Don't ride bikes on sidewalks

Options
It's getting nicer and people are starting to take their bikes back out. A lot of people don't know that you don't ride on sidewalks; a lot of people do it to feel safer vs riding in traffic.

(1) It's rude to pedestrians. And slightly dangerous because pedestrians aren't obligated to hold a predictable line.

(2) The sidewalk is much more dangerous then the street. Every entrance/exit to every parking lot becomes an uncontrolled intersection. The cyclist thinks they have the right if way because they're going straight and not interrupting the flow of traffic. The driver thinks they have the right of way because they're in a car. A lot of drivers aren't great at looking before they go, they're mostly looking for cars not bikes, and if they see you they assume you're going slowly and will stop for them.

Those morning on my way to get coffee, I saw a cyclist in a day how glow yellow sweatshirt moving strangely on the bike - really attention grabbing. An SUV knocked him to the pavement. Luckily in this case there were no injuries and no obvious property damage. Cyclist insisted that I not call 911, cursed the driver out, and left.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    We're not too many years away from the wearing of body cameras being a common thing. Video of 'cyclist cursing SUV driver after collision' will be rare.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    It's getting nicer and people are starting to take their bikes back out. A lot of people don't know that you don't ride on sidewalks; a lot of people do it to feel safer vs riding in traffic.

(1) It's rude to pedestrians. And slightly dangerous because pedestrians aren't obligated to hold a predictable line.

(2) The sidewalk is much more dangerous then the street. Every entrance/exit to every parking lot becomes an uncontrolled intersection. The cyclist thinks they have the right if way because they're going straight and not interrupting the flow of traffic. The driver thinks they have the right of way because they're in a car. A lot of drivers aren't great at looking before they go, they're mostly looking for cars not bikes, and if they see you they assume you're going slowly and will stop for them.

Those morning on my way to get coffee, I saw a cyclist in a day how glow yellow sweatshirt moving strangely on the bike - really attention grabbing. An SUV knocked him to the pavement. Luckily in this case there were no injuries and no obvious property damage. Cyclist insisted that I not call 911, cursed the driver out, and left.

This was me last summer.

I was popping down a main road about 20mph when a lady decided to pass me at the intersection just to stop in the middle of a turn on the car for a dunkin donuts drive through that was overflowing.

I had no where to go but over my handle bars and maneuver my body midair to take the blow into the side of her SUV with my entire body.

She gets out and immediately said where did you come from? You should be riding on the side walk. I replied, there is no side walk and that's illegal in this town regardless. Its a side"walk" not side"ride".

We exchanged info and I got a call from her insurance company that night telling me I owed them for the dent in her car. SMH.

I mean coffee yes, but DD isn't that good!

I actually swore out loud when I read that. I hope you're funny healed and things went as ok as they possibly could have gone for you.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    First I read that as "don't walk bikes on sidewalks" and was going to be a bit perturbed. To add to your list, riding on the sidewalk (as an adult) is also illegal in some areas. Additionally, pedestrians often walk slower than most cyclists can ride in a straight line.

Also, and really all of these things are "any season" sorts of advice, for the sake of your being alive and a driver not being emotionally scared, please ride with lights. This morning I was driving to rowing and I hadn't gotten to the freeway and low and behold, a cyclist who I could barely see with a sheer lack of lights on their bike or person. Yes it was 4:35ish in the morning so there weren't a lot of cars, but obviously there were cars on the road and given the direction the cyclist was riding, they were going to be in an even poorer lit area within a minute or two that involves a number of turns.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

This was me last summer.

I was popping down a main road about 20mph when a lady decided to pass me at the intersection just to stop in the middle of a turn on the car for a dunkin donuts drive through that was overflowing.

I had no where to go but over my handle bars and maneuver my body midair to take the blow into the side of her SUV with my entire body.

She gets out and immediately said where did you come from? You should be riding on the side walk. I replied, there is no side walk and that's illegal in this town regardless. Its a side"walk" not side"ride".

We exchanged info and I got a call from her insurance company that night telling me I owed them for the dent in her car. SMH.

I mean coffee yes, but DD isn't that good!

I actually swore out loud when I read that. I hope you're funny healed and things went as ok as they possibly could have gone for you.

I laughed on the phone and said I should be during you guys but I'm not like that.
    Don't call me again and its over.

Yeah my wrist was sprained for a few weeks and I had to wear a brace to bench and press. No biggie.

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    As a pedestrian frequently with a dog on the sidewalk, I appreciate a "on your left" or "on your right" from an approaching bicyclist. In some places in my neighborhood, the bike lane and sidewalk are the same pavement. We all just try to look out for each other. But the danger is real - there are little kids zooming around and not watching for cars backing out of driveways, etc.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Sorry. I ride on the sidewalk through my neighborhood because I ride up to the park with my three year old. My three year old is not riding his bike in the street. I go around pedestrians if there are any. What else should I do

OP, I can understand both sides of the argument.

Also, this comment brings up a good question... should children ride their bikes in the street? At what age should they stop riding on the sidewalks and go into the streets?
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    @puffbrat Oh my. Where do you live?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options

In the southwestern US. The ironic thing is that there is a huge cycling community here because there is so much open space, great mountain biking trails, and fantastic weather for most of the year. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of horrible drivers as well as some really poor infrastructure. Most of the people I know who ride regularly, and everyone my husband knows who do so, have been hit been a car more than once.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    In our city it is legal (and safer) to ride on the sidewalk as long as you hop off and walk the bike when passing a pedestrian.

i would spend more time off my bike than on in that scenario...

It's too big of a city and too hot for anyone to walk anywhere so it's not an issue. The bigger issue is the condition of most of the sidewalks. Most are unrideable and hardly walkable, so you are forced to ride in the street anyway.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I ride on the sidewalk through my neighborhood because I ride up to the park with my three year old. My three year old is not riding his bike in the street. I go around pedestrians if there are any. What else should I do

Well it's not like I'm the king laying down the law. I saw somebody get hit this morning, and explained what the dangers are, a few other people helped too. It's a shame when people are taking risks they don't realize, and that's why I'm posting this. You know your neighborhood and I don't. :wink:

In Seattle during the summer they close a few streets to cars on Sunday afternoons (?). One of them goes along the lake front, there are lots of parks and good views. Parents drive in from other neighborhoods with their kids for this. I don't know if that's available where you are but it's cool. Not only do you get to ride in the road without cars, but your kid will get to see a lot of other people having fun on bikes and that's good encouragement.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

In the southwestern US. The ironic thing is that there is a huge cycling community here because there is so much open space, great mountain biking trails, and fantastic weather for most of the year. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of horrible drivers as well as some really poor infrastructure. Most of the people I know who ride regularly, and everyone my husband knows who do so, have been hit been a car more than once.

I live in the Albuquerque metro area...we have some pretty horrible drivers here, but I've never been hit by a car and I'm a pretty avid cyclist. We have some great multi use trails and I stay away from really busy streets, even if they have a bike lane.

OP, I can understand both sides of the argument.

Also, this comment brings up a good question... should children ride their bikes in the street? At what age should they stop riding on the sidewalks and go into the streets?

My village doesn't even have sidewalks. I'm a pretty avid cyclists and my kids have grown up with that and they ride in the bike lane with me when we're out. Our main road through the village is only 30 MPH though, and pretty mellow in terms of traffic volume and well patrolled by the local PD. They ride in the neighborhood streets all of the time on their own.