I know weight loss isn't linear but commiserate with me.

Options

Replies

• dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I do all the right things. I watch all the numbers. I know what's supposed to happen and I know the SINGLE WEEK that my body likes to lose weight.

Still though, when I enter the week of the water weight dance, the merry go round of up/down the same weight, I want to shake a fist and demand control. Data soothes my logical little mind, but that doesn't stop the feels from creeping up. From standing on the scale wondering if I'm entering "magic week" yet or not.

I don't really get bothered by fluctuations -- not enough to derail me. I know the process. I know the system. I know what to do. I have a trending app and excel sheets of data. I got back through all my historical data to see how I compare between now and 7 years ago, 4 years ago, last year.

But I'm also human and those moments when I'm dancing the water dance, I have a weakness and shake my fist to the sky. "C'mon body!! Obey me for ONCE!" It never does and I always trudge onward because the data's sound and I got this. XD

So do you!

#commiserate
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I do all the right things. I watch all the numbers. I know what's supposed to happen and I know the SINGLE WEEK that my body likes to lose weight.

Still though, when I enter the week of the water weight dance, the merry go round of up/down the same weight, I want to shake a fist and demand control. Data soothes my logical little mind, but that doesn't stop the feels from creeping up. From standing on the scale wondering if I'm entering "magic week" yet or not.

I don't really get bothered by fluctuations -- not enough to derail me. I know the process. I know the system. I know what to do. I have a trending app and excel sheets of data. I got back through all my historical data to see how I compare between now and 7 years ago, 4 years ago, last year.

But I'm also human and those moments when I'm dancing the water dance, I have a weakness and shake my fist to the sky. "C'mon body!! Obey me for ONCE!" It never does and I always trudge onward because the data's sound and I got this. XD

So do you!

#commiserate

Are you me? LOL I could have written everything you just wrote! I too have spreadsheets of data :lol: We DO have got this!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options

So do you!

#commiserate

Are you me? LOL I could have written everything you just wrote! I too have spreadsheets of data :lol: We DO have got this!

Haha!! I swear, if I DIDN'T have all my data, I think I would be a mess. Knowing what my body is doing and that it's following a trend and can compare to back historical data... well. I could go on. *fist-bump for like minded-ness!*

We'll get this. And our data will rejoice! :smiley:
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I get super annoyed with fluctuations.... I eat next to nothing and run for a week and lose a pound. Eat a cheeseburger and the scale goes up 3. I know it isn't a "real" gain but I am always like "REALLY???"
  • BattyKnitter
    Options
    Still hovering around 148-149, saw a quick glimpse of 147 but that didn't last. I'm worried my Fitbit is overestimating my calorie burn, but overestimating by over 500 calories seems like a lot!

I also can't face lowering my calories right now as I am already hungry most of the time. A diet break scares me too much, if my Fitbit is overestimating and I increase my calories by 500 then I'll gain :/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For several posters here sounding like the adage lower is better is true - you can eat low enough to stress your body and cortisol based water weight will be gained.

Been shown 20 lbs can slowly rack up that way.

How stressed are you going to keep getting with potentially masking fat loss with water weight gain for 20 weeks say?
    That shows up as almost consistent scale with with small variations up/down but no real loss.

Now - if the body is really that stressed by the amount of deficit you are taking - you are doing it wrong likely.
    Less deficit, or even better a diet break for couple weeks - will likely cause a water-whoosh and weight loss.

Only kicker is if eating that low and body stressed, it's also usually done some adapting by slowing you down - so the deficit isn't as great anymore as you think because you are burning less daily.
    So amount of increase to take a break isn't as great as you'd think.

@BattyKnitter - I'd agree 500 seems way off.

Unless you have a lot of steps daily.
    In which case if your stride length setting is off, and Fitbit thinks you are doing more distance (because that and time and mass = calorie burn, not just steps) than reality - you could be getting extra calories.

Or if workouts are a few specific types known for inflated calorie burn best manually logged, but even that wouldn't amount to 500.

Could be combo, and the potential that your BMR is 5% off calculated, but that again is small number.

Or food logging is off by decent amount.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    This is why a weight trending app like Libra helps keep my sanity sometimes. I haven't lost any weight so far in April, but still, my trend has dropped 1.6 pounds this month. So even though I'm not hitting a new low, in one way of measuring, I'm still making progress.

But I feel you. We all can get caught up in the scale and fluctuations sometimes. I've worked my butt off this month harder than any other. It would be nice if my results reflected that. I know they will eventually. But I want it now.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was doing so well the last 5 weeks, then today I got on the scale and I'm moving in the wrong direction. I had decided to only weigh myself 1x/week so I don't micro focus on the number but I couldn't help myself and I got on the scale midweek. Now easter is coming and I wanted a cheat day. I need to get myself back on track I'm going to have to eat salad for dinner starting tomorrow but I doubt even that will help. It does get to me but I like coming on the website and at least reading from others who have the same/similar issues. I don't feel so alone about it.
  • BattyKnitter
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    This is why a weight trending app like Libra helps keep my sanity sometimes. I haven't lost any weight so far in April, but still, my trend has dropped 1.6 pounds this month. So even though I'm not hitting a new low, in one way of measuring, I'm still making progress.

But I feel you. We all can get caught up in the scale and fluctuations sometimes. I've worked my butt off this month harder than any other. It would be nice if my results reflected that. I know they will eventually. But I want it now.

Oh yes the only reason I don't completely lose my mind is because of my weight trending app LOL!
  • BattyKnitter
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    For several posters here sounding like the adage lower is better is true - you can eat low enough to stress your body and cortisol based water weight will be gained.

How stressed are you going to keep getting with potentially masking fat loss with water weight gain for 20 weeks say?
    That shows up as almost consistent scale with with small variations up/down but no real loss.

Now - if the body is really that stressed by the amount of deficit you are taking - you are doing it wrong likely.
    Less deficit, or even better a diet break for couple weeks - will likely cause a water-whoosh and weight loss.

Only kicker is if eating that low and body stressed, it's also usually done some adapting by slowing you down - so the deficit isn't as great anymore as you think because you are burning less daily.

In which case if your stride length setting is off, and Fitbit thinks you are doing more distance (because that and time and mass = calorie burn, not just steps) than reality - you could be getting extra calories.

Or if workouts are a few specific types known for inflated calorie burn best manually logged, but even that wouldn't amount to 500.

Could be combo, and the potential that your BMR is 5% off calculated, but that again is small number.

I think it's really just all in my head and that I am progressing fine and it will eventually be reflected on the scale, but I need to vent sometimes!

I do make sure to lower my calories on MFP every 5lbs loss or so, I still have 35% BF so I don't think it's yet time to reduce my deficit.

The 500 I was referring to is my deficit, I meant that looking back at my progress in the past year I highly doubt that my Fitbit is overestimating my burn by 500 cals thus wiping out my deficit completely. I get over 10k steps a day plus workout 6 days a week weightlifting and running, so I am active enough to get the daily 1900-2300 burn that Fitbit is giving me, it's just showing how the mind messes with us and makes us doubt the process that has worked in the past.
  • heybales
    Options

I think it's really just all in my head and that I am progressing fine and it will eventually be reflected on the scale, but I need to vent sometimes!

I do make sure to lower my calories on MFP every 5lbs loss or so, I still have 35% BF so I don't think it's yet time to reduce my deficit.

The 500 I was referring to is my deficit, I meant that looking back at my progress in the past year I highly doubt that my Fitbit is overestimating my burn by 500 cals thus wiping out my deficit completely. I get over 10k steps a day plus workout 6 days a week weightlifting and running, so I am active enough to get the daily 1900-2300 burn that Fitbit is giving me, it's just showing how the mind messes with us and makes us doubt the process that has worked in the past.

Likely not wipe out the 500 deficit - but depending on inaccuracy of distance calculated - could be big chunk of it.

10K steps is a lot - what kind of daily distance does that end up being reported as?

Have you ever walked a known distance at avg daily pace and confirmed it's correct? Not grocery store shuffle, not exercise pace, in the middle. Will seem slow, but that allow Fitbit to dynamically adjust it's calc's up or down in the range better.
    With better distance comes better calorie estimates.
  • BattyKnitter
    Options

Likely not wipe out the 500 deficit - but depending on inaccuracy of distance calculated - could be big chunk of it.

10K steps is a lot - what kind of daily distance does that end up being reported as?

Have you ever walked a known distance at avg daily pace and confirmed it's correct? Not grocery store shuffle, not exercise pace, in the middle. Will seem slow, but that allow Fitbit to dynamically adjust it's calc's up or down in the range better.

It's usually about 7 to 9 km on days I don't run. I walk around the office a lot, walk to the bus stop (10 min.) and walk 1 hour a day on the treadmill at work. I did calibrate my Fitbit a while back but maybe I need to do it again. Also I'm short (5'2") and take more steps per distance than average/taller people.
  • BattyKnitter
    edited April 2019
    Options
    In case anyone is curious

qqs3n2rewt6a.png
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    This makes my data analyst heart happy. I did something similar for while to determine the accuracy of my smart watch for calorie burn as well as my input for calories in. I didn't track steps but I did have a column for weekly projected weight loss. I feel like about every 2 weeks I would get a whoosh where I lost about my projected amount.
  • heybales
    edited April 2019
    Options

It's usually about 7 to 9 km on days I don't run. I walk around the office a lot, walk to the bus stop (10 min.) and walk 1 hour a day on the treadmill at work. I did calibrate my Fitbit a while back but maybe I need to do it again. Also I'm short (5'2") and take more steps per distance than average/taller people.

Good reason for always manually correcting the default stride length based on height & gender.

Short or long legs compared to avg for your height.

Plus I've never seen those formulas take into account that when overweight usually smaller strides, which gets longer as weight is lost.

I've also seen most calibrate at like exercise pace - while that is only a small % of the daily time/steps done, it causes inflated distance/calories when the majority of smaller daily steps is done.

ETA - also super chart record keeping.
  • BattyKnitter
    edited April 2019
    Options
    This makes my data analyst heart happy. I did something similar for while to determine the accuracy of my smart watch for calorie burn as well as my input for calories in. I didn't track steps but I did have a column for weekly projected weight loss. I feel like about every 2 weeks I would get a whoosh where I lost about my projected amount.

Yes I started this spreadsheet on Feb 28, also to help determine the accuracy of my Fitbit, and it has helped ease my mind but as you can see from this thread I still panic!! I have a few other columns including projected weight loss, if that lone little 147 from today sticks around I'll be right on track with my projected loss, only time will tell!

This is the info that auto calculates that is also included in my spreadsheet, plus weekly deficits LOL

Total Deficit to date: 24,027
    Deficit divided by 3,500: 6.864857143
    Total Weight lost:6.8

Starting Weight:153.8
    Current Weight:147

• BattyKnitter
    Options

Good reason for always manually correcting the default stride length based on height & gender.

Short or long legs compared to avg for your height.

Plus I've never seen those formulas take into account that when overweight usually smaller strides, which gets longer as weight is lost.

I've also seen most calibrate at like exercise pace - while that is only a small % of the daily time/steps done, it causes inflated distance/calories when the majority of smaller daily steps is done.

ETA - also super chart record keeping.

Thanks for the help, I will look into recalibrating my Fitbit this weekend and see if that makes a change.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    In case anyone is curious

qqs3n2rewt6a.png

On the face of it, those fitbit burns do seem quite high, based on the step count, but I wouldn't guess 500 off, but could easily be 100-300 off

Does your fitbit calculate cals other than just from steps? As looking at a few days compared to days you don't get many steps, you seem to be credited with a lot of cals/step, about 1.25-1.5 times what I do, on my smart watch, and I weight 160 lbs.

You can look at your acutal loss, if you think your intake is accurate, and work backwords to what you actually burned... in other words if you averaged 0.5 lbs/week for 4 weeks, you know your average deficit was 250, then compare that to what the Fitbit average deficit says, then you cans assume your Fitbit overestimates your burn by that difference.

If your Fitbit says your deficit averaged 400, then you can assume it is off by 150 cals/day on average, make the adjustment from there and go forward with that assumption
  • lawsonsaysread
    lawsonsaysread Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Weight in sustainment isn't linear, either :wink: tucctdrjqj6w.png

I wish this weren't true, but it really, really is an accurate depiction.
  • BattyKnitter
    Options
    Those calorie burns do include exercise as well. Before April 6 I was working out 4 days a week weight lifting and a bit of HIIT eah session this burns about 150 cals per 45 min session. Since April 6 I do the same as before plus I started a C25K program so I jog Sat, Mon, Wed where I get around 6000 steps and a bit less than a 400 calorie burn. Also Mon-Fri I walk on the treadmill workstation at work for an hour at a moderate pace, about 5-6000 steps and 300 calorie burn.