Do I need to gain weight?

Options
ppomoberry
ppomoberry Posts: 21 Member
Hello all! I am currently 18 years old and am 5 feet 11 inches and as of last week Saturday weight 118.2 pounds and as of this Saturday weight 117.4 pounds. I used to do a split of Monday (Legs and Shoulders), Wednesday (bicep and back), Friday (Chest and Tricep) with Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday being my jump rope days where I would skip rope for about an hour. I recently switched to the muscle and stength three day split with dumbbells for beginners and stopped as of the last two weeks doing my hour session on Tuesday and Thursday and even today did not do my normal Sunday routine as my elbows or top near my shoulder and back arm hurt to spit the rope as fast as I normally can. I have been eating relatively the same though did feel a bit bad about eating Sunday pancakes as I did not get my usual workout in. However, I am underweight by BMI standards but I know that’s not the best tool. So here is a picture of my physique from about 3 weeks ago and should be relatively the same as I did seem to lose weight since then. I do not track my food except for breakfast as it is impossible as I do not cook my meals but they usually always consist of rice (white or white with some butter or Mexican red rice), Peruvian beans (boiled or refried), and protein (chicken breast, sometimes carne asada, sometimes wild salmon, octopus, cod, rarely chicken thighs, eggs, egg whites) and always handmade tortillas which I know are carb heavy as they are thicker than factory ones which is why I’m concerned that limiting my cardio will cause significant weight gain due to the carbs in handmade tortillas and I can go through 3-5 in one sitting. My snack is usually 350g of strawberries on weekdays and I will eat an apple if I did not go to classes that day. When I have classes my lunch is usually left over protein or canned tuna with broccoli, sugar snap peas, and cauliflower.

gpscca2mpf3j.jpeg
e2tz9jc0rj2q.jpeg
1ak9vqne0u8m.jpeg

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    What does your doctor say?

This was what I was going to ask
  • ppomoberry
    Options

This was what I was going to ask
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yes. I would highly recommend you see your doctor.

The doctor that I saw all agree that he is not the most reliable in anything and recently got switched due to moving out of that age range for doctors. He said something about being on the low end of the percentile and monitored my weight for a month and at the end of that month I ended up losing weight and he told me to ensure that I eat or I’ll end up like my sister (she has anorexia) but I do eat but now that I’ve limited my cardio I am concerned about keeping my diet as it is high in carb and also high in protein. Does my body need all these tortillas or should I limit them but I am so accustomed to them that I’m not sure. I obviously don’t have much muscle which I am trying to build (but not excessive just tone).
  • ppomoberry
    Options
    Don't limit the tortillas. You are under weight. Please be careful to refuel your body if you want to keep up with your workouts. My friend is quite tiny and has a small appetite, so she often brings a little ensure or boost drink to have as a snack at work. If you see certain foods as "bad" perhaps something like that would help? You mention your carbs and protein, and only 2 fruits as snacks. Are you eating vegetables or other fruits? What are your favorite foods? Can you add more of those to your day?

Well breakfast is usually either scrambled eggs, turkey bacon with Ezekiel bread or sweet potato or I will have two slices of Ezekiel bread with some pbfit, banana, and a protein shake. I don’t eat any vegetables when I don’t have classes but when I do my lunch is left over chicken or canned tuna with broccoli, cauliflower, and some sugar snap peas.

• ppomoberry
    Options
    Everything you are eating sounds healthy. You can just either eat larger portions or add something higher calorie, like butter, cheese, a glass of milk, nuts, etc. There is no need at this point to eat anything "light" as in low or non-fat or lower calorie version.

I do have a low fat diet and simply because I don’t have an eye for fats. The only real fats I get are from eggs, refried beans, rice (depending on which one was made that day) and any residue from avocado oil spray. I have limited cardio but is that the best choice? Should I still do cardio or wait for weight gain from strength training?
  • ppomoberry
    Options
    ppomoberry wrote: »
    Everything you are eating sounds healthy. You can just either eat larger portions or add something higher calorie, like butter, cheese, a glass of milk, nuts, etc. There is no need at this point to eat anything "light" as in low or non-fat or lower calorie version.

I do have a low fat diet and simply because I don’t have an eye for fats. The only real fats I get are from eggs, refried beans, rice (depending on which one was made that day) and any residue from avocado oil spray. I have limited cardio but is that the best choice? Should I still do cardio or wait for weight gain from strength training?

You can't gain weight from strength training unless you are in a calorie surplus and lifting progressively. I'm not sure what you mean by not having an eye for fats...you don't like them or you don't know what a serving looks like? Fats are essential to your health and also the easiest way to get more calories. Do you like nuts? Milk? More eggs? Ice cream?

Yeah I generally don’t like them as I like volume in my foods so I tend to avoid them for that reason also yeah just not a huge fan of them taste wise. However am I like severely underweight is my question as I seem to keep losing weight add a steady pace. Is that bad per say?

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Eat everything. Anything and everything. Nothing should be off limits. Do you know how many calories a day your eating?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

You can't gain weight from strength training unless you are in a calorie surplus and lifting progressively. I'm not sure what you mean by not having an eye for fats...you don't like them or you don't know what a serving looks like? Fats are essential to your health and also the easiest way to get more calories. Do you like nuts? Milk? More eggs? Ice cream?

Yeah I generally don’t like them as I like volume in my foods so I tend to avoid them for that reason also yeah just not a huge fan of them taste wise. However am I like severely underweight is my question as I seem to keep losing weight add a steady pace. Is that bad per say?

If you like volume with your food, then eat larger portions and servings of what you are eating now. You don't need to eat different foods, but you need to eat MORE food.

If you have a hard time doing that, ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian *and* a therapist.