did 1st & 2nd later of face & hair of a third. Had 4 girlfriends over for salad bar & creativity! Two knotted, one quilted, I painted & then used some colored pencil over it!

SUCH FUN!

That was supposed to say acrylic painting, haha. Stinking auto correct. It sounds like such a wonderful time!!

I'm a similar vein: for Thursday my self care was to follow through with making plans with friends that I run into every few months. I'm really making an effort to be a good friend and cultivate strong relationships with amazing women who inspire me and bring joy to my life. I made a plan to try my friends gym on Tuesday and it will be a new sport for me. I'm looking forward to hanging out with her and trying something new.
  • wcollett60
    wcollett60 Posts: 188 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @Feelinfoofoo
    Thank you for sharing the ZEN video.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Keep doing yoga regularly.
    Read in the bath once a week or once every other week.
    Read more.
    Have more screen free time.

I deleted Twitter/FB off my phone months ago and I'm never going back.
  • wcollett60
    Options
    My self care today is a cup of tea, an audiobook, and knitting the sock I started last year....
  • wcollett60
    Options
    Feelinfoofoo
    I will try and get a picture posted this weekend, even if it is not finished. This might be the push I need to get it done. 😉
  • wcollett60
    Options
    My selfcare today was window shopping, as I got some steps in at the mall. It was a nice change to walk without the wind.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Delivered a glass print of one of my photos to the gallery. Really happy with that one.

Spent a little bit of money promoting a very positive piece of information about sustainable fashion designs and made some people happy. Got the warm fuzzies now.

Finished another one line drawing today on Procreate and added 3 artworks to my carefully-constructed Instagram layout and have had lots of encouraging engagement. Got a great theme starting and will have more ideas. It's the worst when the ideas dry up, and Instagram really helps me with inspiration.

I had a great chat with my psychologist this afternoon. She says I'm doing really well with my strategies, and gave me some tips on how to express how I feel without making accusations. I'm also going to do some reading about being assertive without being aggressive/defensive.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options

Wonderful!!

SUCH FUN!

That was supposed to say acrylic painting, haha. Stinking auto correct. It sounds like such a wonderful time!!

I'm a similar vein: for Thursday my self care was to follow through with making plans with friends that I run into every few months. I'm really making an effort to be a good friend and cultivate strong relationships with amazing women who inspire me and bring joy to my life. I made a plan to try my friends gym on Tuesday and it will be a new sport for me. I'm looking forward to hanging out with her and trying something new.

@skram01
    Yes! And I find when I get together with them & various other groups based on my interests, I hear of classes, other groups, good sites to paint, etc. ❤️♥️❤️
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went to a professional development seminar. I was feeling grouchy earlier but I'm glad I forced myself to go. It reinvigorated me. I wrote in about 15-20 minutes and performed an ABC story (a type of Deaf storytelling) that I was really happy with. One of my mentors who is an amazing language model told me my story was beautiful and that I did a great job telling it as well as the story was good and flowed well. The whole experience had really helped me remember why I want to be an interpreter.

Today I picked up my tent tattoo that was a birthday gift from my parents and I can not wait to use it. I'm hoping to try and set it up tomorrow morning. I am getting a hair cut, yay, and it's supposed to rain all afternoon so hopefully I get my but moving in the morning.
  • wcollett60
    Options
    Today my self care was an hour of meditation yoga and a burger love meal with my son and his fiance. It was a great day and nice not to have to plan and make supper.
  • wcollett60
    edited April 2019
    Options
    apvrlbmh6gnq.jpg

My selfcare knitting project, slow going but I am making progress.
  • wcollett60
    Options
    My selfcare this week is walking, meditative yoga, and knitting. Have a peaceful weekend and be kind to yourself. ♥️
  • PKM0515
    Options
    wcollett60 wrote: »
    My selfcare this week is walking, meditative yoga, and knitting. Have a peaceful weekend and be kind to yourself. ♥️

I love the socks you're knitting! You've done a beautiful job. :)