Increased cals from 1200 to 1500 and have gained significantly every day since

Options

Replies

• HotFrieZ
    HotFrieZ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree that is not a significant fluctuation. But definitely hang in there bc I’m typically 5’2 115 lbs and exercise an hour a day with one rest day and maintain easily on 2200-2300 so there’s no way you’re gaining fat on 1500. You need to give your body a chance to tolerate the increased food as your digestion has likely slowed significantly with how little you have been eating and now your system is like “how do I process this?” I personally think you should be eating at least 1700-1800 cals per day. I spent YEARS trying to eat 1200-1500, which lead to binges, and you know how much I weighed then? Around 115 lbs as well. So I’m very anti super low cal diets. At the very least I would take maintenance refeed weeks regularly so you don’t continue to destroy your metabolism.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    HotFrieZ wrote: »
    I agree that is not a significant fluctuation. But definitely hang in there bc I’m typically 5’2 115 lbs and exercise an hour a day with one rest day and maintain easily on 2200-2300 so there’s no way you’re gaining fat on 1500. You need to give your body a chance to tolerate the increased food as your digestion has likely slowed significantly with how little you have been eating and now your system is like “how do I process this?” I personally think you should be eating at least 1700-1800 cals per day. I spent YEARS trying to eat 1200-1500, which lead to binges, and you know how much I weighed then? Around 115 lbs as well. So I’m very anti super low cal diets. At the very least I would take maintenance refeed weeks regularly so you don’t continue to destroy your metabolism.

My plan was to increase to 1700 after this, so I'm on my way there :) Hopefully I'm not cursed and my maintenance calories aren't actually 1500 lol. I'm hoping to do 1500 during the week and 2100 on weekend days eventually. I thought it would work based on calculating my TDEE from intake/weight loss over the last 4 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months for reference, but now I'm feeling skeptical.
  • 12noe12
    12noe12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started training again 7 weeks ago. Obviously I'm not training as much as I did 10 years ago, but I'm trying to exercise at least 1:30 hours per day, sometimes 2, alternating between training only one sport , going to the gym and walking (What with work and college and everything else, I don't have the time or energy anymore to do everything I did when I was younger -- I'm 37 and my body knows it!). Right now I'm only doing ice hockey on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays, gym on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and whenever I finish early I walk home, and that's around a 5km walk. On Sundays I rest, although if I'm not that tired I might walk a while or go for a short run.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    There are a lot of numbers between 1200 and 1500. Pick one of them.

I'm 5 ft 6 and exercise heavily for an hour and a half 6 days a week. I'm transitioning into maintenance. According to my weight loss trends, online estimates, and common sense I shouldn't have to reduce my calories below 1500 to maintain.

I'm 5 ft 6 and exercise a lot. I opted to transition into maintenance more gradually. I went from 1250 calories a day (plus half my exercise calories, of course) to 1350 calories a day (plus half exercise calories). Then I went to 1425 calories (plus about 3/4 exercise calories). Finally several months later I reached 1500 calories.

You don't have to go with 1200 calories OR 1500 calories. There are a lot of other numbers in between you can choose.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    Still hovering around 60 kg for 7 days now. On the other hand my boyfriend who's also increased his calories and eaten way more carbs than I have had managed to drop 2kg overnight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BTW - does your chicken stock really have no sodium?
    That's seems a little surprising so might be worth checking.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    BTW - does your chicken stock really have no sodium?
    That's seems a little surprising so might be worth checking.

No it doesn't! Haha. It's really hard to find accurate entries in New Zealand. I always just compare the calories to the packaging for stuff like chicken broth or sauerkraut that I'm using that are low calorie. The main food items I eat I'm much more careful with. In the past I didnt really care about sodium but now since it could be effecting things more, its probably worth manually entering everything in if the entry in the database is incomplete
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    you can get very low sodium chicken stock, the lowest I've found is 95mg per 100grams in Australia. I'm big on not purchasing items that have added salt in. we have a lot of brands with 'no added salt' and comparing it with the oringal, its shocking how much salt is added. i would think chicken stock does have salt, but its not on the packaging.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    9m8oivpyvt9s.jpg

Okay, I'm back after 4 ish weeks! I need help analyzing these trends if someone can help me.. I get that it shows the trend going down three pounds but if you look at the numbers, I basically have bounced up and down from roughly the same low number to slightly less-high upper numbers. The first one was so high partly due to water retention in sore muscles. My low number has gone down by just over one pound. My weight always came in significantly below the trend line when I ate 1200 calories and now it's all over the place.

I should be losing a pound a week (based on three months of data before this). I was going to start upping my calories again may 1st but now I feel like I have no idea how to figure out my maintenance calories. This was supposed to help me, but I'm just confused. These trend lines dont make a lot of sense to me considering when I was losing faster for months, it was always so far below the trend.

Can anyone help me make sense of this? I've been weighing everything I eat as I always have.