Gotta minor gripe-and it's depressing!

Options
2»

Replies

• Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I follow this guy on facebook. I forget if he lost 100 or 200lbs but his story is great and his mindset and just... I've really enjoyed following him

https://www.facebook.com/vwhinds
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy but I lost over 100 lbs at 59. I'm 62 now and still maintaining. You can do it!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I just turned 48 a little over a week ago. It is not the end of the world.

I am still in better shape than about 99% of my peers and colleagues.
    In fact, I'm in better shape than a lot of guys half my age.

I'm 5'9" at 160 lbs with a 16.25" neck and a 32.5" waist, so maybe around 13% body fat.
    Haven't had body fat checked in a while.
    I still coach MMA fighters at least 2 days a week and weight train 3 days a week.

I've also had major reconstructive surgery on my left ankle - twice.

If it bothers you so much that you need to compare yourself to a 20-year old punk then remember that the main advantages they have are based on hormone profiles.
    Simple (but not easy) solution? Talk to a qualified doctor about TRT to help level the playing field.

Either way, just get on with your life. You only have one.
    Worry about comparing yourself to your past self, not someone else.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    stv1520 wrote: »
    DW1Texas wrote: »
    I had the same thoughts when I started. Lost just over 100lbs in 10 months with the bulk of that coming off in the first 6 months. Took a break and have maintained for the last 4 months and now getting ramped up to take off the remaining 70lbs (+ or -). Not easy by any stretch but with a disciplined approach and some support it can be done. I am 47 with an office job started at 398lbs currently around 290lbs depending on the day - goal somewhere between 200-220lbs.

Had some knee issues as well. I started with swimming - getting my activity level up. Then watching calories keeping daily calories at 2000 - moving to a modified keto and intermediate fasting. Then started at the gym elliptical and weight lifting 3-4 times a week. But mostly diet is what helped me the most.

I was probably my biggest enemy getting started - thinking it took 20 years to put on the weight there is no way I can get it off. Biggest thing was to make short term goals - making workouts - making calorie goals daily and weekly. Tracking exercise, calories in and calories out every week using MFP weekly report. There will be bumps in the road just plan on it, but striving for daily and weekly goals will lead to long term success - consistency.

Add me if you like - happy to provide some encouragement - never would have been as successful without MFP tools and community support.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your insight. Did your knees get better as you lost the weight?

I have arthritic knees that were barking at me bad before I lost my weight. After I lost the weight there was a marked improvement but they would still bark at me if I was not keeping active. So I cycle and swim - lots of motion and low impact. I also will run a bit but I take it easy and run at about 11 or 12 mph pace.

Motion is lotion....

If I get really sick and do not exercise for a spell, my knees will start getting aggravated again after about 10 or 12 days of inactivity.
  • amiller92873
    amiller92873 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No, those guys can do it because they set their mind to it and quit making excuses. They did it because every day they got up, decided they knew what they had to do and they did it. Every freaking "I'm too tired, I'm too busy, I'm too hungry, I'm craving candy, I'm metabolically damaged, I have bad genes, I'm tired of chicken, my knees hurt" day. Age has nothing to do with it. I can out-lift and out-hike/trail run women half my age, age is just a number. It takes time and work and consistency and even more time. You can do it. Change the mind set and stop reading their stupid magazine. Or... just give up cuz you're "old" (aka my age +1 yr)... Your choice. Won't be easy, it's gonna suck some days, but is it worth it?