Plateaued With Heavy Exercise. Troubleshooting?

Options

Replies

• IDeserveBetter
    IDeserveBetter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The biggest takeaway I've got here is that my calorie burning estimates are likely WAY off, and adjusting my intake to accomodate that incorrect deficit is probably a big part of what is going on.

Did a little research.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-fitness-tracker-accuracy/how-good-are-activity-trackers-at-counting-calories-burned-idUSKBN18L2OZ
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    I'm going to read up a bit more to see what an appropriate adjustment from daily normal intake would be considering the previously posted equation for calories burned while running. Sometimes feels like reinventing the wheel.
  • IDeserveBetter
    edited April 2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My point in responding was to help you. As people helped me when I started out - when things I thought I knew turned out to be incorrect....

Take free advice given in good faith or discard it - entirely your choice. You asked for help because you aren't getting the results you expect, you stated many things that are simply incorrect, I thought it was helpful to point out those inaccuracies. I'm very chilled thanks, doesn't spoil my day in any way if my advice is ignored.

The process is more simple than you believe and more in your control than you believe.

Good luck.

BTW - the book The Chimp Paradox would be a very good read for you. It gives a great insight as to how our minds work and tools to improve those aspects that need work (the struggles you mention).

Also, for the record, I totally am on board with the whole 'fat burn zone' being BS.
    Part of why I was surprised to not see results with a concerted effort to raise and keep my heart rate up.
    Probably best choice is to figure a better way (including the above equation) to calculate my calories burned myself instead of relying on the fitbit.

But this is me thinking out loud.
    Actually, know what? I think I'm going to start a new thread on that specific topic.
    I've bogged this one down with at least partially unnecessary 'tude and multiple self replies.

• IDeserveBetter
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Yes, calories burns from exercise are often overstated. Doesn't matter whether it's from fitness machines, apps like map my run (that one's notorious for it), this database or fitbit for many people. Just to give you an example. I went on a small, slow cycle ride on Sunday. 83km sounds like a lot, but if you just cycle about and enjoy the weather, stop every now and then to take a photo, and have lunch somewhere it isn't. My fitbit gave me 1800kcal for that. I'm a smallish, normal weight woman. If I use strava's estimate for power, distance and weight then I probably end up at 800kcal. Now imagine I did this more often, and ate those 1800kcal in addition that Fitbit gave me.

I want to discuss this more, and it looks like you can probably help. I'm starting a new thread, if you wouldn't mind following me to it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Yes, calories burns from exercise are often overstated. Doesn't matter whether it's from fitness machines, apps like map my run (that one's notorious for it), this database or fitbit for many people. Just to give you an example. I went on a small, slow cycle ride on Sunday. 83km sounds like a lot, but if you just cycle about and enjoy the weather, stop every now and then to take a photo, and have lunch somewhere it isn't. My fitbit gave me 1800kcal for that. I'm a smallish, normal weight woman. If I use strava's estimate for power, distance and weight then I probably end up at 800kcal. Now imagine I did this more often, and ate those 1800kcal in addition that Fitbit gave me.

I want to discuss this more, and it looks like you can probably help. I'm starting a new thread, if you wouldn't mind following me to it.

Not sure, I'm just a data geek sheep :D But I'll have a look tomorrow morning (off to bed now).
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Hi OP, I just wanted to second the comment you received about being aware that a big running effort can be countered by (potentially subconscious) inactivity during the rest of the day. If you used to be big into your walking and you were also quite active in the rest of the day, you may have been burning similar to what you are now that you’ve switched to running. (Not sure if I’ve explained that very well...).

Also, please do take on board the advice to weigh all your foods, it’s very surprising if you do. Even pre-packaged foods are legally allowed to be 20% higher (or indeed lower) in their calorie count. That would likely wipe out some people’s deficit in itself. If nothing else, humour us for a few weeks and give it a whirl? What’s the worst that can happen? I bet you’ll find some things that genuinely surprise you and tightening these up will help in the long term.

I will try to get in the habit of weighing things more.
    Part of this is growing pains in attempting to slowly add more and more things into my daily routine so that they become habit. Logging at all used to be quite the chore.

Not that it matters to the exact point of the thread, but I'm actually a widow with three young children, so it can be pretty hard to develop healthy habits for time constraints and daily responsibilities alone. The ones that I've established are kind of bordering on herculean efforts already. Not to diminish other people's experiences, this is just a snapshot of my own. Part of why I'm so focused on readings and calculations. It feels concrete, and doable once I become adept enough to use any specific tool accurately.
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    I imagine the general concensus would be that this is an overly complex equation for the same thing?
    [(Age x 0.2017) + (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) - 55.0969] x Time / 4.184}

"On level ground running net calories estimates can be reasonable from using bodyweight in pounds X miles run X (efficeincy ratio) 0.63"