Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is white/added sugar bad for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sugar inherently isn't good or bad.

By itself, it's calorie dense, with limited nutritional value (other than energy). It also tends not to be satiating, for most people.

Hardly anyone eats large amounts of sugar all by itself; most often, it's consumed in combination with starches and fats. (Soda/pop is a notable exception, but even that's often consumed in conjunction with other foods). As an overall way of eating, including the typical calorie level involved, there's plenty to criticize about the so-called Standard American Diet. Sugar is demon du jour.

It becomes a problem if someone eats so much added sugar that it either (1) drives out other needed nutrition in order to maintain appropriate calorie intake, or (2) puts one over appropriate calorie intake in order to get adequate nutrition.

Nutrition is important. Appropriate calories are what determine and drive achieving and maintaining a healthy body weight. Healthy body weight is important.

If overall nutrition from one's eating is truly sound, and one is eating the appropriate number of calories, fuss over how much sugar one is eating is just unnecessary drama, IMO.

Organizations like USDA and WHO recommend limiting added sugar. If you go beyond the infographics and read the actual boring detailed words behind them, it's mainly about items (1) and (2) in my 3rd paragraph above.

I think it's more important, useful, practical, and productive to focus on eating nutritious things in an overall sense, ticking all the nutritional boxes, and not so much focus on eliminating particular specific "bad" foods.

P.S. Please be careful not to consume excessive amounts of spinach. It's high in oxalates, vitamin K, and selenium, any of which can be toxic in excessive dosages, especially in interaction with certain prescription drugs.

P.P.S. Please be careful not to eat too many brazil nuts. A single brazil nut provides well over 100% of your daily selenium requirement, and regular consumption of even moderate amounts of the nuts (1oz daily, for example) can be toxic.

P.P.P.S Please be careful not to drink too much water. Hyponatremia is a serious risks, and people have died from overconsumption during endurance events or contests.

Anything else "healthy" I need to warn about? ;););)

You're awesome
  • anb3600
    anb3600 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I’ve read that there is no such thing as “good” and “bad” food but I can’t help but to think that refined, white sugar in sweets is bad for you. Your body doesn’t need it to survive. I feel like it causes a lot of health problems and can become very addicting.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

There's no difference between sugar from the sugar cane that has been processed and sugar in fruit and whatnot. Slightly different ratios of sucrose and fructose, but that's about it. People have been consuming sugar in one form or another for thousands of years.

Over consumption of sugar could be an issue and is for many, but it's not really an all or nothing kind of thing. Having a slice of birthday cake on a special occasion isn't a particularly big deal. Drinking multiple 32 oz Big Gulps daily probably is. There's a whole middle ground called moderation.

Where did you source this information that all sugars are equal? Thanks