Walking my Dog 🐕

Options
1235»

Replies

• jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    We’re back, and it’s time to walk your dog. Roxie has missed you!
  • jm216
    Options
    We got in 13 minutes today, and she’s so happy... off to brush her, since she’s shedding like crazy!
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,337 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    My 2 guys, brothers Cooper and Henry, toy poodles, love to be outside. They especially like to go for a ride on the pontoon.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Speed Demon and i go on runs.
    neo4tnkcm2ij.png

my foster, Joy, is more of a walker
    4a56w6iv5fqz.png

Cuddler is getting old and is relegated to short runs or walks. she doesn't understand
    d55oo4e36jzp.png

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Speed Demon and i go on runs.
    neo4tnkcm2ij.png

my foster, Joy, is more of a walker
    4a56w6iv5fqz.png

Cuddler is getting old and is relegated to short runs or walks. she doesn't understand
    d55oo4e36jzp.png

They are all so cute!!

My boy and I did a 5k/3mile run this morn. Before the humidity hits.
  • jm216
    Options
    I just love to see your walking/running buddy. Feel free to post even if you don’t walk your dog.
  • pilchierox
    pilchierox Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Here are Barney & Mischa. Barney is very active and keeps me on my toes. Mischa is getting a bit older so aches after a long walk. I did try taking her jogging with me a while back and she was fine - unless she saw a collie (which she hates) and then I turned into Usain Bolt 😱😂o2hhvnq5s0b1.jpeg
  • sheriesfzd
    sheriesfzd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you want to walk when it is below freezing this is the dog for you.rgcw0xjh4xch.jpg
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Crucifer likes to supervise the kids at the bus stop in the morning from the warmth of my hood.
    c94xnx3rhjeg.jpg

Zoe and Wash prefer to do their morning patrol at 5:30am before there's too much traffic, so that they can check their pee-mail in peace.
    4xo3my2mdmqc.jpg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Loving the pictures!!!

If someone could help me by recommending a harness that would keep my dogs from pulling? Right now I just have a very short gentle leader type leash for each of them because they used to pull and get away from me. But the leashes are too short for enjoyable walks; just used to get them to the yard and back. So if anybody could offer advice, I'd really appreciate it!! My neighborhood is filled with dogs now so every outdoor excursion can be quite the exciting trip. :/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    jm216 wrote: »
    Confession time...
    I started this post because I LOVE ANIMALS! I love seeing pictures of animals, my Instagram is filled with dogs, cats, rabbits, etc. When I see a picture of someone’s fuzzy fur baby, I immediately feel happy and stress free. Feel free to post pics of all of your fur babies.

I used to have 2 cats before we had Roxie. When the cats were younger, we tried to walk them on leashes... and the would literally flop over and refuse to go anywhere. It was so funny to watch!

Anyway, this is my zen, happy place for spending time with my dog, walking out stress, and hanging out with animal lovers!

🐕🐈🐰🐠🐴🐥

Jill

Pete the Cat is a champion leash tangler.

grppv1mkf3zs.jpg

We eventually successfully cat-proofed the fence. The white mesh did not work; but the green stuff did. It is 36" plastic chicken wire cut in half and supported by one bracket on each fence post, with a little extra support on the gate.

Here Pete is attempting to scale the fence while my OH is replacing the white mesh with the green fencing.

7e5k3woatd6q.png
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Loving the pictures!!!

If someone could help me by recommending a harness that would keep my dogs from pulling? Right now I just have a very short gentle leader type leash for each of them because they used to pull and get away from me. But the leashes are too short for enjoyable walks; just used to get them to the yard and back. So if anybody could offer advice, I'd really appreciate it!! My neighborhood is filled with dogs now so every outdoor excursion can be quite the exciting trip. :/

Years ago, my ex rescued a 75 pound husky who was completely untrained on a leash and unsocialized to other dogs. We didn't get a special harness (although that might have helped.) We just used a regular collar and retractable leash. When he pulled, we stopped. Huskies can pull a LOT, lol.

I learned the best thing to do for working dog breeds is to give them a ton of exercise. So I walked him before work and at twilight, and my ex took him to dog park during the day.

I watched a lot of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan" and my ex was naturally good at establishing his position as pack leader. Eventually The Baby was much better on the leash and all his behavior issues, both outside and in, went away. It was worth the work!

2qghau2wmbvl.jpg

mfvb2f4zu5a9.jpg
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Loving the pictures!!!

Harnesses that are recommended for dogs that pull actually really restrict movement in the shoulders, and are uncomfortable for dogs to wear and can cause structural issues in the muscles and joints after using them regularly over the years.
    They sell gentle leaders that you can attach a regular lead to. Or, look up halti. I use that for my dog. It's got a secondary part of the headcollar that attaches to their neck collar, so that if they slip out of the head collar, they are still attached to you.
    I cannot tell you how many times that feature has saved me with my reactive male in one of his episodes.

Otherwise, there are lots of helpful YouTube videos on how to train your dog using positive reinforcement not to pull :)
    It usually involves a lot of turning around and abrubtly changing directions, or stopping entirely. I know its worked for a lot of people to train their dog to walk on a loose leash. Unfortunately, my own dog simply does not care and its never worked lol
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I liked this video (with the possible exception of the harnesses part - I don't know enough to comment and think the poster above made some good points about harnesses.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mv2yf-yfOI

I used the stop/turn around method. Did not use clicker, treats, or harnesses.

I did the compromising about sniffing thing mentioned in the video. She also mentions off-leash time - we lived in an area with an off leash dog park in just about every town and my ex used to take him at least once per day and let him run around. As a working dog breed, he had lots of energy that needed to be burned off.

It took a few months, maybe 6 tops, before he was a good walker. But the poor guy was a real mess when we got him.