Counting calories

Options
Ayjoh
Ayjoh Posts: 2 Member
Hi a newbie here, could someone please tell me how I put my calories in?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    You weigh your food on a food scale, then search the database for an accurate entry (or make your own). Once you find or make an accurate entry you add it to your diary.
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You weigh your food on a food scale, then search the database for an accurate entry (or make your own). Once you find or make an accurate entry you add it to your diary.

just off the back of this - (and forgive me for asking a stupid question i know the answer to) if you have a general idea of the weight/size do you think you can get away with not weighing, or is it just worth that initial effort of weighing everything until you've built up a spot on database?
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

just off the back of this - (and forgive me for asking a stupid question i know the answer to) if you have a general idea of the weight/size do you think you can get away with not weighing, or is it just worth that initial effort of weighing everything until you've built up a spot on database?

It’s completely worth weighing your food. When I first started I would eyeball or measure my servings, and let me tell you I was seldom even close to what I was actually eating. Sure I was short on some items, but others I was quite a bit over a serving.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I weigh meat, because I have no idea what a serving would be. For most everything else, I do not. I do measure and count, but usually go by the package. Like the chips I eat for lunch allow 21 chips per serving. So I count 21, but I don't weigh it to the gram.

I think at some point I will have to start weighing, but right now I am doing well. I have lost 8.8 lbs in 8 weeks. I usually try to come in under my calorie goal, and I do not eat back my exercise calories to allow for any inaccurate logging. So it is possible to succeed without weighing, but probably only because I make other allowances within my calorie goal.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Some lucky folks can get away with not weighing portions. Many of us are still using the food scale often now that we are in maintenance. Perspective is a powerful and frustrating thing :smile:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on how much you have to lose... I only have 10 lbs to lose, and with such a small margin I need to weigh my food because it have a really small margin of error. In other words, if I don't eat exactly 1700-1750 calories per day, and I go over by even 50 calories, I won't lose any weight.

If you have more to lose, you have a more generous margin for error.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options

If your choice is between cups/spoons, and food scale, one thing people don't realize is that the scale will be quicker and easier, once you learn to use it efficiently. Tips are discussed in this thread (despite the title, which was a lame joke):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive

If you're able to loose weight fine while estimating/eyeballing portions, that's great. If that works poorly, then go with the food scale rather than measuring with cups/spoons, for speed & convenience.