Experts on getting fit

Options
Hello, the only reason I ask this question is because I need some good guidance to get me headed on the right path and someone who know how to get there. I’m no expert on loosing or how to get the muscle I want. My goal is to loose weight of 34 lbs or more and tone up. I’m 5’9 and weigh 188 im in that range, keeps going up and down. I’ll talk more if your interested in helping me reach my goal for free and become buddies. Free is a big deal I know but it’s up to you! I’m 100 percent wanting this body and willing to work for it or eat what I have to. I also don’t have money to spend or on a trainer. I do have a gym that I go to 4 times a week at least. I just need good advice and tips on how to get there. If interested add me 😉. Thanks!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I suggest you read the sticky threads at the top of this forum and read daily posts on this topic, which are frequent. Start with walking daily and strength training 3x week, then build from there.
  • bodyofartsandmuscle
    bodyofartsandmuscle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Good for you! I suggest you read the sticky threads at the top of this forum and read daily posts on this topic, which are frequent. Start with walking daily and strength training 3x week, then build from there.

I already do that, I actually love to jog but can’t right now because I have a bone spur and plantar fasciitis. At this time waiting for it to heal 😩. I also go to the gym and do cardio and lift weights. I got the basics down but thanks for the help.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

I already do that, I actually love to jog but can’t right now because I have a bone spur and plantar fasciitis. At this time waiting for it to heal 😩. I also go to the gym and do cardio and lift weights. I got the basics down but thanks for the help.

What is your programming? Are you running a structured program? Just willy nilly doing your own thing isn't going to provide for optimal or efficient results.

If you're dieting, you're not really going to build muscle, but you will preserve the muscle mass you have so that when you drop the fat, you will be more defined. Cutting fat is a catabolic state...building muscle is anabolic. You can't really do both at the same time outside of recomp which is an effective, but very slow process and one that is usually started when one is relatively lean or more or less close to where they want to be.
  • bodyofartsandmuscle
    bodyofartsandmuscle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What is your programming? Are you running a structured program? Just willy nilly doing your own thing isn't going to provide for optimal or efficient results.

If you're dieting, you're not really going to build muscle, but you will preserve the muscle mass you have so that when you drop the fat, you will be more defined. Cutting fat is a catabolic state...building muscle is anabolic. You can't really do both at the same time outside of recomp which is an effective, but very slow process and one that is usually started when one is relatively lean or more or less close to where they want to be.

So I need to loose the fat first then work on muscle? I just need some guidance that’s all. So far I have not gotten that. I am trying to loose fat, so if I need to concentrate on that first then great! After I get to my goal then I would like to build some muscle or definition I guess you would say. Not sure what would work best.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Strength train WHILE you lose weight, then keep strength training into maintenance. This brings the best results for most.

You asked for general tips and that's what people have shared, but you said you're not getting the guidance you want. Please read the threads that have been shared here.