Need tips for body recomposition

Options
Hello all
I've been trying out body recomposition for some time now. Currently, I eat my maintenance calories on training days and I decrease for rest days. My question is, is body recomposition best practiced while eating at maintenance or am I supposed to be eating above? Also, I eat about 1800 cals for my MC. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to eat exercise calories or if I'm okay just eating the 1800. These are the two parts about body recomposition that confuse me mainly because I honestly get stressed if I'm doing it right

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you are eating above maintenance you would technically no longer be recomping but gaining (bulking) so instead of losing fat and gaining muscle, you would be gaining muscle and some fat. Which is fine but that might not be your goal.

As long as you are maintaining your weight over time (+/- 5lbs or so), getting adequate protein (~0.8-1g per lb bodyweight) and following a proper lifting program where you progress over time, you are doing everything right for recomp. It can take some time to really see progress. Pay attention to the mirror and your measurements, how clothes look/fit as well as your gym progress.
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you are eating above maintenance you would technically no longer be recomping but gaining (bulking) so instead of losing fat and gaining muscle, you would be gaining muscle and some fat. Which is fine but that might not be your goal.

As long as you are maintaining your weight over time (+/- 5lbs or so), getting adequate protein (~0.8-1g per lb bodyweight) and following a proper lifting program where you progress over time, you are doing everything right for recomp. It can take some time to really see progress. Pay attention to the mirror and your measurements, how clothes look/fit as well as your gym progress.

Thank you very much. I was worried because some people were saying you needed to eat above maintenance for muscle gain but I thought the point of body recomp was to eat at maintenance. Should I be eating my exercise calories back or am I alright just eating the 1800?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    digidoomed wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thank you very much. I was worried because some people were saying you needed to eat above maintenance for muscle gain but I thought the point of body recomp was to eat at maintenance. Should I be eating my exercise calories back or am I alright just eating the 1800?

I would eat at least some of them, but overall you want to eat enough that you maintain your weight. If you are maintaining over time you are eating at the right amount.