Keto, fun, but unsustainable

Options
13»

Replies

• JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you! Good luck on your journey.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I wouldn't try a cult diet.

Who says it's a "cult" diet? Pretty dismissive of a way of eating that many people find satisfying and sustainable, especially type 2 diabetics like me.

At the moment, it does have a pretty cult like following much like paleo and primal had 5 years ago. All one needs to do is follow social media and see that it's all the rave right now whether people have medical conditions or not. Tons of unsubstantiated claims coming out of the wood work as well by people trying to sell books and whatnot...cure for cancer and a bunch of other outlandish stuff.

You can't tell from the description, but THE END OF ALZHEIMERS promotes "mild ketosis" as a way to prevent and reverse Alzheimers. How do I know this? Because my 81 year old mother bought it and was asking me questions about it.

The book does a terrible job describing what one needs to do to achieve ketosis, BTW.

Mom hasn't brought it up in a month and hasn't changed her diet, so I think she lost interest after I explained how she would have to change her diet to achieve ketosis and after pointing out that she is already eating a pretty much Mediterranean style diet, which the book pointed out numerous times also has anti-Alzheimers benefits.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    WillYammer wrote: »
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    Yeah, I wanted to give it at least 4 weeks. I really missed the carbs. Sweet potatoes, bananas, berries, tacos, and on and on. Hats off to anyone who can sustain keto!

There are SO many recipes that get you close to what you like. If you're not into experimenting (or lazy), keto is not for you. It's more of a lifestyle than a diet. What are you looking to do? Lose weight? If so, then low carbs, no sugar (all the things you mentioned are turned into sugar by our bodies) is the way to go.

I'm having fun with it. Turns out I like cooking up things that people can't believe are keto/low carb. Two months in and I'm halfway to my 3-inch waist reduction goal.

That literally makes no sense to me.
    If you eat carbs you can have every single recipe on the planet not just the much smaller subset of recipes that virtually eliminate carbs. That sounds like fun to me, restriction is the opposite of fun in my experience.

It would make more sense (but still very, very little sense!) to restrict dietary fat as it's fat not carbs that gets stored as body fat.

I don't want diet (noun or verb) to be a "lifestyle", that just sounds obsessive.

I am so glad that someone else feels this way. I cringe when I read..."It's not a diet it's a lifestyle." I do not want my life or my lifestyle to be about being obsessed by every little calorie or how many carbs I ate in day. If that is how I define myself then I just need to give up and call it quits! I don't want a "name" whether it be keto, iifym, lchf etc etc attached to how I eat. At the end of the day I just want to have enjoyed what I ate and feel as if I am the healthier for it.

Couldn't agree more.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    If a person doing "keto" is not doing 4:1 (aka, "classic"), or maybe 3:1 if obese, s/he is not doing the ketogenic diet. Both are high fat, low everything else, and calorie restricted. Very unbalanced and only meant to be utilized until seizures were controlled and could slowly wean off of.

If that's not what a person is doing, all s/he is doing is social media's bastardized version of it that has indeed become a cultish diet plan. And social media's version is really nothing but its frequently modified version of the modified Atkins (MAD) variant of the ketogenic diet. But don't you dare call what they are doing Atkins, lol.

FWIW, there are old threads full of women on lowcarber who tried to do Atkins Induction Phase levels of carbs/day indefinitely back in the early to mid-aughts, thinking they'd found their answer to stalling out on Atkins/other low carb diet plans after incorrectly climbing the ladder and/or following because of "tweaking" the diets early and often. They all stalled eventually even on that and/or gave up/moved on to other woe's for a variety of reasons.