Olive oil

Options

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If it is just that you want to use olive oil, purchase plain olive oil versus Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Lots of people suggest plain olive oil for cooking applications (smashed potatoes) and Extra Virgin for cold applications (salad).

Extra virgin has that "bite" you find unfavorable. Plain olive oil does not.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    It definitely has a more pungent flavor that I could see people not liking, so there are probably others out there that dislike it. Me, on the other hand - if I ever needed to pound down 3000 calories in a sitting for whatever reason, I'd reach for some baguette and EVOO. That stuff is good and goes down easy.

Me too!! With a drizzle of GOOD quality balsamic vinegar in that strong - the strongest most pungent olive oil - with crusty sourdough artisan baguette?

I could smash more than 3000 calories I think LOL
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I hate coffee. Your dislike of olive oil pales in comparison, based on the shocked reactions I've received when revealing that shameful truth about myself :lol:

Did we already know that we both hated coffee? I feel like we did, but I can't remember. I also hate coffee.

Count me in - my hatred of coffee reaches aversion levels. 🤷‍♀️

But I do love olive oil...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    I love olive oil, but it has a very distinct taste so it makes sense that not everyone would care for it. Nothing is universally liked!

I don't think it tastes like anything, weird! That's the reason why I don't care for it-don't want to waste calories on something with no flavor lol.

Most likely you didn't have extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), which has a distinct taste. Less likely, there is something wrong with your taste buds ;)

I didn't like EVOO until I had a sample of Olave, which comes from Chile. Anyone know if they have since gone out of business? Tried to look this up for my mom and google was not helpful. When I stopped seeing Olave in the stores I switched to California Olive Ranch. I use EVOO for foods like salads, and for cooking use safflower oil or something with a higher smoke point and lower cost than EVOO.

I'll have to try a European EVOO to see if I still don't care for them or if my tastes have evolved.

I got the $1 introductory bottle of olive oil from these guys https://www.freshpressedoliveoil.com, received the Chilean EVOO, and gave it to my mom. We both liked it very much, but I didn't stay in the program because I felt their post-introductory price was unnecessarily high.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    It definitely has a more pungent flavor that I could see people not liking, so there are probably others out there that dislike it. Me, on the other hand - if I ever needed to pound down 3000 calories in a sitting for whatever reason, I'd reach for some baguette and EVOO. That stuff is good and goes down easy.

Me too!! With a drizzle of GOOD quality balsamic vinegar in that strong - the strongest most pungent olive oil - with crusty sourdough artisan baguette?

I could smash more than 3000 calories I think LOL

Never learn how to make no knead bread. Baguettes, and really crusty bread are unfortunately the easiest ones to make haha
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I love olive oil, but it has a very distinct taste so it makes sense that not everyone would care for it. Nothing is universally liked!

I don't think it tastes like anything, weird! That's the reason why I don't care for it-don't want to waste calories on something with no flavor lol.

I should clarify -- high quality extra virgin olive oil has a very distinct taste to me. Regular refined olive oil doesn't really.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Most likely you didn't have extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), which has a distinct taste. Less likely, there is something wrong with your taste buds ;)

Yeah, you gotta get the kind that just wafts out when you open the bottle, especially for baguette because the bread cuts the sharpness a little, so it has to be extra sharp to make up for it.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't like olives, ergo, I don't like olive oil (for the most part). I prefer good EVOO instead of butter on my bread (if I put anything on my bread) and good EVOO on pasta with fresh veggies and no other sauces.
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    I don't like olives, ergo, I don't like olive oil (for the most part). I prefer good EVOO instead of butter on my bread (if I put anything on my bread) and good EVOO on pasta with fresh veggies and no other sauces.

Oddly, I love olive oil but am extremely picky about olives. I think it's a texture thing. I love cream of mushroom soup but hate mushrooms as well.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I love olives, they are one of my favorite foods.

Funny about the mushrooms vs. cream of mushroom soup. I love all cooked mushrooms except that cream of mushroom soup tends to turn my stomach -- I think it's a holdover from all the terrible casseroles (which I refused to eat as a kid) that used it, even though I know there are good versions of it. I mostly don't like uncooked mushrooms, but occasionally I don't mind them on a salad (although I'd not add them myself, I'll add cooked mushrooms if I want mushrooms).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I hate coffee. Your dislike of olive oil pales in comparison, based on the shocked reactions I've received when revealing that shameful truth about myself :lol:

Did we already know that we both hated coffee? I feel like we did, but I can't remember. I also hate coffee.

I hate coffee too :runs:
  • RelCanonical
    Options

I hate coffee too :runs:

Welcome to the cult. We burn coffee as sacrifice and then sell it to the masses so we can buy soda.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Wow, what kind are you eating? Greek/Italian/Spanish olive oils taste different to me. I love real honest-to-goodness single source Greek oil. It usually has a very peppery taste. Mmmmmmmm.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    I loath coffee. However, I have a needy dog who associates going to the local coffee shop with getting pet-pets, so he tries to drag me in every time we walk past. So I had to find something to like to have an excuse to go in. Hello, chai lattes. Too many calories these days, so I’m learning to love plain steamed almond milk with a pump of sugar free hazelnut. 35 calories. Woot! Or should that be....woof?
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a bit of olive oil on pasta from time to time, it’s very calorie dense though so it’s a rare occasion when I’m eating in deficit
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »

Oddly, I love olive oil but am extremely picky about olives. I think it's a texture thing. I love cream of mushroom soup but hate mushrooms as well.

Yes, I like the flavor of mushrooms but not the texture, so I will use them in cooking and then pick them out.

I'm picky about olives as well. I won't touch canned olives, but like some jarred olives, and oil-cured jarred olives are the best, and, of course, the most expensive.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Doesn't taste like anything to me but then again I use it minimally.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Different EVOO's have different tastes and smells, depending on where they come from. That is, if you're getting the pure stuff and not that cut by other types of oils. Here in Italy, they have very elegant oil tasting occasions. The waiters are in tuxes in front of white tables with one or two bottles of oil on each one. All of the different regions in Italy are present with their best oils. The waiters have a large silver tablespoon on a silver chain and portion out the oil on crusty bread. It's like wine tasting. Every different region has a different taste to their oil. The oil with a low acid percentage is considered in the excellent range.
  • OGingerBeardMan
    OGingerBeardMan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't like raw olive oil. It's the reason I don't care for hummus. However, I don't mind cooking with it.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Can't stand the taste of extra virgin olive oil; too vegetal/grassy. Regular olive oil is a bit too heavy on the greasy aftertaste for me. So like Goldilocks, I find the light tasting olive oil to be just right. :)