Options
2»

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i mean it seems a little childish to offer and then be upset by paying, But i do get it. I always offer to pay/split it makes me uncomfortable when people buy me things (especially when i know i wont see them again, It makes some weird expectation bubble around everything. )

I was once told by my friends mom men pay because men (its half joke dont get offended men-or women lol) Often literally buy shampoo/conditioner/body wash as an all in one single item, Tend to make more, Tend to get promoted more etc. Men also get ready much quicker in general. And women go out and buy makeup and do their hair and razors get gauged on all the expensive and timely womanly things they do for dates to look good for the man, So least he can do is buy me dinner lol.

Not sure i believe in that really but it did sort of make me realize why it happens lol. Mentally men paying overall is just a sign they can provide for you which independent woman or not feels good. I can see where it comes from, And everyone likes free.

Edit to add: While i do get it, I cant imagine ever having the expectation the man HAS to pay....I dont understand that mindset :/ I wish i did my life would be easier

This is me and I was able to retire in my early 30's by all the money I saved on a once every 3 month purchase by this clever life hack.

LOL i go through a bottle of conditioner in about 3 weeks because i have long hair, So point proven more :p My boyfriend does the 3 in 1 thing xD Takes forever to go through it
  • NotSo_LittleRichard
    NotSo_LittleRichard Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    i mean it seems a little childish to offer and then be upset by paying, But i do get it. I always offer to pay/split it makes me uncomfortable when people buy me things (especially when i know i wont see them again, It makes some weird expectation bubble around everything. )

I was once told by my friends mom men pay because men (its half joke dont get offended men-or women lol) Often literally buy shampoo/conditioner/body wash as an all in one single item, Tend to make more, Tend to get promoted more etc. Men also get ready much quicker in general. And women go out and buy makeup and do their hair and razors get gauged on all the expensive and timely womanly things they do for dates to look good for the man, So least he can do is buy me dinner lol.

Not sure i believe in that really but it did sort of make me realize why it happens lol. Mentally men paying overall is just a sign they can provide for you which independent woman or not feels good. I can see where it comes from, And everyone likes free.

Edit to add: While i do get it, I cant imagine ever having the expectation the man HAS to pay....I dont understand that mindset :/ I wish i did my life would be easier

This is me and I was able to retire in my early 30's by all the money I saved on a once every 3 month purchase by this clever life hack.

LOL i go through a bottle of conditioner in about 3 weeks because i have long hair, So point proven more :p My boyfriend does the 3 in 1 thing xD Takes forever to go through it

I did read your original (before editing) and you had a very valid point. Women certainly do spend a lot more money to prepare for dating and it is the least a guy can do to pay for the date and show them that they appreciate the effort.

ETA: For the record I only use a 2 in 1. My body wash is separate. But I don't shower daily so it last much longer than 3 months.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »

I did read your original (before editing) and you had a very valid point. Women certainly do spend a lot more money to prepare for dating and it is the least a guy can do to pay for the date and show them that they appreciate the effort.

ETA: For the record I only use a 2 in 1. My body wash is separate. But I don't shower daily so it last much longer than 3 months.

@caco_ethes I think I found someone for you.

Yeah but he uses a two-in-one. I mean sheesh, i have standards. Somewhere
  • caco_ethes
    Options

So how would a guy feel if i just ask him to pay for my makeup and I’ll split the meal with him? Asking for me
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

So how would a guy feel if i just ask him to pay for my makeup and I’ll split the meal with him? Asking for me

I would take that in a heartbeat because you don't wear makeup.
  • NotSo_LittleRichard
    NotSo_LittleRichard Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

It would be totally worth. I pay for the makeup and the meal to see this.

Cool-Halloween-makeup-clown-makeup-for-women-DIY-halloween-costume.jpg
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm always prepared to pay but I do prefer if the man pays on the first date (at a minimum). It's actually a huge turn-off if he hesitates to pick up the check from the server. If there are subsequent dates I will make the gesture and don't mind paying but I won't insist as to not offend. I must say he'll score more points if he doesn't allow me to pay but I certainly don't mind. I've had this conversation with a couple of guys I dated and I found it helpful. It sort of clears the air and makes it more comfortable. Never on the first date though, I assume he'll pay if he's a gentleman, the conversation should come after a few dates. I'll also add that I tend to be considerate and won't get the most expensive thing on the menu if I know he's paying.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »

I would take that in a heartbeat because you don't wear makeup.

I’d start if someone else was paying
  • caco_ethes
    Options

It would be totally worth. I pay for the makeup and the meal to see this.

Cool-Halloween-makeup-clown-makeup-for-women-DIY-halloween-costume.jpg

Almost identical to the pic i sent some friends after putting makeup on for the first time in a year 😬
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm always prepared to pay but I do prefer if the man pays on the first date (at a minimum). It's actually a huge turn-off if he hesitates to pick up the check from the server. If there are subsequent dates I will make the gesture and don't mind paying but I won't insist as to not offend. I must say he'll score more points if he doesn't allow me to pay but I certainly don't mind. I've had this conversation with a couple of guys I dated and I found it helpful. It sort of clears the air and makes it more comfortable. Never on the first date though, I assume he'll pay if he's a gentleman, the conversation should come after a few dates. I'll also add that I tend to be considerate and won't get the most expensive thing on the menu if I know he's paying.

Are you free tomorrow night? I know this lovely new Golden Corral that just opened up and I'd love to take you there. I'll pay for the meal if you take care of the tip.

Just the tip?
  • powerplaymsu
    powerplaymsu Posts: 131 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I always pay. Every time. Letting the server know from the start where the check goes.

EDIT: Is this old fashioned? It's nice when she offers but I always politely decline.
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

Are you free tomorrow night? I know this lovely new Golden Corral that just opened up and I'd love to take you there. I'll pay for the meal if you take care of the tip.

So Golden Corral doesn't sell booze but make it at least an Olive Garden and I'll take care of the tip fosho!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i always offer to pay my portion and TBH wouldn't be offended if he (or she) took me up on it - why offer something you don't really want to do
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I guess I offer because it’s the polite thing to do.

Only if you were the one who extended the invite. If he asked you, it's odd that you'd offer.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Probably a not so popular opinion ...

I don't practice chivalry; as I consider it outdated and sexist, and dates back to when men were the "bread winners". I just do nice things for people, regardless of their gender. Life is partnerships, not ownerships. That's not to say I won't pick up the tab if I enjoyed my time.

But if you expect it, you probably won't get it.

If I was on that date with you and you offered to pay, I would counter-offer to split, or just go dutch, but I wouldn't expect you to pick up the entire tab.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I usually just take the tab and pay it. I can't imagine a scenario where a first date would last longer than 90 minutes and a round of drinks, so it's just not a hill to die on. Just pay the nice waitress and move on with life. I do make sure to bring cash, though in case one needs to make a hasty exit. Like the time a guy "forgot" to mention he had 6 kids--didn't even finish my beer that day, just threw a $20 and RAN!

That being said, I assume that the person who issues the invitation will pick up the tab. I just don't count on it, lol.