Olive oil

Am I the only person that dislikes olive oil? I just don’t like the flavor. There’s a shop in the nearby town I shop in, that sells imported olive oil, flavor infused, EVOO, regular olive oil and vinegars. My husband eats his salad with just olive oil and black pepper on it. I made smashed baby red potatoes on Sunday, and couldn’t even finish one potato. I don’t think it’s the quality of the oil, cuz I have tasted samples at the shop and found none of them pleasing to me. So, back to canola oil for me.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I love olive oil, but it has a very distinct taste so it makes sense that not everyone would care for it. Nothing is universally liked!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I've never met someone who doesn't like it, but you can't possibly be the only one in the world. *shrug*
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I've never met someone who doesn't like it, but you can't possibly be the only one in the world. *shrug*

A buddy of mine hates it.

An unchecked amount of olive oil definitely contributed to my weight gain. I adore the stuff.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I hate coffee. Your dislike of olive oil pales in comparison, based on the shocked reactions I've received when revealing that shameful truth about myself :lol:
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I hate coffee. Your dislike of olive oil pales in comparison, based on the shocked reactions I've received when revealing that shameful truth about myself :lol:

Did we already know that we both hated coffee? I feel like we did, but I can't remember. I also hate coffee.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

Did we already know that we both hated coffee? I feel like we did, but I can't remember. I also hate coffee.

Probably :lol:
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You anti-coffee twins are dead to me now.

But that leaves more for you! Twice as much, actually.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Ghosts don't drink coffee anyway so it is the same amount!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    You don't have to use olive oil. Use whatever you like. I love coconut oil, but it's not for everything.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

Three times. I despise coffee! I have nearly been shunned by coworkers for my refusal to drink it. I do, however, love olive oil.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I love it, but there's always someone who dislikes everything, and I don't think it's that unusual to dislike olive oil.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I love olive oil. You can try grapeseed or avocado oil as an alternative.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »

Three times. I despise coffee! I have nearly been shunned by coworkers for my refusal to drink it. I do, however, love olive oil.

My coworkers give me the confused "oh" when I tell them. Then I laugh evilly when they're out of coffee and trying to commiserate with me about it because they forgot I don't like it. I am not impacted by your predicament, dear coffee drinkers! I shall drink my diet coke all the way to my desk!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »

Does it count if I don't like coffee but i drink a lot of it because i really like sweetened coffee-flavored cream?

I do like olive oil but was only introduced to it as an adult. My mom cooked exclusively with crisco :o
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Legit if I need extra calories from fat at the end of the day I’ll just pour some EVOO in a shotglass and shoot it lol
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited April 2019
    I love olive oil, but it has a very distinct taste so it makes sense that not everyone would care for it. Nothing is universally liked!

I don't think it tastes like anything, weird! That's the reason why I don't care for it-don't want to waste calories on something with no flavor lol.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I don't think it tastes like anything, weird! That's the reason why I don't care for it-don't want to waste calories on something with no flavor lol.

For me it's most noticeable during cooking. Smelling anything sauteeing in olive oil is like instant appetite, even if I just ate :) But I can easily see how the strong smell could be unpleasant to some people.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »

Agreed! With the exception of a few cold applications, it's almost neutral. Sesame oil, now that's where it's at flavourtown wise.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Cheap olive oil is tasteless - in more than one way.