Does exercises contribute to weight gain?

Options
preciousleks
preciousleks Posts: 213 Member
I have little knowledge about weight gain so I want to know.
when I started my weight gain last year in September, I was eating a calorie surplus and exercising, and I was gaining. But since the begging of this year I have not been exercising but am still gaining. so I was wondering is the exercise necessary for weight gain?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Exercise burns calories so won't contribute to gaining weight directly.

Strength training is important for helping to maintain/build muscle when attempting to gain weight - as you will gain both fat and muscle but if you don't incorporate strength training and a reasonable protein intake, you'll be gaining more fat and no muscle, which given your previous threads I don't think you want to do.

• preciousleks
    Options

Strength training is important for helping to maintain/build muscle when attempting to gain weight - as you will gain both fat and muscle but if you don't incorporate strength training and a reasonable protein intake, you'll be gaining more fat and no muscle, which given your previous threads I don't think you want to do.

I was doing Squats, lunges, donkey kicks, hip thrust. Is that strength training or it just burns the calories?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

I was doing Squats, lunges, donkey kicks, hip thrust. Is that strength training or it just burns the calories?

Strength training, it still burns some calories, but not a lot. You would probably be better doing a constructed routine rather than just a couple of random exercises though.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • wheatbaby84
    wheatbaby84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I need answers for this too. I lift weights, walk a lot, do squats, and sit ups! Im trying to gain weight and get my eight pack back. Im at a 4 1/2 pack now lollll...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I need answers for this too. I lift weights, walk a lot, do squats, and sit ups! Im trying to gain weight and get my eight pack back. Im at a 4 1/2 pack now lollll...

when you gain weight it will be fat as well as muscle so it is unlikely you will get your 8 pack while gaining... you'll probably need to cut afterwards.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Your calorie balance will determine if you gain or lose weight. Exercise can add to your calorie burn but if you are eating in a surplus you will gain. If you are eating in a surplus and not exercising you will also gain weight (and without any resistance training it will most if not all be fat).

Sometimes exercise, especially higher volume training can make the body retain water so the scale could jump up as a result.
  • carsforsalebklyn
    carsforsalebklyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would say definitely yes. You can ad the weight without exercising but that weight is going to come from accumulating more fat. The weight you would gain from working out would be from gaining more muscle.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What is the reason you are trying to gain weight? Do you want to gain fat or muscle? Eating a calorie surplus will gain you weight. But unless you do strength training, that gain is going to be mostly fat. Lifting weights, especially following a proven progressive lifting program, will enable more of those gains to be muscle. So it depends on your weight gain goal. You cant really build muscle if you are not working them, no matter how much you eat.
  • preciousleks
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    What is the reason you are trying to gain weight? Do you want to gain fat or muscle? Eating a calorie surplus will gain you weight. But unless you do strength training, that gain is going to be mostly fat. Lifting weights, especially following a proven progressive lifting program, will enable more of those gains to be muscle. So it depends on your weight gain goal. You cant really build muscle if you are not working them, no matter how much you eat.

Thank you. I just want to gain weight. I don't have time to go to gym and they are expensive
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Thank you. I just want to gain weight. I don't have time to go to gym and they are expensive

Then do weights at home. Just know that you won't get what you want if you're not prepared to do weight training.
  • preciousleks
    Options

Then do weights at home. Just know that you won't get what you want if you're not prepared to do weight training.

Can I just do body weight exercises?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

No--you won't get the results you're looking for. I remember your other threads and what you're looking for. Have you changed your mind? Then you can do whatever.
  • sardelsa
    Options

If you are a beginner it's fine but it will eventually come to the point where it can be very difficult to add more overload unless you get creative. It really depends on your goals and what you want to achieve.
  • preciousleks
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

If you are a beginner it's fine but it will eventually come to the point where it can be very difficult to add more overload unless you get creative. It really depends on your goals and what you want to achieve.

My goal is to gain weight but minimize belly fat. That is all I want.
  • preciousleks
    Options
    [quoteby="preciousleks;c-43638931"]

No--you won't get the results you're looking for. I remember your other threads and what you're looking for. Have you changed your mind? Then you can do whatever.[/quote]
    My current goal is just to gain weight and minimize belly fat. What is best?
  • sardelsa
    edited April 2019
    Options

Are you following a bodyweight training program now? I would definitely start there to get the most gain to go to muscle. Next keep the surplus small, 0.5lb per week gain max, and get your protein 1g per lb bodyweight. Ultimately it will be up to genetics how you store fat but those factors above can help minimize fat gains
  • preciousleks
    Options

Are you following a bodyweight training program now? I would definitely start there to get the most gain to go to muscle. Next keep the surplus small, 0.5lb per week gain max, and get your protein 1g per lb bodyweight. Ultimately it will be up to genetics how you store fat but those factors above can help minimize fat gains

Am not following a program. Which free program would you recommend? Thank you
  • sardelsa
    Options

See this link under bodyweight programs. I believe most are free

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • preciousleks
    Options

See this link under bodyweight programs. I believe most are free

Thank you for your time. I will check it out