Best exercise to start with?

Options
2»

Replies

• ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The best exercise is the one each of us personally finds fun, ideally so fun we'd do it even if it weren't good for us.

We'll do that exercise regularly because we want to, instead of skipping it at the slightest excuse as we might if doing something theoretically more perfect, but not very fun. Bonus points if the thing that's fun is just a tiny bit challenging, and has ways to stay challenging for a while (by going further or faster; or by working to get stronger or more flexible; or to improve at it in an aesthetic way (as in dance) or a technical way (as in my sport, rowing).

So, if yoga sounds fun to you, try it. If it really is fun to you**, keep doing it. If it turns out to be not very fun, try something else, until you find the fun. You will! (Sometimes just trying things, and varying what you do over time, can be fun in itself.)

** Do expect that when you start a new thing, it may feel awkward or even "impossible" at first. That's completely normal. If it's in a group setting, everyone there was new and awkward at it when they started, too, so they're unlikely to be judging, and likely to be cheering you on (whether they say so or not). Things that are easy right off the bat tend to get boring really fast. Something that seems a little more complicated at the start can be more interesting long term. Try to give each new thing you sample a few sessions before deciding it's not for you, as long as it isn't actually injuring you in some way.

Another good idea, IMO, is to start slowly, and build up gradually. Maybe start with a day or two a week, for a manageable duration, and at mildly challenging but not punitve intensity. As the basic level gets easier, add more frequency, duration, or intensity as you're able; and as long as it's still fun.

Exercise is supposed to be fun and energizing. Sometime people think that if it isn't miserable and exhausting, it's no good: That's just plain false.

Best wishes!

I think you really touched on something there. I got turned off to exercise during the misery of P.E. class in school, always being the chubby, awkward, unathletic kid, and hated any physical activity thereafter. Especially during the summer heat. You're right. Exercise should be joyous, a celebration of the body and spirit, instead of feeling like a punishment. I'll probably try beginner's yoga at home first, then if I take to it and feel ready, try a class. I've thought about spin classes too. I really appreciate you taking the time to give such good, thoughtful advice. It reminds me that I don't have to be scared of exercise. Just find something I truly enjoy. Thank you!
  • ultra_violets
    Options
    I can understand how looking at the calorie burn can be discouraging. But don’t let that get to you. I personally started with walking. 5 or 10 minutes here and there. Downloading podcasts helped me walk longer because I was more entertained listening. I used a Fitbit to help motivate me to do more over time. I enjoy checking out trails at different public parks when the weather is nice.

Those are some good ideas. If I have something interesting to listen to, I could definitely walk a good while! And the parks are lovely this time of year. I'll give it a try! And thanks.
  • ultra_violets
    Options
    Walk.

Thanks!
  • ultra_violets
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    As the others have said ... walk!

Thanks! It does sound like a good way to ease myself back into regular physical exercise before I get into anything more complex.
  • ultra_violets
    Options
    SharonB904 wrote: »
    Since you expressed an interest in yoga, have a look at the You Tube videos for Yoga with Adriene. I just completed the 30 day challenge and it has been wonderful for me. Your mileage may vary, but it is worth having a look and see if it will be interesting to you. I am going to do the 'True' Challenge in April. I am pretty sedentary and I was amazed at the difference 30 day of yoga made for me. I did what I could and did not even think twice about what I could not do or how many calories I burned. I just went with the flow and am totally amazed at what I can do now that I could not imagine doing only one month ago. Good luck on your journey to a healthier you

Wow...that's amazing that you had such good results in 30 days. I'm inspired and I'll try it too. Thanks for the advice and the recommendation. I'm a big believer in youtube for fitness and health and I'm excited to check out these videos.
  • ultra_violets
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Another vote for walking, preferably outside, in nature. I get outside cardio at lunchtime on days that are not raining and do yoga inside when raining, plus sometimes yoga at night on outdoor cardio days.

That sounds wonderful. I've really been getting more into nature lately, and this is the perfect time of year to do it. Sadly, all too soon it'll be extremely hot and humid here, but you've given me some good ideas on what to do on those days when I'm stuck indoors.
  • ultra_violets
    Options
    sharon8271 wrote: »
    Walking outside is how I started to lose weight. I started walking to the store and carrying groceries home. Walking in parks and trails is the best way to get started.

Great ideas, thank you! The consensus definitely seems to be walking to start out with, and as someone else said, it's free. I'm going to take advantage of this cool Spring weather and give it a try.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,680 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The best exercise is the one each of us personally finds fun, ideally so fun we'd do it even if it weren't good for us.

We'll do that exercise regularly because we want to, instead of skipping it at the slightest excuse as we might if doing something theoretically more perfect, but not very fun. Bonus points if the thing that's fun is just a tiny bit challenging, and has ways to stay challenging for a while (by going further or faster; or by working to get stronger or more flexible; or to improve at it in an aesthetic way (as in dance) or a technical way (as in my sport, rowing).

So, if yoga sounds fun to you, try it. If it really is fun to you**, keep doing it. If it turns out to be not very fun, try something else, until you find the fun. You will! (Sometimes just trying things, and varying what you do over time, can be fun in itself.)

** Do expect that when you start a new thing, it may feel awkward or even "impossible" at first. That's completely normal. If it's in a group setting, everyone there was new and awkward at it when they started, too, so they're unlikely to be judging, and likely to be cheering you on (whether they say so or not). Things that are easy right off the bat tend to get boring really fast. Something that seems a little more complicated at the start can be more interesting long term. Try to give each new thing you sample a few sessions before deciding it's not for you, as long as it isn't actually injuring you in some way.

Another good idea, IMO, is to start slowly, and build up gradually. Maybe start with a day or two a week, for a manageable duration, and at mildly challenging but not punitve intensity. As the basic level gets easier, add more frequency, duration, or intensity as you're able; and as long as it's still fun.

Exercise is supposed to be fun and energizing. Sometime people think that if it isn't miserable and exhausting, it's no good: That's just plain false.

Best wishes!

I think you really touched on something there. I got turned off to exercise during the misery of P.E. class in school, always being the chubby, awkward, unathletic kid, and hated any physical activity thereafter. Especially during the summer heat. You're right. Exercise should be joyous, a celebration of the body and spirit, instead of feeling like a punishment. I'll probably try beginner's yoga at home first, then if I take to it and feel ready, try a class. I've thought about spin classes too. I really appreciate you taking the time to give such good, thoughtful advice. It reminds me that I don't have to be scared of exercise. Just find something I truly enjoy. Thank you!

Yay!

As an aside, I wanted to tell you that the bolded was pretty much me, during school years, too. I wasn't always picked last for teams, but always within the last 4-5 picked (in huge gym classes). (I could still name those other girls today.)

Now, at 63, I consider myself an athlete (recreational type, since I don't much compete now), after getting much more active in my mid-40s. I'll never be an elite athlete, even in my age group, but some of my results are about 75% percentile for my age (e.g., faster than 75% of women my age/size, some of whom have been active in my sport - rowing - for decades), and I've even, to my surprise, age-group medaled in some local/regional races. None of that is anything to brag about in the abstract, but it makes me feel good to have progressed that far, starting so late . . . while mostly just trying to have fun and feel better/be healthier.

If you get going, and progress gradually but persistently, I predict you'll surprise yourself with what you can do, and how much fun it can be.

Best wishes!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Walking outside is my favorite, followed by Leslie Sansone walk at home videos. And when I'm having trouble reaching my step goals for the day I walk laps around the house including a flight of stairs in each lap, at my house 10 laps equals about 1000 steps
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    For bad weather days I have learned that there are 30 steps in the circle that makes my kitchen/living room loop. I’ve walked that tiny loop many times while chatting on the phone with a friend or listening to music etc. to make sure I got some sort of exercise in. It’s amazing how many steps add up when walking a little here and there. I make sure to fit in a few laps any time I heat something up in the microwave. Or I can walk those tiny laps while Googling for recipes on my phone. It may sound silly but it’s working for me. Before I had my Fitbit I used my phone to track my overall steps and increased my step goal over time.

I also really like the beginner strength training videos on YouTube by HASfit.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I love dancing, and recommend the Fitness Marshall on YouTube.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options
    Walking.

Also, the first two winters I was losing weight (I lost 90 pounds) I went to deep water running classes at our local rec centre. Once I got past that initial walk from the change room to the water in a bathing suit, I absolutely loved it and usually went three times a week. You can make the class as easy or as difficult as you like so as you get fitter, you just work harder. Its so kind to your joints and you wear a foam belt so no worries about sinking. If that sort of a class is an option for you, I'd definitely recommend it.