lack of support? Come on really??

13»

Replies

• Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    You've done so much amazing stuff already, he's acclimatised to your awesomeness. Well done, great achievement :-)
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Well that's why we're all here.

Try to just do it for *YOU* because you're the only one it matters to this much, right now. Frankly it's probably boring to get a play-by-play of your gym comings and goings, even if it is a great accomplishment. He still doesn't SEE that you changed. He can't see that your tendon is healthier. He can't see that you're really running now! And frankly, the only way to get over your belly jiggle is to keep running. Believe me, he'll know later that you meant it.

Also, hey - you jogged, you're a runner now. Screw the self-doubt of the belly jiggle. Screw that thought in your head that you think you need support- you're doing this. It's for yourself, and YOU are ALREADY doing it. Screw it that he isn't elated for you, because dammit, YOU are elated for you!!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    I am so frustrated. Just on Sunday I was talking with the Hub and we were talking about cardio and running/jogging. I shared that I was embarrassed to BC of a jiggling belly and such. He said maybe "you will someday." Well, today the trainer had me jog from one end of the yard to the other x3. I did it. In total it was 3/4 of a mile. Plus the rest of the session. It was a good day!

I shared with the Hub that I actually jogged today! His reaction an very blah "that's good." It was almost as if he didn't hear me.. I am so sick of the lack of support on his end. Hr says he likes the changes but doesn't show it and doesn't participate in the victories or working out with me when I ask..

I'm so over it..

Well done on your running!

Out of interest, are you continually going on and on about weightloss and exercise? If so, that will be why your husband is only "half there" when you start talking about it. As for getting him to join in, that will most likely, prove extremely difficult now because even if he did just go along with you because you asked him to, it wouldn't last long, unless he suddenly discovered a personal interest in the activity for himself.

Edited to say: I just read your profile and FWIW, I think you are very accomplished and have achieved a hell of a lot, do not let ANYBODY ever tell you any different. WTG OP, respect to you :flowerforyou:

ty :)
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    You've done so much amazing stuff already, he's acclimatised to your awesomeness. Well done, great achievement :-)
    ha! Maybe :)
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    Wow, I just read your profile and you are awesome! I'm sure your husband is also impressed but he's a bloke - they're different you know, you have to signal to them what the important things are and then you might get some enthusiasm :smile: You have done so well, lost heaps of weight and struggled with all sorts of problems, he must be really proud of you!

ty:)
    just for the record, in response to another post. I don't tell him everyday, BC not everyday is a big success, it just is. Jogging/running has been in my kist since the beginning. I hadn't even really ran/jogged before my accident.
  • I wouldn't worry about it. My fiance would say the same thing, and I know he is supportive. I mean in all reality, what did you want him to say? I wouldn't sweat it! :)
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Congrats on your accomplishment. I can see both sides of the story here...I expect my husband to be as supportive as possible, but I also know he can't match my excitement levels when I have a victory. I'm in this for me...as you should be. Leading by example is the best influence we can possibly make with our loved ones! Hang in there and keep achieving!
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    my family and spouse do support me but they don't want to hear about it. I understand things they care about I don't want to hear about everyday either. I have Gym friends and workout peps that enjoy talking about it. I fish / hunt and work on cars- my gym friends don't really want daily details about it. .
    Fact is you are doing great! you be proud of you and if he's in- he's in.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    I think this might be a tough topic for some guys. He might be afraid that his encouragement might be construed as you thinking that his encouragement is based on this notion that you need to lose weight. Also if he's seen failed attempts over the years, he may be thinking this is just another failed attempt.

You need to do this for you and you only---hopefully as you conquer goals and milestones, his enthusiam and encouragement will kick in.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    I just read your profile...

Like someone else said "he got used to your awesomeness" you are truly amazing!!!
    If he won't give you the props you can always come here and I'd be happy to do it for him, your strength is inspiring!!!