Git yer Potassium Up!

Options
ercarta
ercarta Posts: 74 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
MFPs, how do you get your recommended potassium daily? Only so many bananas a brother can eat. I've had varying degrees of success here, mostly not.

MyFitnessPal is recommending 3500mg daily. I average a third of that roughly. I also understand potassium offsets sodium to balance your electrolytes?

Hit me!

Eric

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Potatoes, zucchini, and coffee
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Milk, berries, beans
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas personally but eat a lot of avocado, spinach salads, and potatoes which are all excellent sources of potassium
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    Orange juice
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Any fruit, vegetable, dairy, bean/legume has potassium. You can also Google, "Potassium rich foods" for a definitive list.

As was stated upthread, the database doesn't necessarily have the potassium entered. Most of the database entries are User submitted and it isn't a labeling requirement.

I have vetted my foods. The foods I use on a regular basis I have checked the nutrition against the USDA database. I then entered the food myself and kept it private as one of MY FOODS. That way I have all the nutrition tracking entered the way I want it.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Any fruit, vegetable, dairy, bean/legume has potassium. You can also Google, "Potassium rich foods" for a definitive list.

As was stated upthread, the database doesn't necessarily have the potassium entered. Most of the database entries are User submitted and it isn't a labeling requirement.

I have vetted my foods. The foods I use on a regular basis I have checked the nutrition against the USDA database. I then entered the food myself and kept it private as one of MY FOODS. That way I have all the nutrition tracking entered the way I want it.

Can you use those foods you entered yourself and saved in my foods in the recipe builder? I use entries I've double checked but having to find them again every time I input a new recipe is a pain!
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I log over on cronometer, which gives a more accurate breakdown of micros. Today I'm at 3530mg, which is 136% of the RDA of potassium, for my stats, (and I still have some extra calories to play with, so this number may go up). I can give you a breakdown of what I'm eating today, if you're interested. But, lots of veggies, dairy and then beef and chicken. No bananas :)

eta: forgot to log the serving of pistachios I'm going to eat, that brought my potassium number up to 3840mg/148% RDA for my stats
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Potato foods (potatoes, fries, chips, etc.). Avocado, banana, nuts, coconut water. Non-fat greek yogurt like Chobani is chock full of it.

Potassium is good for you, and most people eating a standard American diet do not get enough of it. Same with magnesium.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options

Can you use those foods you entered yourself and saved in my foods in the recipe builder? I use entries I've double checked but having to find them again every time I input a new recipe is a pain!

Yes!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato, spinach
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V8
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Coconut water!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is a great source for Potassium.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses, which I enjoy in my oatmeal, has 730mg per tablespoon, in the brand I prefer (. . . but it's an Evil Added Sugar, so others will tell you to avoid it ;) ).
  • ercarta
    ercarta Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Blackstrap molasses, which I enjoy in my oatmeal, has 730mg per tablespoon, in the brand I prefer (. . . but it's an Evil Added Sugar, so others will tell you to avoid it ;) ).

Yeah booyyyy! Sounds like my kind of poison. 730mg p/ tbsp, hot damn! Thanks for sharing! 🤙🏼

Eric