Why does eating healthy cost so much πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Options
Bought fruits, salad, and shrimp from the grocery store and it came to $90.33 πŸ€·β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚ Oh well, now to devour it all
Β«134567

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    admittedly I only buy shrimp when its on sale - but its 6.99-8.99 a lb typically; most of my protein is make up of chicken/pork tenderloin etc

did you buy the salad off like a salad bar - because that easily triples the cost?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It may depend on where you shop.
    It’s actually cheaper for me now, I buy salad ingredients and fresh fruit every week. I’ve never purchased fresh shrimp, always frozen. As another person asked, where do you live? Seems very excessive to me. I guess it depends on how much you purchased too.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I am eating "well" my grocery bill is higher, too. I try to stock up on things when they're on sale, like frozen veggies I can use when I run out of fresh. Same with lentils. I buy loads of those when the bags are 2-for-1, and they last for a long time.
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That does seem high, but as others have pointed out there's a lot of tricks (like buying frozen fruit/veggies if you're going to make them into something like stirfry or smoothie) that can help you budget.

The cost of healthy eating definitely varies by region! Unfortunately your location/proximity to farms definitely influences the cost of fresh produce, as does the season. Buying in season is always good advice, or at least watch for coupons & sales.

I find it pretty easy to eat well on my budget. I average about $35/week on groceries (I'm single so only feeding myself). Can't afford things like almond butter or premade frozen meals on a budget like that, but it's not too hard to get fresh/frozen fruit & veggies, beans, eggs, tofu, the things that keep me going. Actually, I realized some of the unhealthy foods I've cut back on (namely chips ahoy...how I miss them!) were more expensive than the healthy foods I've added!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: Β»
    She's in UK... May be wrong conversion.. pounds/Euros to dollars.?

If that's the case, it would be even more in US dollars. o:
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: Β»
    She's in UK... May be wrong conversion.. pounds/Euros to dollars.?

If that's the case, it would be even more in US dollars. o:

Well one can only guess if the op did the conversion wrong.. πŸ’΅πŸ’ΆπŸ’·