Why does eating healthy cost so much 🤷‍♀️

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    There are so many ways to reduce the cost, all of them mentioned already. Time is a resource too, so I totally get not wanting to go to a different store for each item and hours looking for coupons! Everything is a balance right? A give and take. Eating healthy is my health insurance cost.
  • britishbombshell08
    britishbombshell08 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Bought fruits, salad, and shrimp from the grocery store and it came to $90.33 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️😂 Oh well, now to devour it all

WTF? How much of that did you buy? I call BS.

Definitely wasn’t bs. But guess the pre made salads and shrimp are what did it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Yeah, that seems really high. High-end groceries stores, organic, and anything that's already prepared will make the cost go up. It's possible to eat healthy on a budget. I buy a lot frozen, too.

Frozen is great. Actually the cool thing about frozen is they harvest when ripe, as opposed to fresh they harvest earlier because of shipping time. So sometimes frozen actually has more nutrients developed, even if freezing alters, as does cooking alter. :)

• britishbombshell08
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    She's in UK... May be wrong conversion.. pounds/Euros to dollars.?

If that's the case, it would be even more in US dollars. o:

Well one can only guess if the op did the conversion wrong.. 💵💶💷

I’m not an OP. Just figured out how to find my discussion threads. And didn’t do the conversion wrong. Purchased this in the US. Thanks
  • britishbombshell08
    Options
    OP I can feed a family for what you spent.
    1. Learn what fruits and vegetables are in season in your area--buy those if you want fresh, if not, buy frozen.
    2. Comb the supermarket ads in your area and buy on sale.
    3. My favorite supermarket likes to give out bonus coupons for every $15 spent. I do most of my
    shopping there and it saves me money.
    4. Buy items that are not quickly perishable in bulk when on sale--stock up on beans, chick peas,
    lentils, canned goods, etc.

Thanks for the info🙏
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

I’m not an OP. Just figured out how to find my discussion threads. And didn’t do the conversion wrong. Purchased this in the US. Thanks

You are the OP in this thread. You're the one that started the thread. OP means "original poster". You are not the OP in other threads that you didn't start, but you started this one so you are the OP.
  • britishbombshell08
    Options

Or perhaps OP is British but doesn't live in the UK? For now we are still allowed to live other places :wink: #HappyNotBrexitDay lol

Ha funny. Yes I’m British. Live in London. But also have a home in the US and I purchased my groceries at stop and shop.
  • britishbombshell08
    Options

Or perhaps OP is British but doesn't live in the UK? For now we are still allowed to live other places :wink: #HappyNotBrexitDay lol

Or she bought 20 pounds of shrimp at one time . Haha

Fried shrimp
    Shrimp gumbo
    Smoke Shrimp
    Grilled shrimp
    (Buba voice over)

Funny. Good one lol
  • britishbombshell08
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    No way to tell if the bill is BS or not without knowing quantities, but it seems high to me too.

I live in Chicago and a quick search on instacart turns up a lot of options for shrimp under $9.99/lb. That is the current instacart price for shrimp from WF. Even if it were $10, that leaves $80 for fruits and salad?

Btw, fresh veg at this time of year is something of a mirage, since it's going to come from far away, organic is not necessary for healthy eating (nothing wrong with getting it if you want, but when people claim that eating healthy costs a fortune they are usually choosing the more expensive items like that, and I think it's a shame to mislead people into thinking they to eat healthfully will require them to spend more than they are comfortable with, it can be done without breaking the bank). Among other things, at this time of year you can save money (organic or not) by buying frozen. I buy a lot "fresh" since I prefer cooking them than the frozen, but at this time of year frozen is likely more nutritious.

Not much fresh produce available at a farmer's market this time of year either, which is why most of them aren't running. Green City (which is not cheap, although I like it) is open only every other week.

I'm picky about tomatoes (prefer to grow my own or get them from a farm, rather than buy tasteless ones out of season and picked early for transport), so at this time of year I prefer canned. Luckily that saves money.

Thanks so much for the tips.
  • britishbombshell08
    Options

Still not right unless shes buying from harrods.

Haha too funny 😂 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️
  • britishbombshell08
    Options

You are the OP in this thread. You're the one that started the thread. OP means "original poster". You are not the OP in other threads that you didn't start, but you started this one so you are the OP.

I get it. For some reason I was looking at it as a negative thing. I’m multitasking right now so handling a lot but got it. Thanks for the clarification 🙏
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am in Europe and my S/O does the once a week grocery shopping. I am homebound due to HF. Usually is around 99 euro for two persons food for 1 week. When my teen DD was still home it was 125 euro for 3 persons food 1 week.Also since this year food items have more VAT taxes here and where harvest issues so less produce and higher prices or less amount same price.Like the carrots I usually have some left for raw and now is less in the bag.
    I re-started the weightloss again first days of april and the last weekly shop was 20 more euro in lean protein, more vegetables , Wasa crisp bread, cheese that is tasty but less calories it all ads up, more lemons/limes, waters.
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I notice that if I take my time, look for sale items, use coupons, etc, I can stay within a budget. When I am tired and rushed, I overspend. Sometimes just laziness on my part.
  • britishbombshell08
    Options
    mbonacci12 wrote: »
    I notice that if I take my time, look for sale items, use coupons, etc, I can stay within a budget. When I am tired and rushed, I overspend. Sometimes just laziness on my part.

Yes I definitely do that and most times I never look for sales. I just want what I want in the quickest amount of time 🤷‍♀️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Yes I definitely do that and most times I never look for sales. I just want what I want in the quickest amount of time 🤷‍♀️

Yes, before I moved in with my OH and he shopped for himself he just went to the closest store and never looked at the prices. I just buy the "loss leaders" from that store on weeks when they are particularly good - I don't shop there often.

We get sales flyers in the mail once a week and I spend about 20 minutes reviewing them and deciding where to shop. This decision is often based on who has my more pricey staples on sale.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    It really varies based on location, but that seems really high? Did you buy all fresh? I only buy fresh veggies for my salads and then frozen for everything else (veggies that I use for sides, stir-frys, rice bowls etc). I also buy a lot of frozen fruit (smoothies, baking etc), which is cheaper than fresh fruit usually. Fresh fruit I only buy on sale/store's weekly loss leaders. We also use some canned veg/fruit.

Frozen shrimp-I can get 'salad' shrimp, which is cooked/peeled for around $5 a bag/4 servings. What did you pay?
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Bought fruits, salad, and shrimp from the grocery store and it came to $90.33 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️😂 Oh well, now to devour it all

WTF? How much of that did you buy? I call BS.

It all depends!

In my area, organic berries (raspberries, blackberries) cost around $5.99-$6.99 per half pint. I usually buy at least 4-6 containers. That’s $24-$42, without accounting for strawberries, blueberries, and all other fruits and veggies. $90.33 sounds very reasonable to me where I live.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, before I moved in with my OH and he shopped for himself he just went to the closest store and never looked at the prices. I just buy the "loss leaders" from that store on weeks when they are particularly good - I don't shop there often.

We get sales flyers in the mail once a week and I spend about 20 minutes reviewing them and deciding where to shop. This decision is often based on who has my more pricey staples on sale.

This is what I do too.