What have people put for their macros %

Options
Hi, I'm new to fitness pal, I have 2.5 stones to loose. I have tried every diet under the sun, but never stick to it. I'm confused to what I should put my macro percentages too. As I'm so used to keto/ very low carb. Atm I've set it too 25% carb 35% protein and 40% fats. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)
ยซ1

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. How do you like to eat? Set your macros to the most comfortable percentage for you and stay within calories, making sure your protein is at least adequate. I have mine set to 50% carb, 20% protein, 30% fat. This amount of protein is adequate for me because my overall calorie budget is not too low.
  • charlieletty
    charlieletty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much amusedmonkey. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I found percentages very restrictive for no good reason and as I have a wildly varied daily calorie allowance due to my exercise percentages made little sense for me.

I set minimum goals in grams rather than percentage or ratios for protein at 1g / per lb of estimated lean mass, and fat at 0.4g / per lb of bodyweight.
    The rest of my daily allowance could come from any of the three macros for flexibility but generally I thrive on a high carb diet, especially when doing long duration exercise. (I wouldn't want to eat 35% protein on a day when my calorie goal is 6,500 cals. That would be a whole flock of chickens! ;) )

Humans are marvellously adaptable and there's a lot of scope for very varied and personal macro choices for satiety, adherence and plain enjoyment within the aim of a healthy overall diet.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I would set carbs/proteins at 40 each and fats at 20. More protein will keep you feeling fuller and it actually uses more energy to digest too! The main thing is to be consistent and stick to your calories. You can change your macros around if you get bored but you'll find what works for you. Don't be afraid of carbs but stick to good whole carbs and lots of veggies too. Good luck!
  • charlieletty
    Options
    I found percentages very restrictive for no good reason and as I have a wildly varied daily calorie allowance due to my exercise percentages made little sense for me.

I set minimum goals in grams rather than percentage or ratios for protein at 1g / per lb of estimated lean mass, and fat at 0.4g / per lb of bodyweight.
    The rest of my daily allowance could come from any of the three macros for flexibility but generally I thrive on a high carb diet, especially when doing long duration exercise. (I wouldn't want to eat 35% protein on a day when my calorie goal is 6,500 cals. That would be a whole flock of chickens! ;) )

Humans are marvellously adaptable and there's a lot of scope for very varied and personal macro choices for satiety, adherence and plain enjoyment within the aim of a healthy overall diet.

Thank you so much, very informative and yes that would be a whole lotta chickens ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • charlieletty
    Options
    I would set carbs/proteins at 40 each and fats at 20. More protein will keep you feeling fuller and it actually uses more energy to digest too! The main thing is to be consistent and stick to your calories. You can change your macros around if you get bored but you'll find what works for you. Don't be afraid of carbs but stick to good whole carbs and lots of veggies too. Good luck!

Thank you so much, yes I'm sticking to clean foods, that's a good idea about changing them around (macros) don't feel so restrictive when you put it like that ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • fitom80
    fitom80 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @Buff_Man my words ๐Ÿ‘
    @charlieletty just feel good, don't trust any low carb myths, 40-50 carbs, 25-40 prot, 15-30 fat is fine. Later you can fine tune it according e.g. your daily excercise schedule
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Why not just start with the default values (which aren't terrible for most people), dial in your calorie level, and see how your preferred eating style stacks up? If you see a mix of red (over) and green (under) macro totals for a while, just pretend it's Christmas! ;)

It's useful nutritionally to get a minimum level of protein and fats, carbs are more purely preference/compliance/performance. It's not an urgent issue, so you can start by eating in a manageable (for you) way, then tweak your eating gradually over time if you decide a different routine is more satiating for you, or more nutritious.

Once you have a clearer idea of your preferences and needs, then you can readjust your macro goals.

I started a thread about this "gradual remodeling" approach to eating for weight loss. If you're interested, it's here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Macros have no significant immediate effect on weight loss. Over the long haul, they could possibly affect energy level or health, so have an indirect effect. They might even affect satiation shorter run, but you'll notice that and can adjust.

The message I'm trying to get across is that you can take a little time to figure out macros, if your main goal is weight loss. (Sometimes it can be overwhelming to try to change everything all at once! :) ).

Best wishes!
  • charlieletty
    Options
    Why not just start with the default values (which aren't terrible for most people), dial in your calorie level, and see how your preferred eating style stacks up? If you see a mix of red (over) and green (under) macro totals for a while, just pretend it's Christmas! ;)

It's useful nutritionally to get a minimum level of protein and fats, carbs are more purely preference/compliance/performance. It's not an urgent issue, so you can start by eating in a manageable (for you) way, then tweak your eating gradually over time if you decide a different routine is more satiating for you, or more nutritious.

Once you have a clearer idea of your preferences and needs, then you can readjust your macro goals.

I started a thread about this "gradual remodeling" approach to eating for weight loss. If you're interested, it's here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Macros have no significant immediate effect on weight loss. Over the long haul, they could possibly affect energy level or health, so have an indirect effect. They might even affect satiation shorter run, but you'll notice that and can adjust.

The message I'm trying to get across is that you can take a little time to figure out macros, if your main goal is weight loss. (Sometimes it can be overwhelming to try to change everything all at once! :) ).

Best wishes!

Wow this is amazing thank you so much and I will definitely look at the link. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜Š
  • charlieletty
    Options
    @Buff_Man my words ๐Ÿ‘
    @charlieletty just feel good, don't trust any low carb myths, 40-50 carbs, 25-40 prot, 15-30 fat is fine. Later you can fine tune it according e.g. your daily excercise schedule

Yes I will definitely do this, I managed to go on a walk and exercise today and now my fitbit is sync to fitness pal and says ive burned 468 calories through exercise. I'm so happy and never realised how much you can burn. Good ti see on screen. ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • fitom80
    fitom80 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Great. Any activity counts if you want to be more healthy and burn fat (or to eat more without worries) I also preffer walks beside strength training but you can add stairs at work e.g.
  • charlieletty
    Options
    Great. Any activity counts if you want to be more healthy and burn fat (or to eat more without worries) I also preffer walks beside strength training but you can add stairs at work e.g.

Yes being healthy is what I want. I lost alot of weight before but this didn't last. I felt great and looked well. Just couldn't keep up with the way that I achieved it. I know this is only my first day using fitness pal and logging my activity with fitbit. But I'm feeling so much more positive about it. And your very kind with your answers very informative. You look awesome btw ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I also do 40f 35p 25c and works well for me
  • charlieletty
    Options
    I also do 40f 35p 25c and works well for me

I'm just learning atm whats best. Great to know it's working well for you ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea since my goal is weight loss rather than some specific performance goal that would require monitoring my macros.

I don't think I've more than glanced at that screen in the 18 months I've been managing my weight and the only time I've ever really give it consideration is when I have a longish (+2hr) bicycle ride planned I'll try and eat a little bit more carb heavy in the day or two leading up and on the morning of the ride.

Other than that I just stick to my calorie goal and let the macros fall where they may. I want to keep my weight management as simple and effortless as possible.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 40- 30-30. The 40is protein. I do not eat meat, dairy, eggs or poultry. I have a pescatarian/plant based Meditteranian plan. This app counts all my veggies in protein. So far I have felt so much betterbecause for years i was higher carb, low or off very lowfat. I find it a reasonable, non extreme approach but mainly concentrate on calories. I go over or under, its never exact but close
    I have competed in figure, ran marathons, personal trained but never counted macros- just calories.
    I am 46 and had not been feeling the same. I am thin but wanted to improve my energy, digestion and anxiety. I added healthy fats andcant believe the diffference!
    I suggest you *kitten* where you are and how you feel atdifferent percentages but do not get too caught up if you are off a bit.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    When I started a year ago I was on 25 % carbs, 35 % fat and 40 % protein. With seasonal change I slightly increased carbs (mainly fruit and vegetables, no I am about 1/3 each. That gives me plenty of scope for a very varied daily meal plan - I don't need a "cheat day" which usually continues into a "cheat week" (etc. etc....) A just stick to the MFP calculated daily calories and the macros will follow according to my body's needs. Started on 170 kg (375 pounds) and so far lost 32 kg (70 pounds).
  • 4LeafMint
    4LeafMint Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started macro counting about a month ago and have had the biggest lose of weight yet. I love it and wished I had started a long time ago. I lift weights 5 days a week at night and HIIT training during lunch 4 days a week. Every day I eat 240g of protein and around 115g of carbs. I don't keep up with my fats except to keep my calories around 2000. The percentages come out to be about 20% carbs, 50% protein, 30% fat. The main thing is to keep a calorie deficit, with high protein and lower carbs. It is very easy to keep track of your macros with a good scale. I have lost about 33 lbs since January and hopefully another 20 lbs by July. I am very muscular so I don't look fat. But my goal is to get around 15% body fat... Right now I am about 21% body fat. I think you will enjoy the macro diet. Experiment with it and find what macros fit you best. Everyone's macros will be different. It is a lifestyle and you will have to discover what is best for you ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • charlieletty
    Options
    I started macro counting about a month ago and have had the biggest lose of weight yet. I love it and wished I had started a long time ago. I lift weights 5 days a week at night and HIIT training during lunch 4 days a week. Every day I eat 240g of protein and around 115g of carbs. I don't keep up with my fats except to keep my calories around 2000. The percentages come out to be about 20% carbs, 50% protein, 30% fat. The main thing is to keep a calorie deficit, with high protein and lower carbs. It is very easy to keep track of your macros with a good scale. I have lost about 33 lbs since January and hopefully another 20 lbs by July. I am very muscular so I don't look fat. But my goal is to get around 15% body fat... Right now I am about 21% body fat. I think you will enjoy the macro diet. Experiment with it and find what macros fit you best. Everyone's macros will be different. It is a lifestyle and you will have to discover what is best for you ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Thank you so much, yes I am on my 3Rd day so newbie to this. I've decided to lift weights and waiting for weight bench to be delivered ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have around 30 pounds to lose.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    For a week I tracked only calories and then went back to see where my macros fell. I found I lean toward a higher fat, lower carb, I also found I don't eat enough protein. I set my my protein at a min of 75gr (20-25%), carb 130g (40%), the rest fat (33-41%). I have different calorie goals for different days. Make sure you get enough protein and fat, other then that eat the way that works best for you. RDA min for protein is .8gr/kg body weight, depending on how active you are, you can go up to 1.6g/kg. RDA min for carbs is 130 grams. These are not set in stone, but make a good starting guideline.