If you had to be unhappy

Options
newmeadow
newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
edited April 2019 in Chit-Chat
but you had a choice: To be unhappy and married or unhappy and single, what would you choose?

I'd choose unhappy as a single.

No wiggling out of this. It's not about how to be happy or how to avoid unhappiness. Just what would you prefer as an unhappy person? Hypothetically speaking.

Replies

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    single
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    single. If im in an unhappy marriage i dont even get my own space....or options.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Unhappy and single. That way I’m not making someone else unhappy. Plus there’s so much more you can do when you’re unhappy and single compared to unhappy and married. Like if you’re unhappy and married, are you unhappy because of your partner or things that have to do with your life that would be different if you weren’t with your partner? That could all change if you were single. But unhappy and single you can find someone who makes you happy or do things that make you happy that maybe a spouse wouldn’t approve of.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    Unhappy and single, because there is a world of options... and I also don't have to put my burden of sadness on somebody else.

Same.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    Pffft..... trick question !

• newmeadow
    Options
    Lol @newmeadow I know what you're doing. You're trying to see who are the unhappy married people for ammo on a debate or something 🤣🤣🤣

You're ever so jaded my dear.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Lol @newmeadow I know what you're doing. You're trying to see who are the unhappy married people for ammo on a debate or something 🤣🤣🤣

.... but you didn't say she was wrong, right?

B)
  • newmeadow
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »

.... but you didn't say she was wrong, right?

B)

You're slipping. He's a he. But far be it from me to know what's what around here.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    Married, misery loves company :D jk

Single

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Single. I think there are more options for growth and change to move beyond the unhappiness when you're not yoked to another person who may not share your vision of the future.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Unhappy and single? Isn't that an oxymoron? I meam if I am unhappy I know what and how to do to make me happy. If I'm married and unhappy, well I'd feel extremely guilty and dishonest if I'd do what makes me happy.

But if I had to choose, single and unhappy
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,243 Member
    Options
    I have been married before I was missssssssssssserable

single
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    So all y’all can dish your own ice cream? That’s bullshrimp
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    So all y’all can dish your own ice cream? That’s bullshrimp

Or just have someone else dish it for us, but have one of those toilet seats that automatically spring back up so they know their stay isn't meant to be too far into the morning.
  • jhansonfan
    jhansonfan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Unhappy and single. I was unhappy and married and it is way worse to be lonely and be with someone than it is to be single and occasionally lonely.
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It depends on the reason for the unhappiness. Is this personal unhappiness or something else? If it's personal, then a good spouse can be an amazing help in getting through it. I'm very happily married but I still have personal problems, most of them relating to my poor health. My husband makes these feelings better, not worse.

On the other hand if the reason for a married person's unhappiness is the marriage itself, that's a different question. So the reason for the unhappiness is important.

Overall I'd much rather be unhappy and married. My spouse makes all the bad parts of life better, cause my unhappy issues have nothing to do with him or our relationship and everything to do with my crappy legs not working, lol.