Increased cals from 1200 to 1500 and have gained significantly every day since

Hey guys, really stressed at the moment and not sure what to do. I've been eating 1200 calories gross for 3 months. I work out for over an hour 6 days a week running two and a half miles, walking quickly at an incline, and strength training. I'm 5'6 and around 131 pounds.

I decided I needed to increase my calories and start slowing down my weight loss as I transition to maintenance, so I went up to 1500 after a "cheat" meal which was all logged and left me around 1500 cals net. So nothing too crazy.

The day after my cheat meal I was 59.3 kg (1 kg is 2.2 pounds)
The next day 59.7
Then 59.8
Then 59.8
Then 60
Now today I'm in at 60.4?!

I need to add that my weight never fluctuates like this. I've seen it go up a maximum of .2 kg ever.

Yes I weigh every single thing I eat on a scale. Including oil. My diet has stayed almost identical with an addition of a couple wafer cookies and popcorn or a small portion of spring rolls.

This is 1500 gross as well which means 1200 net at the most with exercise cals.

What am I doing wrong :( I want to just go back to 1200 before I ruin all my hard work. I was losing 1.5 to 2.2 pounds a week before and now I've gained every day for almost a week.

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited April 2019
    I go up and down 2-3 lbs pretty routinely. A trend app like Libra (Android) or Happy Scale (IOS) will keep you sane. It can be any number of things but highly unlikely to be real gain at this point.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Just a thought here but could it be partially increased waste in your system? You are likely eating more quantity and unless you are using the restroom more often that would definately increase what is in your digestive system. The next thought is water due to increased intake - just your body reacting to it? You haven't really gained a substantial amount but I understand that the 60 vs 59 seems like a huge jump. I would give it some time and just wait to see if your body settles.

I really hope it's just waste. I just feel like the extra food has been so light. I'm trying to not overreact but in the last three months my weight has never gone up more than .2 at a time so after 5 days of this I'm starting to worry. I'll try to ignore it a few more days but it's hard! Haha.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    My weight always goes up when I increase my daily average. It’s temporary. You’re still losing fat.
  • purple4sure05
    csplatt wrote: »
    That’s two pounds, right? I wouldn’t call that significant! I actually tried to lose a few lb under my goal because I knew that would happen on maintenance. Mathematically, it cannot be fat.

Yeah I more so meant its significant for me because my weight doesn't fluctuate as much as most people. I haven't experienced much water weight gain after high carb meals or heavy workouts with sore muscles, TOM, etc. I understand though. I can see it's common and things are different for me now with the extra 300 calories. It makes sense that my weight might go up. 5 days in a row though really threw me for a loop haha.

Thanks for the tips though everyone! I feel a little better now despite the woos for just asking questions and taking feedback 😅
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    csplatt wrote: »
    That’s two pounds, right? I wouldn’t call that significant! I actually tried to lose a few lb under my goal because I knew that would happen on maintenance. Mathematically, it cannot be fat.

Yeah I more so meant its significant for me because my weight doesn't fluctuate as much as most people. I haven't experienced much water weight gain after high carb meals or heavy workouts with sore muscles, TOM, etc. I understand though. I can see it's common and things are different for me now with the extra 300 calories. It makes sense that my weight might go up. 5 days in a row though really threw me for a loop haha.

Thanks for the tips though everyone! I feel a little better now despite the woos for just asking questions and taking feedback 😅

You barely experienced weight fluctuations? I am sure that is cheating!! :tongue:

I am glad you got your answer even if you cost you a few woos.
  • purple4sure05
    NovusDies wrote: »

You barely experienced weight fluctuations? I am sure that is cheating!! :tongue:

Maybe I'm just lucky! Before I lost weight my scale was always 157.8 to 158.3 pounds when I decided to check, and my food intake varied a LOT back then. During my weightloss the last three months it would go down .1 or .2 kg per day (new country), sometimes stay the same, and only ever went up by .1 and then back down immediately the next day. It always correlated with leg day at the gym. Only went up by .2 one time in three months haha.

• 12noe12
    12noe12 Posts: 7 Member
    Remember that for a given volume, the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

Maybe I'm just lucky! Before I lost weight my scale was always 157.8 to 158.3 pounds when I decided to check, and my food intake varied a LOT back then. During my weightloss the last three months it would go down .1 or .2 kg per day (new country), sometimes stay the same, and only ever went up by .1 and then back down immediately the next day. It always correlated with leg day at the gym. Only went up by .2 one time in three months haha.

I will hate you forever now.

But really weight fluctuations are no big deal once you tell yourself they are no big deal and watch enough of them go by. I don't love that they happen but I care a lot less now than when I started. It also helps to keep the math in your head of 3500 calories to gain or lose a pound of fat to know some of them are impossible fat-wise.