I know weight loss isn't linear but commiserate with me.

Options
BattyKnitter
BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
edited April 2019 in Motivation and Support
I haven't lost weight in 2 weeks. I know, I KNOW 2 weeks is nothing, that it's water weight fluctuations/non-linear loss/I'm PMS'ing/I just started running/and also I often don't lose weight for 2 weeks then get a whoosh of 2 pounds, I know I am weighing and logging EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth and I am as accurate as possible, BUT EVERY time I get scared that all that hard work creating a deficit was for nothing!

I know I'm not alone, share your woes about fluctuations and non-linear weight loss!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    When I was still 30 pounds from Goal I accidentally spilled a pitcher of water on my body weight scale and it died.

Best thing ever. Jus' sayin'.

You look fantastic, keepa go.
  • BattyKnitter
    Options
    When I was still 30 pounds from Goal I accidentally spilled a pitcher of water on my body weight scale and it died.

Thank you!
    See not having a scale then I would obsess about not knowing, not knowing things drive me crazy! Give me more data and it calms my mind!

This is more of a I know, but I'm still gonna complain thread ;)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Looks like you’ve done very well. Remind yourself losses often slow as we get closer to goal. Particularly if we are trying to combine weight loss with body recomp and a high level of fitness.

But maybe this- can you get to a place where you aren’t working quite so hard? A hard work maintainence program will likely wear on you eventually. It’s always 2 parts- what we do lose and how we live to do it. Can you live like you’re living long term?

And this- our brains never shut up and the old negativity will keep coming back if you don’t keep your guard up. Look at your post. On one level you know 2 weeks is not a trend, but your brain is nagging at you just the same. Keep working your program. If you stay where you are for say 6 weeks, make a couple of small adjustments. Keep testing and adjusting. Don’t let your brain trick you into anything extreme. Look how far you’ve come. Don’t lose sight of the big picture.

A friend says- We eventually get the weigh in we deserve but not necessarily when we expect it.
  • LEdmonds2016
    LEdmonds2016 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Thank you!
    See not having a scale then I would obsess about not knowing, not knowing things drive me crazy! Give me more data and it calms my mind!

I'm the same way. I get on the scale and see the fluctuations and just about have a heart attack each time. However, I HAVE to know what that scale says every morning!

Stupid scale and non-linear weight loss!!
  • BattyKnitter
    edited April 2019
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Looks like you’ve done very well. Remind yourself losses often slow as we get closer to goal. Particularly if we are trying to combine weight loss with body recomp and a high level of fitness.

But maybe this- can you get to a place where you aren’t working quite so hard? A hard work maintainence program will likely wear on you eventually. It’s always 2 parts- what we do lose and how we live to do it. Can you live like you’re living long term?

And this- our brains never shut up and the old negativity will keep coming back if you don’t keep your guard up. Look at your post. On one level you know 2 weeks is not a trend, but your brain is nagging at you just the same. Keep working your program. If you stay where you are for say 6 weeks, make a couple of small adjustments. Keep testing and adjusting. Don’t let your brain trick you into anything extreme. Look how far you’ve come. Don’t lose sight of the big picture.

A friend says- We eventually get the weigh in we deserve but not necessarily when we expect it.

I'm not usually to annoyed with fluctuations, I use a weight trending app and tend to look at the trend instead but once in a while my brain gets annoying! Thanks for the support guys!

I'm not overly concerned or anything and for sure I will keep going! If anything I am really enjoying my increased cardio capacity and my increased strength from weight lifting!

I say working hard but it's not overworking for sure! The deficit is the hardest part and I do plan a diet break in a month or 2. My workout routine is not too much either it is something I can easily see myself maintaining, I just do a bit more cardio than I will in maintenance
  • BattyKnitter
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Yes! Especially when you think you're about to hit a new number that ends with zero, but then NOOOOOO, the scale jumps back up for like 6 days. Jerk. (the scale, not you :) )

Stick with it and eventually the scale will have no choice but to yield to your efforts.

Yes! I'm SO close to a new low I can taste it but the scale is being a tease!
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to the frustration! I am 1/2 lb from being below 170 and I just want to be out of the 170's NOW! And yesterday I ran 5k in 35 minutes, this morning I barely got 3 miles in 40 minutes, WTF! I'm gonna keep on keeping on but sometimes patience is hard to practice.
  • amaterasuthird
    amaterasuthird Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost weight in 2 weeks. I know, I KNOW 2 weeks is nothing, that it's water weight fluctuations/non-linear loss/I'm PMS'ing/I just started running/and also I often don't lose weight for 2 weeks then get a whoosh of 2 pounds, I know I am weighing and logging EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth and I am as accurate as possible, BUT EVERY time I get scared that all that hard work creating a deficit was for nothing!

I know I'm not alone, share your woes about fluctuations and non-linear weight loss!

it could literally be a million things. you could be putting on muscle as you're losing the weight at the same rate. are you doing any thing with weights? try not to lose heart. just because it seems like you've plateaued doesn't actually mean you have.
  • debraah66
    debraah66 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Thank you!

I'm the same way. I get on the scale and see the fluctuations and just about have a heart attack each time. However, I HAVE to know what that scale says every morning!

Stupid scale and non-linear weight loss!!

I'm exactly the same way. I need to weigh every day. Right now my weight is two pounds up but hopefully that will come down soon.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. Then 4 lbs will come off all at once.
  • BattyKnitter
    edited April 2019
    Options

it could literally be a million things. you could be putting on muscle as you're losing the weight at the same rate. are you doing any thing with weights? try not to lose heart. just because it seems like you've plateaued doesn't actually mean you have.

Hence why I listed the million reason I'm sure are responsible ;) I am PMS'ing and just started running, I know those 2 are responsible, just felt like complaining :)

I've been weight lifting for a year now there is NO way I'm gaining muscle as fast as I am losing fat, never mind the fact that I am at a deficit, women just don't gain muscle that fast for that long especially after the newbie gains stage.

Thank you for being supportive, I am not giving up!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I started logging religiously on Feb 23. For the first 4 weeks I saw NO progress on the scale. I was so frustrated. But I knew that I was making changes for a lot of reasons other than weight loss, and that I just needed to keep going. I finally got the whoosh last week. So in total i'm down almost 10 lbs since 2/23 but for the first 4 weeks i saw the same number but clearly there was just invisible progress lol
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Sigh. Last week I was 1.8 (ish) pounds from my goal weight. I overdid it at the gym on Monday, and now my knee is swollen (it’s a chronic problem -stupid knee). The scale rewarded me by jumping up THREE pounds and it has held there all week. ☹️ I KNOW it’s impossible for me to have gained that much weight, but come on! Also pretty sure that my knee doesn’t have three pounds of swelling... BooHoo to me.

I sometimes have no loss at all for three weeks and get a huge whoosh over 48 hours. I know this, but the weeks of nothing happening are frustrating anyway.

I’ve been at this weight and calorie tracking for years, and I still don’t have the mental part down. Waiting for my whoosh...
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I have been here long enough to know that it is normal and go through the whole list of reasons like you did but that doesn't stop the frustration or potential anxiety. I was doing really well in January with logging everything and staying within my calorie deficit. But due to so many things including restarting weight lifting after a long hiatus, I was retaining water and didn't lose weight for the whole month. It was driving me nuts. Those pounds finally came off on the scale at the beginning of February in a whoosh.

BTW, I love your username!
  • BattyKnitter
    Options
    rosiorama wrote: »
    Sigh. Last week I was 1.8 (ish) pounds from my goal weight. I overdid it at the gym on Monday, and now my knee is swollen (it’s a chronic problem -stupid knee). The scale rewarded me by jumping up THREE pounds and it has held there all week. ☹️ I KNOW it’s impossible for me to have gained that much weight, but come on! Also pretty sure that my knee doesn’t have three pounds of swelling... BooHoo to me.

I sometimes have no loss at all for three weeks and get a huge whoosh over 48 hours. I know this, but the weeks of nothing happening are frustrating anyway.

I’ve been at this weight and calorie tracking for years, and I still don’t have the mental part down. Waiting for my whoosh...

YES this is exactly how I feel, 1.3 years at it and the mental part is still difficult sometimes!
  • BattyKnitter
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I feel you! I have been here long enough to know that it is normal and go through the whole list of reasons like you did but that doesn't stop the frustration or potential anxiety. I was doing really well in January with logging everything and staying within my calorie deficit. But due to so many things including restarting weight lifting after a long hiatus, I was retaining water and didn't lose weight for the whole month. It was driving me nuts. Those pounds finally came off on the scale at the beginning of February in a whoosh.

BTW, I love your username!

Yep whenever I start a new fitness thing I always retain water forever!

Thanks for the love of my username!
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I really feel your pain. I had a great January and February then March hit and my weight stalled for the entire month!!! But I knew that I was working the plan and that the plan would work.

April showed up and so far 3 pounds have come off.

Hang in there. 🙂