How often do you go over your MFP calorie limit?

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    I go over more often than not.

I'm a naughty, naughty girl.
  • I should also mention they have me eating 1,420 a day which is crap. I set up my own macros to 1,800 (TDEE-20%). To maintain I should be eating 2,200 a day.

That might be crap for you, but at 1800 calories I would gain 1 pound a week. I have mine set at 1500 instead of 1200 and am losing maybe a few ounces a week at that. I'm 5'0 and can not eat what weight lifters eat and nor do I want to. :) Going to give it a few more weeks at 1500 (without actually going over, which I have been doing) and then probably start bumping it down to 1400.

But yes, I go over. When I do go over I make sure to get a great workout in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    When I was losing, I was almost always a little over, and usually a lot over on weekends with my beer consumption....but I never exceeded my maintenance calories and was ultimately still in a deficit of calories most of the time.

Keep in mind that your calorie goal is a huge deficit from maintenance...I think a lot of people forget this and get all bent out of shape for nothing. If you're set to lose 2 Lbs per week, that means you have a good 800 - 1000 calorie deficit built in...going over by a few calories or even a few hundred calories isn't a big deal. Doing so consistently may slow you down some, but as long as you're in a deficit overall, you'll still lose.
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Almost every day.
    Can I eat discipline for breakfast?
    That would fix the problem :/

hah! I wish, because I'd eat a huge bowl of it every morning.

I haven't gone over it yet this week but I've only been tracking for the past 3 days. I plan on allowing myself one cheat day a week (most likely will be saturday or sunday) for as long as I need one so I don't feel deprived. I know eventually I won't even need a cheat day.
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Once a week. But only by a little and I dont stress about it because Im under the other 6 days a week.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I'm not proud, but I usually abandon calorie counting late in the afternoon, figuring I'll catch up before I go to bed (which seldom happens).

But today will be different! I plan to weigh/measure and write everything down on a piece of paper at the very least. It can only benefit me to gain control of how much I'm eating.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Just about everyday. BUt - I exercise like crazy, and i never eat back all my calories ~ probably only 1/3 to 1/2. So its ok.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Several times a week but I'm only concerned about the times when I'm significantly over, i.e. by more than 500 calories. That happens about twice a week and I can really only afford to do that once each week if I want to hit my weekly targets. I need more discipline.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Now I'm bulking, everyday :D
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    I've just recently started having only 1-2 over days/week as opposed to 4-5 a few weeks ago - between adjusting my eating habits when i first started, the fourth of July, and 2 weeks vacation, it was BAAAD. I hat to see the red, but usually if I'm under 100 over, I'm ok with it. I have my calories set to 1650 (BMR) and I try to eat back some of what I exercise - I try to stay under 1800 on most days. If I have one sort of bad day (like 2300 or so) a week and I know I'm good for the week in terms of netting, I don't freak out.

It took me a good 4 weeks for my brain to accept what I'm eating now. I wasn't hungry - my body/mind just wanted to eat more!

Keep doing what you can, and look at the overall weekly pattern rather than the daily numbers.
  • sgoldrupdouglas
    sgoldrupdouglas Posts: 6 Member
    I have not gone over my MFP infact I have a hard time eating enough for the amount of exercise I put in . I hit a wall yesterday, I have been watching my weight daily to form a base line I did more exercise than I should have and lost no weight at all and ate under the amount I should have .
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Probably 3x a week I go over. Usually once time is by a couple hundred calories and the others are maybe 20-50c.
  • weekends are usually when I blow it, been trying to stop myself but its hard.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Never... I can't recall the last time I might have exceeded my limit. Even on a maintenance program I try to stay around 200 calories under. If I eat my recommended caloric intake I gain weight. :smile:
  • -hides diary- never >> -cough-
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Only the days I don't exercise which is not often.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    5 times a week lol
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Lately, almost every day. But I also know why, and am working to change that this week. :wink:
  • larodriguez02
    larodriguez02 Posts: 106 Member
    I go over at least once or twice a week. And yes I get upset too, but going over occasionally is not a big deal, I"m trying to convince myself of that! Don't beat yourself up just keep plugging away. besides i'm not sure what you have your calories set to but mine is set to lose 1/2-1 lb a week, I tried to go lower, but kept going over, so figured it was too much for me. But keep in mind if you are set to that and go over a few times a week I"m sure you'll be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    i started chasing my weekly deficit instead of a daily one because of feeling bad about one day and destroying the rest of my week.
This discussion has been closed.