Enlightened Ice Cream

Options
2»

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    This seems to be the new kid on the block in the low carb ice cream game. So far I'm hearing good things about it. Anyone tried it? I've got my eye on the marshmallow peanut butter.

They've been around for a few years, so I guess for a product it might still be considered new. It's tastier than Halo Top for sure. I ate them occasionally over the years when my husband would bring home a new flavor to try, but actually started buying them for myself recently after being diagnosed with an insulin disorder and having to dramatically drop my carb intake. These have been a lifesaver for sure! Still doesn't compare to real ice cream, but it's all I can enjoy right now so it's doable.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    This seems to be the new kid on the block in the low carb ice cream game. So far I'm hearing good things about it. Anyone tried it? I've got my eye on the marshmallow peanut butter.

The best of the "diet" ice creams. I love Marshmallow Peanut Butter!

I'm so getting some this weekend. I'm excited. I haven't had ice cream in four months!

Awesome! I think you'll love it :) Their new chocolate covered ice cream bars are amazing too!
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    echmain3 wrote: »
    Any food with the word “enlightened” in the name is probably trash.

It's no dumber than Skinny Cow. Which is full of sugar, by the way.

Scandalous.

It is if you're diabetic.

Not sure who hit the "woo" button for this but since I'm trying to, you know. Not die? Sugar is a problem.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options

I just had that for dessert, it's one of the best. I like strawberry cheesecake and triple chocolate.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I prefer my ice cream to be naive.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I can't eat their ice cream (allergies) but I can and do eat their roasted broad beans (aka fava beans) occasionally. Very tasty and not too bad in sodium. Nice protein and fiber boost for me. One ounce is typically about 100 calories, 130 mg sodium, 5 grams fiber, 7 grams protein.

Your needs may differ, but for me - their products are not trash. Yeah, the name is silly.

• jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    I am picky with diet ice cream and only end up like certain flavors while others from the same brand don’t tend to like.

Not gonna lie, I don't think the words "diet" or "low fat" belong in the same sentence with "ice cream".... But I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners or the ubiquitous stevia.

But I find if I just eat half the recommended portion (1/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup), not only do my pricier non-dairy Ben&Jerry's etc. last a lot longer - the sugar and calorie hit is much reduced.

It works better for me if I don't keep it in the original carton, though. There are storage problems long-term and also if I'm in the mood, I'm likely to scoop out more than is really needed. So I like to repackage an entire pint into eight 2-fluid ounce (1/4 cup) containers that Oxo makes for people making their own baby food. They are very sturdy and so far none have cracked. I've found that this is actually a lot of ice cream and it satisfies me.

I can always go back to the freezer if I want another one, but that doesn't usually happen with non-dairy even though it tastes very good. With dairy, I get the allergic addiction effect triggered even with such a small amount. (Hence my big stash of non-allergenic junk food in general...) Really makes a difference when junky candy, for example, is made with a non-dairy milk such as almond or rice or coconut. My problem is not the other ingredients such as sugar or fat, so junky is fine as long as they don't contain dairy. So I can eat just one vegan caramel or just one piece of a good vegan chocolate bar. And there really are excellent brands today, so it's not a matter of taste.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    This whole discussion reminds me of a great line from the tv show The Good Place:

“You humans have a knack for taking something great and ruining it a little so you can have more of it”
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    jwoolman5 wrote: »

I can't eat their ice cream (allergies) but I can and do eat their roasted broad beans (aka fava beans) occasionally. Very tasty and not too bad in sodium. Nice protein and fiber boost for me. One ounce is typically about 100 calories, 130 mg sodium, 5 grams fiber, 7 grams protein.

Your needs may differ, but for me - their products are not trash. Yeah, the name is silly.

I also enjoy their roasted broad beans. I'll eat an entire bag: 300 calories, 45g carbs (with 15g of fiber!), 9g fat, 21g protein. The sriracha flavor is awesome.

Speaking of a silly name, the broad bean crisps were recently re-branded as Bada Bean Bada Boom :neutral:
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    my local grocery store finally got enlightened in stock they have had halo top and skinny cow for a few years. I love the cold brew and the movie night so far.