The best thing I ever ate

Options
What is the best thing you ever ate? For me it was an amazing quiche at Bouchon Bakery in Yontville CA. It was tall and creamy with the perfect texture and flakeiness, it was amazing. I also remember a fabulous halibut with crispy coating and a mango salsa that I ate at Ditkas in Chicago.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Everything in Italy.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    It is hard to choose just one but a few notables are:

Key lime pie in Florida
    Pizza
    Chicken Kabob and Barberry Rice in LA's best Persian restaurant
    Tiramisu
    Goat stew in Dominican Republic
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Concoction of cheddar cheese, scrambled eggs, coconut manna, & salt all mixed up in a hodge podge of decadent dense, "artery clogging" warm gooey goodness
  • DarkTwain
    DarkTwain Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Heh. 😏
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    A crisp waffle with fresh berries and whipped cream (the real stuff, not sprayed out of a can).
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    The Eggplant Italiano Panini at this little pizza place by my Dad's house. I get one every time I go visit.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    The chicken tikka masala at this little place in Hicksville, NY is one of the best I've ever tried. In fact, all of their curries are outstanding. I'm also ashamed to admit the mouthgasm I get when I eat cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory. It's not like it's high quality, but damn if it isn't good.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I was given a small amount of Kobe beef a few weeks ago. Angels played harps, time stopped and every taste bud on my tongue trembled and then exploded.

Didn't know steak could taste like that.

Alternatively, there's this Japanese BBQ in town that serves the best chicken kaarage I've ever had, I could just eat plates of it.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Artichoke arancino at a little dive called Mondo Arincini, just outside the gates of Rome. Oh what I wouldn't give to go there and eat it again!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Duck confit at a restaurant in Montreal.
    Red snapper straight out of the ocean in Puerto Rico.
    My wedding cake (marble cake with whipped cream and banana ice cream).
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    I’m wondering...so many of these are tied to experiences. Would my duck confit or snapper be as good if I had them at home? Would the cake taste as wonderful if it were not my wedding day?
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Probably either my brownies (spent a lot of time perfectng this recipe) or my mini key lime tarts in filo.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Stopped a seriously small, grungy looking diner/bar in a small Oregon town once and had the absolute best veal I have ever tasted. Turns out the owner also had a ranch and supplied all the meat for the diner.

Now I want veal.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I’m wondering...so many of these are tied to experiences. Would my duck confit or snapper be as good if I had them at home? Would the cake taste as wonderful if it were not my wedding day?

I'm sure there's some truth to that. But sometimes those places you expirience food at specailize in that type of food. Seafood I've eaten fresh from the coast always tastes better than if I bought it frozen and made it at home, or got it at a resturaunt at home. Same with my pizza expirience. I had a chicago deep dish from Old Chicago, and while good, it wasn't the same. So I feel like a lot of times, the food really is better then what one could get at home. On the flip side, there certainly is an element to the expirience that makes those food memories so special.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options

I'm sure there's some truth to that. But sometimes those places you expirience food at specailize in that type of food. Seafood I've eaten fresh from the coast always tastes better than if I bought it frozen and made it at home, or got it at a resturaunt at home. Same with my pizza expirience. I had a chicago deep dish from Old Chicago, and while good, it wasn't the same. So I feel like a lot of times, the food really is better then what one could get at home. On the flip side, there certainly is an element to the expirience that makes those food memories so special.

That’s true. Circumstances matter as well.

Once, I was on the 4th day of a 6-day backpacking trip in the mountains. After another long day slogging my 40-pound pack, I ate some peanut butter rolled up in a tortilla and I swore to God it was the best thing I ever ate. :p
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Fresh Sushi at the fish market in Tokyo. 🤗
    My grandmothers rice pudding.
    My Moms stuffing.
  • Emmafire
    Emmafire Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Giovannis food truck in Oahu, hi
    “Garlic shrimp”
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Anything that comes to my mind in this regard is tied to some kind of experience...I think a big part of it is the experience, but also specialty foods of that particular area.

Slow roasted pork belly in Medallin, Colombia.

Ceviche in Cartagena, Colombia

Nyama Choma with Ugali in Tanzania

Grilled Red Snapper caught just hours before cooking in Roatan, Honduras

Fried Conch on Caye Caulker, Belize