Help me. Gaining more fat than muscle.

Options
I’ve gotten into body building. When I first started I was eating about 1800 calories with lots of cardio. Lost fat and muscle. So I bumped it up to 1950-2000 kc-minimum cardio. However, I did the big weigh in today and my weight went from 123 to 124 and gaining about 3 pounds of fat. I’m feeling very discouraged, I don’t know what to do anymore. Yes, I eat clean. Yes, I track my calories/ weigh the food. Now my fat has bounced to almost 27 % body fat. I don’t want to quit, but I do not know what to do anymore. Should I decrease calories back to 1800. Should I stop and try to get my body fat back down to lower then try to start to re bulk.

My goal is to just be in a normal muscle mass for my age and to be able to lift my weight. Does this mean I still have to bulk? Or can I eat maintenance calories and still gain lean muscle?
I will post my tanita machine results down below.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring this body fat increase?
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Hmm you can try changing up your macros, your workout routine etc. But I'd try not to make too many changes at once otherwise you won't know what's working. Don't worry too much about the fat % readouts. Take progress pics and measurements to gauge your progress. When you've been lifting for a while you'll hit plateaus so you need to change things up to progress
  • chloepaulino
    chloepaulino Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    How are you measuring this body fat increase?

The Tanita machine and how my clothes feel/ photos.

My stomach looks bigger, none of my pants fit me. All the Tanita results show my fat going up.
  • chloepaulino
    Options
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    Hmm you can try changing up your macros, your workout routine etc. But I'd try not to make too many changes at once otherwise you won't know what's working. Don't worry too much about the fat % readouts. Take progress pics and measurements to gauge your progress. When you've been lifting for a while you'll hit plateaus so you need to change things up to progress

I have upped the protein by about 20 grams.

• chloepaulino
    Options
    I can do a lot of body weight exercises easier and have gone up in weights. But I feel fatter, my pants don’t fit anymore and my stomach has gotten bigger.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    All these symptoms with a single lb of weight change? Wow!

Are you measuring at the same point in your monthly cycle? Women tend to retain more or less water at various times of the month.

Are you using a weight trend app?

And... maybe bulking is not a great idea for right now assuming you're already above a BMI of 20 or so.
  • chloepaulino
    Options
    I have measured in the morning at the same time. I’ve just been using the Tanita machine. Should I just recomp instead of bulk? Eat at maintance and lift heavy)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have measured in the morning at the same time. I’ve just been using the Tanita machine. Should I just recomp instead of bulk? Eat at maintance and lift heavy)

I would recommend recomp especially if you are struggling now. It really depends on your goals but bulking doesn't sound like a good fit for you, at least not right now.
  • chloepaulino
    Options
    Does recoump really work, do you have experience in this? Heard success stories?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I personally have only dabbled in recomp, but check out that thread I linked there is a lot of fantastic success stories there. It does take time and requires trust and patience.
  • chloepaulino
    Options
    I have done other machines and bf has been higher or about the same of about 27%
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I have done other machines and bf has been higher or about the same of about 27%

If you truly think you are 27% based on scales, comparing photos online etc. Then I would definitely not bulk.

This, most sources will say a female should not be bulking if over 20-22% BF
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

If they're all BIA (bio-impediance analysis) scales or similar, they aren't that accurate. People with a bit of experience just taking a look and estimating at a person in a bathing suit are actually more accurate than a BIA. Other methods that are accurate are someone experienced using calipers, bodpod, DEXA, and underwater weighing.