Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Yep like others said, salads at a fast food restaurant are usually just as bad calorie wise as the regular menu items see for yourself http://www1.mcdonalds.ca/NutritionCalculator/NutritionFactsEN.pdf

It's okay to indulge once in a while but consider this. Feeding your kids McDonalds food should be very low on your list. It's not just about calories, but most fast food contains vast amounts of sugar (soft drinks) sodium and fat which are seriously bad for kids. It's also highly addictive...sodium can be just as bad as sugar.

I never understood the highly addictive stuff. I used to smoke and I know what addictive feels like. I eat McDonald's maybe once every 3 or 4 months and don't feel a push to have it again for a few months. If you mean habit-forming, well, everything can be habit-forming if you make a habit of it. McDonald's is not special in that regard.

Yeah, agreed. We'd have McD's or other fast food as an occasional treat when I was a kid, and back then we'd get a small soda and small burger and small fries (this was pre Happy Meal, I think), and I never really drank soda at any other time and don't even like fast food or sugary soda now. So hardly created some kind of addiction.

I think these days they tend to have other choices besides soda for kids also (and adults often get diet). Fast food = sugar has always seemed odd to me, as it's hardly required that one get sugary soda and it's not like soda isn't often consumed elsewhere by those who want it. I would limit soda for a kid (like when I was a kid), but once in a while is no biggy, IMO.

I think sometimes people who, for whatever reason, had bad habits where they ate fast food a bunch when not watching their diets can't imagine the possibility that others would eat it just occasionally with no ill effects.

For OP, I also prefer not to waste cals on fast food fries, as I don't think they are worth the cals. If forced to get fast food I'd probably just have a burger and then more veg/big homemade salad at other meals since the salads aren't appealing to me, but if you like the salad sounds like a reasonable choice. Even if eventually you will choose to have the fries occasionally (I have fries occasionally when they are IMO really good fries), I totally get wanting to take a break for a period of time to form new habits if they were traditionally a hard food for you to control.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I can't help it. This thread makes me think of George Costanza fishing an eclair out of his girlfriend's mom's garbage can.

Seinfeld aside, you do what you have to do to succeed!! I took half a pizza to a public dumpster in full view from the street so I couldn't dive in and grab it out again. No shame. I know myself and it sounds like you know yourself too, so good on you!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I can't help it. This thread makes me think of George Costanza fishing an eclair out of his girlfriend's mom's garbage can.

Seinfeld aside, you do what you have to do to succeed!! I took half a pizza to a public dumpster in full view from the street so I couldn't dive in and grab it out again. No shame. I know myself and it sounds like you know yourself too, so good on you!

I'm also reminded of a SATC episode where Miranda gets a cake out of the garbage and calls Carrie and says "I fell that you need to know your good friend Miranda Hobbes has just taken a piece of cake out of the garbage and eaten it."
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

I'm also reminded of a SATC episode where Miranda gets a cake out of the garbage and calls Carrie and says "I fell that you need to know your good friend Miranda Hobbes has just taken a piece of cake out of the garbage and eaten it."

Must have been some damn good cake. LOL. That would not be me, and I love cake!
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You have to do what is best for you. If throwing out fries gets you to your goal, then that's what has to be done. Maybe next time suggest hubby gets a small order of them, or maybe skip it altogether. I go through something similar with my grandmother- with good intentions she brings me home a sandwich from the drive-thru as a treat. I tell her thank you for thinking of me, but I can't eat this right now so I'll put it in the freezer for "later". She usually ends up eating it, so no harm no foul. But I get the struggle- it's tough being a healthy eater living with someone who eats regular food.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Yep like others said, salads at a fast food restaurant are usually just as bad calorie wise as the regular menu items see for yourself http://www1.mcdonalds.ca/NutritionCalculator/NutritionFactsEN.pdf

It's okay to indulge once in a while but consider this. Feeding your kids McDonalds food should be very low on your list. It's not just about calories, but most fast food contains vast amounts of sugar (soft drinks) sodium and fat which are seriously bad for kids. It's also highly addictive...sodium can be just as bad as sugar.

I never understood the highly addictive stuff. I used to smoke and I know what addictive feels like. I eat McDonald's maybe once every 3 or 4 months and don't feel a push to have it again for a few months. If you mean habit-forming, well, everything can be habit-forming if you make a habit of it. McDonald's is not special in that regard.

I agree.... I will get their cones, but the actual burgers just suck! Imho.. if I am going to "spend" the calories on a burger, the arches are not my personal choice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    If you're getting so hungry between meals that you'll dig out cold fries, then you need to reassess your diet. It doesn't sound very sustainable?

I am breastfeeding and eat 2 000 calories a day. It's definitely sustainable. I am a binge eater and a boredom eater. Trying to learn better! I have a bad relationship with food.

Confused. If you have that many calories at your disposal, you have room for a burger, particularly if it will leave you more satisfied than a salad (or better yet, perhaps in addition to a salad). Are you saying you need the cushion to binge later?

What often trips people up is they think "healthy" means a diet entirely comprised of nutrient-dense food. There's absolutely no reason an overall healthy diet can't include the foods we love, in the proper portions. That and adequate quantity is what is typically meant by "sustainable".

I have 2,000 calories that I am allowed to eat. That does not mean that I am going to choose a burger over a salad. I am finding healthy foods since I sonr have a good relationship with food... especially fast food. I am doing great on my journey. Thank you!

This time of year we grill burgers - 4 oz raw meat for me and bigger for him. My OH has his on a bun and I have mine on a big salad with a half an English muffin. (Not saying there is anything wrong with buns - but if I have a big burger on a big bun I don't have room for my big salad, and I love burger & salad.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    All the scolding here about your family eating at McDonald's and the evils of fast food salads and not practicing moderation by eating just a few fries or, heck, working the entire meal into your day made me go back and reread your post. Which confirmed that you didn't ask for scolding, however polite and well-intentioned. You said, "I am proud of myself for staying true to my tracker and to my day and to my health."

And you should be. Period. You accomplished something huge, and that's awesome! Way to go @ShrinkingMama2
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    All the scolding here about your family eating at McDonald's and the evils of fast food salads and not practicing moderation by eating just a few fries or, heck, working the entire meal into your day made me go back and reread your post. Which confirmed that you didn't ask for scolding, however polite and well-intentioned. You said, "I am proud of myself for staying true to my tracker and to my day and to my health."

And you should be. Period. You accomplished something huge, and that's awesome! Way to go @ShrinkingMama2

I wouldn't say all, but some side comments on this and other threads are for the benefit of lurkers, to point out that drastic measures and narrow food choices are not necessary for most people to manage their weight or be healthy.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    @try2again I didn't know that, and wouldn't have even considered trying to educate lurkers rather than straightforwardly responding to the OP. Well, that does reframe a lot of the comments! Thanks for that insight.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I get the happy meal when I go with my son. Less than 600 cals and I get a decent amount of fries and chicken nuggets to not feel deprived and my son gets an extra toy. Maybe you can try that next time?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I get the happy meal when I go with my son. Less than 600 cals and I get a decent amount of fries and chicken nuggets to not feel deprived and my son gets an extra toy. Maybe you can try that next time?

The OP made the point up-thread that she doesn't view things like fries and chicken nuggets as acceptable choices.