Intermittent fasting, protein consumption and weight/fat loss - my share

Options
This is long so if long posts annoy you, please move on; thanks.

Today I had my second DEXA-SCAN; the first was almost three months ago on 1/16/2019. I'd like to share some of my results and hope it will be informative. If this discussion remains healthy, I'll share more but not today.

Background information: middle-aged man, now age 64, who for 22 of the last 25 years has been at his ideal weight by training hard and eating an amount that kept me in maintenance mode. I sit for a living, then and now, so I judge myself as sedentary or whatever the MFP classification is for this lowest level of activity.

Last 8/31/2018, weighing in that morning at 210.8 lbs., I began my current journey with a goal of being 180 lbs. by my 64th birthday in February 2019. I subsequently dropped that goal to 177 lbs. and achieved it. I did so my practicing intermittent fasting (IF) with an average daily fasting period of probably 18 hours, and with a weekly weight loss goal of 1.5 lbs. While I've trained with barbells in the past doing heavy lifting workouts, I no longer belong to a gym and train using kettlebells. I also do pull-ups, bar dips and other exercises providing alternative resistance training. But and this is important, I eat a lower amount of protein, choosing to dismiss the standard advice of how I should eat a "x" number of grams of protein for each lb. or kg of weight or however the standard advice is dispensed.

Comparing my two DEXA-SCAN results - 1/16/2019 and 4/10/2019 - I was pleased to learn that I lost 12.8 lbs. of weight during this period. I didn't need a DEXA-SCAN to tell me this. But what I needed it for was to tell me how much fat I lost during this period. I lost 12.3 lbs. of fat so virtually 100% of my weight loss was fat loss. I'm told this is an awesome result.

And, I did it by only eating an average of 82 grams of protein a day at an average weight of 180 lbs.

Also, for the last 35 days, I've practice OMAD, a more restrictive form of IF, fasting 22 hours a day and abstaining from meat during Lent 2019. All these are "red flags" of setting myself up for muscle loss. As you can imagine, I feel great knowing this hasn't been my case.

We get lots of standard advice about this and that related to fitness and nutrition. You know, drink 8 glasses of water, get so many grams of protein for each lb. of bodyweight, sleep so many hours a day; blah, blah, blah. While this advice is based on convincing empirical evidence, we're all different and it's important to find our unique sweet spot which may be different that the standard fare. This is what I've tried to do and will continue doing. Listening to the "experts" but going about it my way and hoping that I'll be right most of the time.

I'll have my next DEXA-SCAN in late July after I finish running a 10kg that I've signed up for as a fun runner out of retirement.

Comments welcomed and appreciated.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What was your exercise program? Was it random kettle bells or did you program something?

Overall, good results.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    What was your exercise program?

Kettlebell complexes, pull-ups and bar dips, those dreaded burpees, lot of walking during the summer months and more recently running 60 minutes once a week. My proclivity and heart rests with my kettlebell complexes using a single 24kg KB and a pair of 20kg KB.

My training is intuitive, I don't follow a program but pay attention to how my body is feeling. The common theme of my training though is intensity and time spent in the anaerobic training zone.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    Well since further weight loss isn’t a goal and my training is not typical muscle-building, I agree with your comment. Both scans were done in fasted state, trying my best to minimize those considerations you describe.

Measurements aren’t always as precise as we might believe. Something to be said for the old-fashion tape measure.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well since further weight loss isn’t a goal and my training is not typical muscle-building, I agree with your comment. Both scans were done in fasted state, trying my best to minimize those considerations you describe.

Measurements aren’t always as precise as we might believe. Something to be said for the old-fashion tape measure.

It still would be interesting to see if your measurements (scans) change over time.

Also, regarding of being in fasted state, if you had more carb heavy meals prior to loads, glycogen would be more replenished showing more lean body mass. So that question would be, how carb heavy where you prior to your first and second scans.

It's actually interesting. Some of the evidence on training regarding low carb vs low fat diets have been quickly discredited based researchers carb refeeding prior to the second scans. It's because even DEXA estimates muscle vs FFM.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    Yes I do expect my measurements to change over time. Do I plan on changing how I eat or train? Nope. The standard prescription for protein consumption doesn't work for me and my results suggest it isn't necessary. I have no goals to train my body to look like a Greek Adonis. More interested in improving my cardiovascular conditioning and time it takes to complete certain kettlebell complex workouts, single set maximum reps doing pull-ups and bar dips, and time it takes to bang out 100 burpees. This is my training personality. Hypertrophy training isn't. I've done the heavier barbell lifting including Olympic lifts during Lent 2009, the last time I had an IF "science experiment". I think I was stronger then because of my training but at age 64, I don't need much training to be in the top 10 percent of my age class.

Some other information from yesterday's DEXA-SCAN:

(1) Android/Gynoid Ratio - went from 1.1 on 1//16/2019 to 0.87 on 4/10/2019.

(2) My RMR calculated at 1,644 calories a day - MFP calculates 1,585 so close.

(3) Lean mass in my right arm decreased by 0.2 lbs while my left arm increased 0.1 lbs. Since I'm right-handed, I find this interesting. Meanwhile, fat lbs. decreased 0.4 lbs. right and 0.7 lbs. left.

(4) Lean mass in my right leg increased by 0.1 lbs. while my left leg decreased by 0.2 lbs. Fat lbs. decreased 1.2 lbs. right and 1.2 lbs. left.

(5) There was no change in the lean mass of my trunk but fat lbs. decreased 8.9 lbs. This was the jewel stat of all.

(6) Android lean mass increased by 0.2 lbs while fat decreased 1.9 lbs.

(7) Gynoid lean mass decreased by 0.1 lbs while fat decreased 1.7 lbs.

(8) Overall, lean mass decreased by 0.4 lbs.

Note that both times tests were done in fasted state with, to the best of my recollection, comparable hydration levels. Don't have the time or desire to provide more details about food consumption other than day before consumption was 1,887 calories on 1/15/2019 (68% carbs) compared to 1,790 calories on 4/9/2019 (54% carbs). I consumed 60 grams of protein on 1/15/2019 compared to 82 grams on 4/9/2019. Note that 4/9/2019 calories were unusually low. I'm working long hours now, didn't train that day and just wasn't as hungry, so I ate less.

I'm an analytical due so find this information fascinating. What a well-spent $49. Again, the take-away for me is that I don't need the amount of protein that's constantly being advised here and at other fitness discussion forums. It's advice that's bodybuilder-oriented and most people here trying to lose weight don't fit this profile. They're just average Joe Blow and Jane Blow characters like me. I read many sharing how they're struggling to get their macros and protein in and honestly, it's needless worry about nothing in my opinion. I hope some of them read my sharing and take note, then seek to discover their own unique sweet spots.

Another long rambling but this is me, your mileage may vary.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    @pierinifitness I'm grateful to you for sharing these details and insights. Sure, it's n=1, but I find it compelling enough to give me pause when considering the typical advice regarding protein intake. I struggle to meet my MFP-prescribed protein goal daily, and it does trigger some anxiety over the potential of dreaded muscle loss. Yet I'm a "Jane Blow" with no intention of becoming a fitness model/bodybuilder. Again, thanks for explaining your process and results so fully.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you were abstaining from meat, what were your main sources of protein? It's a more personal curiosity, if you found yourself getting a lot from eggs/dairy or if non-animal sources were also a significant source.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @janejellyroll, I do eat eggs, not daily. I'd have to study my journals to provide more detail and unfortunately I'm very busy with work and don't have the time. If I can remember, big if, I'll try and follow up.

@erickirb, fair question. Of course, one can always do better and what's better varies from person to person. I shared my goals and what's important to me - light, lean and strong and it's a work in process. I believe in chasing athleticism as evidence by performance improvements in my unique benchmarks. I believe if you chase athleticism that body appearance improvements will tag along for the ride if training properly.

I'm more interesting in banging out 12 to 15 pull-ups in a single set than bench pressing 300 lbs. I'm not interested in big arms or a big chest, now a strong and powerful posterior chain is of interest to me. Again, I'm a 64 year old dude so my goals are much different than yours. Enjoy your youth and thanks for asking.
  • pierinifitness
    edited April 2019
    Options
    And, I might add, just because I don't belong to a gym or do barbell training doesn't mean I'm swinging little pink dumbbells either. The kettlebell stuff I do is definitely demanding and strength endurance. I'm not beastly but do some decent stuff for an older turd.

There's no doubt in my mind this contributed to my results.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    @Dgil1975 I generally get between 50-60 a day, so that's great to hear. Some calculations put me at a goal of 90 or so grams, which I kept trying to meet with protein shakes at the end of the day, even if I wasn't hungry. It wasn't sustainable for me, and didn't feel right intuitively, especially since I'm fairly sedentary. Thanks for your input.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    @Dgil1975 I generally get between 50-60 a day, so that's great to hear. Some calculations put me at a goal of 90 or so grams, which I kept trying to meet with protein shakes at the end of the day, even if I wasn't hungry. It wasn't sustainable for me, and didn't feel right intuitively, especially since I'm fairly sedentary. Thanks for your input.
    Not a problem Hilogirl, glad you found the information useful.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    DEXA scans are low-dose full body radiation, so I would caution against getting too many of them in a short period of time.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/cancer/radiation-risk-from-medical-imaging

Bone density test would be your DEXA scan, thought from what I understand the whole body DEXA for fat levels is done at a slightly lower intensity than when the same machine does a bone scan.

That said, any avoidable risk can be avoided!
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    9r08jsk2tdeq.jpeg